Author Topic: Throttle Linkage Options  (Read 11346 times)

mlcraven

• View Profile
Throttle Linkage Options
« on: August 11, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »
Pic shows (what I believe to be) the original throttle linkage assembly on the Cyclone, but when bought by me being used with a Carter Thunder-series carb mounted on a 1966 PI aluminum intake.  I'm now going with a 4150-series Holley on the same intake and I'm wondering what options (OEM, Holley, Lokar, etc) are available in the way of a more modern/tidier linkage set-up.

Any advice/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Michael
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:34:10 PM by mlcraven »
Michael

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Throttle Linkage Options
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 07:09:15 PM »
I like the Lokar stuff myself.  All the cables are cut to fit so any custom length is do-able.  I also like their pedal assembly with the cable included, but it is more difficult to install.  If you can figure a way to go with the Lokar cable throttle and your existing pedal, that would be a good solution.  Your linkage looks like the linkage from my 64 Galaxie, and to make that work I had to go with the Lokar pedal.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:10:36 PM »
I am not a fan of throttle linkage. When you have one bind or stick on you, it tends to make you pucker in places that are best left un-puckered :o

Lokar makes some nice throttle cable set-ups that shouldn't be too difficult to make work. You can easily get/buy/make the brackets that go on the intake or mount at the back of the carb mount and hook to the carb, and it shouldn't be too difficult to make it work on your stock pedal. Cables are so much nicer, more maintenance friendly and never stick or bind if ran properly.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »
Make your own. Super strong and cheap.
You need a length of 1/4" brake line from the parts store, a couple of 90* heim joints and some 1/4" threaded rod and a small
assortment of washers.
I braze the threaded rod into the tube. You can use a propane torch and a small brazing rod.

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »
Thanks guys.  Simultaneous with refurbishing the factory set-up I'm going to build my own linkage per Howie's suggestion.  Visited the Lokar site and if I'm unhappy with my own efforts I'll go with their cut-to-fit cable option.
Michael

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:14:20 PM »
One thing you may find is that the throttle may seem really "snappy". I  believe there is a negative ratio in the stock linkage that slows down the actuating. Since you're going to a 4150 style carb, you may need to move the pin to a higher hole to do the same thing. Unless of course you like the INSTANT throttle response. You'll find out as soon as you touch the pedal with the engine running :)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »
Well, in the town that is home to the world's largest naval base (Norfolk) and perhaps the largest naval air station (Oceana), do you suppose I can find someone who stocks quarter-inch female spherical rod ends?  Or even knows what I'm talking about?  The answer to the first question -- after 5 days of searching -- is no.  The answer to the second is "darn few".

So I've refurbished, re-installed and adjusted the stock linkage.  Or, at least, the linkage that came with the car when I bought it equipped with the PI intake and Carter carb.

Now connected to the Holley, with the linkage rods fine-tuned (read: slightly bent to different shape) and adjustment pins tweaked, the set-up fully activates the carb to WOT, results in good pedal location and feel, and doesn't bind.  Will get a new carb spring this coming weekend -- the grungy old one wasn't worthy of the photo op.
Michael

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
Second photo from a slightly different angle.
Michael

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 10:30:07 PM »
Looks good.  Hard to believe you had such a hard time finding a spherical rod end.  I usually mail order mine from McMaster Carr, www.mcmaster.com; they've got a nice selection of different types.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 06:59:31 AM »
I looks real good. I know it's stock and all, but I always cringe at all the moving parts.
Especially when stomping on it.
I've been to Norfolk in my Navy days, hard to believe a huge Navy town like that does not have a good selection of junk.  :o

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 08:55:56 AM »
Howie: it's more complicated-looking than actually complicated.  During my rod end search adventure I discovered that S&W Race Cars makes a nice billet linkage for FEs.  But I can use the $59 (exclusive of S&H) on other things.  In due course I'll report how the stock set-up handles the "stomp test".   
Michael

machoneman

• View Profile
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:21:27 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 11:13:12 AM »
One thing you may find is that the throttle may seem really "snappy". I  believe there is a negative ratio in the stock linkage that slows down the actuating. Since you're going to a 4150 style carb, you may need to move the pin to a higher hole to do the same thing. Unless of course you like the INSTANT throttle response. You'll find out as soon as you touch the pedal with the engine running :)
[/quote
On my hotrod i have an offenhauser pedal with a throtlle cabel
direct to the carb and it its hystericaly "snappy".I have to start in second
gear to not jump like a frog. Or start in first and put the pedal to the floor and keep it there
untill you gain some speed

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it