Author Topic: BBM 427 block build info?  (Read 685 times)

rj4004

• View Profile
BBM 427 block build info?
« on: June 13, 2024, 09:25:32 AM »

Getting ready to start with build and was looking for info about machining and issues that may come up with this block.  Starting with a never machined BBM block 427 and just wanting to here about any issues that you may have experienced and things to look out for.

NHRA Stock Eliminator build

Thanks
RJ

Please save the drama......honest opinions appreciated

mike7570

• View Profile
Re: BBM 427 block build info?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2024, 10:21:10 AM »
RJ, I have a BBM 428 iron block. A few minor issues cropped up with my build.
The biggest problem I had were thin lifter bores. Bushed them and they’re fine, just caused a re-machining delay and more cost. Some steam holes don’t line up with cometic gaskets and heads. The outside galley plugs had persistent leaks even when tight. It’s a lot heavier than a stock block.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2024, 12:55:15 PM »
       There is an advantage when utilizing a used (seasoned  ::)) O.E.M. block, is that being that not only was it actually finished machined, by someone whom actually knew what they were doing and understood who would be holding the bag if unsuccessful, but was done so and then actually put into service (tested); with the brand-new, un-finished block (virgin  ::)), one 'must' go over.......................EVERYTHING!  Do not assume that as handed to you any effort made is ready for use in any fashion.   ;)

Scott.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2024, 01:37:54 PM »
Only problem I had with my block was the first engine shop I went to installed the cam bearings wrong one bearing was too far one way blocking a lifter from even going in and at the time I didn't really know about the wider front cam bearing and distributor they also didn't pick that up I did tell them the cam bearings are not the same as std fe bearings. They marked 1 lifter bore at the bottom too they said it would be ok but I got it fixed properly and had it bushed and all there work checked at a better shop "John white Racing Engines" he didn't find any other problems with the rest of there work or the block.

Do everything think of them as a semi finished block

apart from sloppy work from my first shop I am very happy with the block and I would have no problem buying bbm block heads and intake if I built a new engine
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 01:39:55 PM by Jb427 »

rj4004

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2024, 09:31:54 PM »
Appreciate the info given, any and all, getting ready to order pistons, rings and such, and wanted to ask people who had personal experience with these blocks. 
A nice OEM block just doesn't have the thicker deck that I have had problems with on factory stuff, and found this BBM new block for a decent price and decided to go with that.
Bushing all lifter bores is a given in my opinion, and I'll check the steam holes for any problems .

Much appreciated

RJ Sledge

bill_396

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2024, 12:09:39 PM »
Other than basic prep, bore and deck, mine also needed a line hone, mains were just a little too tight.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2024, 05:45:24 PM »
I don’t remember if it was an issue with the BBM blocks, but I know there were some aftermarket FE blocks where the oil passage hole in the deck of the block is in a slightly different location than the factory Ford blocks. This can cause lack of oil to the heads, if the hole in the head gasket blocks the passage, or stack up of blockage with head gasket and oil path in the cylinder head. In any case, check you have a clear path on that oil passage all the way from the block to the oil passage in the head.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V