Author Topic: Who are the current good crate motor suppliers?  (Read 744 times)

cleandan

• View Profile
Who are the current good crate motor suppliers?
« on: June 06, 2024, 10:34:08 AM »
Things have changed quite a lot over the past five years and I just don't know who is supplying good crate motors these days.

I am in the market for a small block Ford, (302, 306, 331 range) that is built for easy use, general cruising around and good reliability.
Just a good engine.

Who are the good crate motor suppliers in today's market?

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: Who are the current good crate motor suppliers?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2024, 11:48:32 AM »
     So-called "Crate Motors",  based on my observations, experience and exposure to customer outcomes, all I can say is .............................GOOD F#%@ING LUCK!   :o

And, I wouldn't make one's purchasing decision based on "the warranty" either, as that often will evaporate the moment you have a problem!   ;)

Scott.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2024, 07:42:56 PM »
Also not a fan of so called "crate motors". They are usually built to a price point, with limited choices as per compression ratio, camshaft, cylinder heads,etc, rather they typically follow a "recipe", and often use cheap parts. (I find it extremely difficult to take a company that fits Chinese HEI distributors on a Ford engine seriously.) . If I didn`t plan to assemble the engine myself, I would much rather deal with a reputable machine shop, and have them built it the way I want it.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2024, 08:43:15 AM »
I bought a new GM sbc from Jegs 6 or 7 years ago that was terrific. I think the key to a crate motor is to buy a new one and not a reman. Of coarse that same motor is more than twice the price now.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2024, 10:24:19 AM »
I bought a new GM sbc ............. 6 or 7 years ago that was terrific.

Yeah, well a few years ago we bought one of the GM Performance ZZ4 crate motors (new from GM) and it blew-up within a quarter mile from our shop on it's first break-in run; it hadn't gotten past 3000 R.P.M. yet!  Upon inspection, it seems GM had selected the lowest bid product of some pistons made in India (as cast-in to the underside) that apparently weren't worth the aluminum they were made of (think: "Tonka" toys), and they were all laying in the oil pan!   :o

Getting even GM to warranty that one was a nightmare, even though with investigation on our part, they knew there was a problem!  But in the end, they came around; but instead of ordering the same thing again, anticipating the same outcome, we convinced the customer that didn't he really want a "Big-Block"!   ::)

But, with the exception of this experience I generally rate the GM Performance crate engine program, along with most of the product from the other actual O.E.M.'s (Ford & Chrysler) as relatively good.   :)

Scott.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 10:28:06 AM by pbf777 »

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2024, 12:54:01 PM »
I work for the company that builds most of GM's Reman and New crate engines (as well as current production service engines, Duramax, Mercury Marine, etc.).  I am the Warranty and Quality Manager there.  We have to follow the same IATF / ISO / Quality Management Systems that are required of any other automotive Tier 1 supplier.  We have to use the same parts suppliers as GM, follow GM approved processes and procedures, and all of our engines are tested and approved by GM.  In fact, a lot of our tooling comes out of the GM engine factory.  As they wind down production engines and transition them into service only quantities, they will send us the tooling. 

All that to say, buy a crate motor from an OEM if at all possible.  The OEM's require their vendors to meet much more stringent quality requirements than your typical reman / mass builder operation.    Obviously if OE's no longer support older platforms like the FE, you may have to look elsewhere, but if you are looking for anything built within the past 20 to 30 years, OE is the way to go.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2024, 01:18:19 PM »
      FrozenMerc,

A big +!!   8)

Scott.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2024, 08:04:21 AM »
Thanks for all the information so far.
The reason I am looking into a "crate engine" is the vehicle and the way it will be driven.
This is a 1966 Bronco, in VERY good condition, that is bone stock running the 170ci inline six and a 3spd column shift transmission.

The owner wants a bit more power and an automatic transmission, while also staying within the look of a Bronco of that era....but the Bronco will be a pleasure/fun/cruiser so the power need not be anything special.....and compared to the 170 I think three angry squirrels in a cage make more power....making pretty much anything better.

I suggested a conversion to a small block V8, 302 seems like a good choice here.

I contacted the few engine builders I know and trust and they are all out at least a year for a rebuild.....that is a long wait, but it seems to be the norm in todays market.

I started looking into other options (crate motors) and that prompted my post.
I currently don't know any "good" crate motor builders who will make a non-performance small block 302 (306, 331 are okay too) that will happily take all day parade duty, cruise down the highway without a care, and putt to the ice cream shop while giving stock like usability....so I asked here.

My personal experience with crate engines/rebuilds comes from Jasper Engines....and that was a nightmare to be sure....Because of that I tread very lightly into this area.

Thanks again and have a great day.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2024, 04:49:39 PM »
My personal experience with crate engines/rebuilds comes from Jasper Engines....and that was a nightmare to be sure.....

Yeah, our local Jasper Distributor approached us many a year ago about taking on their warranty replacement repairs, but mostly just complete R & R's, as they wanted to reserve the right in the decision making department of whether it was a warranty or not, and I don't think they ever flinched unless the engine was obviously a total loss, but this relationship ended quickly as we couldn't get paid, not within six months to a year or more afterwards, this even though each job was pre-authorized and they sent the customer and the replacement engine or transmission to us for installation, supposedly to be a "no-muss-no-fuss" arrangement!    :o

Scott.

oldiron.fe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2024, 09:36:00 PM »
   i do not know about bellhousing fit but if nice solid unit to keep more origional why not explore a 300 six - for a cruiser low end will pull as good as a 302 any day -power upgrades are out and about for sure-headers intakes cams-i may have one around to build not sure about a trans-- with 300 not shifting as much for sure /keep org. parts for sure--friend just sold a nice 69 bronco for over 20k--- check comp.products most of the guys on the phone are builders/racer guys!---have been good to deal with--24 mo warrenty base 302 up to502/460(no warranty) other suff 540to598 inch--- right in oshkosh wi. next to howards cams 1-800-233-0199
66' Fairlanes 427 (08/26/67- present)
66/67' Fairlanes
70' Mustang Fastback
66' Dually

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2024, 10:47:33 AM »
     A "300 Six" is an awfully big (external dimension) engine to try and fit in to a '66 Bronco!    ;)

But, as I have often said:  "If you drop it from high enough, it'll fit!"   ::)

Scott.