Author Topic: 1964 390 block with extra main webbing and cross bolt bosses  (Read 1917 times)

Wortttie

• View Profile
Hello all

I have a block as described in my subject line.  I have yet to tear it down but will soon.  Though I will sonic test the bores I was wondering if this block had thicker cylinder walls than the normal 390 block.  My thought is that these blocks were being cast for a 427 bore but did not have enough wall thickness to pass inspection.  I am probably wrong but I would like to know what you experts have to say.  Thank you for your attention to this inquiry.

frnkeore

• View Profile
Re: 1964 390 block with extra main webbing and cross bolt bosses
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 11:26:18 AM »
There is about a 99.9% chance that it doesn't have 427 cylinder cores but, it could have a little thicker cores in it.

Are there any markings on the rear of the block? A picture of that area would help, a lot. Of course a sonic test will tell you what you have to work with. Also, you can pull the expansion plugs and measure between the cylinder walls with drill bits or, I use Allen wrenches and get a good idea of the thickness of the walls by how much space there is between them.
Frank

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 12:40:13 PM »
i have a police interceptor block like that. No thicker cyl walls than a ordinary 390 block

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 04:00:38 PM »
     The additional webbing and the cross-bolt bosses were also seemingly commonly found in the '64 Mercury 410 blocks.    :)

Scott.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2024, 04:14:13 PM »
I  dont know if thats a -64 thing but i have seen several 64 blocks that way

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 04:47:03 PM »
     The additional webbing and the cross-bolt bosses were also seemingly commonly found in the '64 Mercury 410 blocks.    :)

Scott.

That would be very rare as the 410 Merc FE was 66-67 only

Dr Mabuse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 06:02:02 AM »
Hello all

... Though I will sonic test the bores I was wondering if this block had thicker cylinder walls than the normal 390 block.  My thought is that these blocks were being cast for a 427 bore but did not have enough wall thickness to pass inspection.  I am probably wrong but I would like to know what you experts have to say.

I am an expert reader, and long ago learned that FE's being "thin wall" castings, means that core shift is a major consideration when sonic checking cylinder walls.

Also, FE's are subject to cylinder wall flex and the concomitant reduced horsepower effect. Never ever never bore an FE any more than necessary -- a stroker crankshaft is the best means of increased displacement.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 11:30:42 AM »

Yes, my mistake for not being clear; what I perhaps should have said was:  that I've seen and had several of the 410's that utilize a block that has the casting box on the side and up high (not as typical for FE's) that says "C4AE".  And then of course there's the "C5AE' blocks that also seem to commonly have the additional webbing and bosses, but I haven't witnessed those as being so commonly utilized as for the Mercury 410's.   :)

Scott.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 11:48:55 AM »
Ihave one of those C5AE blocks on a complete engine i dont know
how it looks inside

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 11:50:55 AM »

Yes, my mistake for not being clear; what I perhaps should have said was:  that I've seen and had several of the 410's that utilize a block that has the casting box on the side and up high (not as typical for FE's) that says "C4AE".  And then of course there's the "C5AE' blocks that also seem to commonly have the additional webbing and bosses, but I haven't witnessed those as being so commonly utilized as for the Mercury 410's.   :)

Scott.

Nice try but no. Factory-built 410 Mercs were 66-67 only, probably C6ME or C7ME blocks. But one can build a "410" from any 390-360 block (or even a 352). The 3.98 stroke crank did not come out until '66, in both the 410 and 428. Maybe you just saw one that someone built on an early 390 block. I actually have one of those '64 blocks that I am saving to make a 410, as the bores are cherry, and I have std, .020 and .030 pistons. I have another C4 shortblock that I'm hoping is the same

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2024, 11:53:31 AM »
how it looks inside

The C5AE blocks were either 390 or 427 center oilers, with the reason for the new casting number being the new 4-bolt mount flanges

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2024, 12:35:49 PM »
how it looks inside

The C5AE blocks were either 390 or 427 center oilers, with the reason for the new casting number being the new 4-bolt mount flanges

It was in a -66 galaxie i scraped. It was almost to fast to be a 2V 390 in a fullsize but i dont know what it is
original engine in that car was a 4V 390 according to the engine code. I dont know if just the intake is swaped
or the complete engine. Not crossbolted though so most probably no 427

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2024, 10:13:48 AM »
Nice try but no...................

If it's just that I'm failing to communicate properly I apologize.   :-[   But if it's because your failing to understand, and/or perhaps your just not familiar with the subject which I have attempted to bring to light (perhaps not so clearly initially, yep, my bad) and with a closed minded perspective you have chosen to engage another, well then, I surrender, you win!   ::)

But realize that just because the casting number might be "C4" (and it was my mistake to utilize the simplistic reference of "'64" vs. "C4"), this doesn't necessarily mean that is actually the year in which it was cast.   ;)

Some battles just aren't worth the effort!   ::)

Scott.

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2024, 03:36:07 PM »
If you do a little research, you will find that blocks beginning with C5's came with the 4-bolt mounting flange as a change- so a two-bolt C4 block wouldn't fit correctly with the later factory engine mounts

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2024, 04:13:37 PM »
You are just not getting it lol-........................

If you do a little research, ..............................

Oh I "get it", and I'm sorry but perhaps the issue might actually be that you haven't gotten out enough, as I have processed probably half a dozen of these blocks through our shop belonging to customers over the decades (currently have a customers' "C5" example, different I know, here for among other things "cross-bolt" cap installation) and probably still have several in our storage building, these all having been purchased by us as complete engines, all having had 410 cranks in them (another reason why we would buy them back in the day ;)); and we didn't buy any engines/blocks that had been over-bored aka. rebuilt, so I highly doubt the cranks and pistons had been swapped in all of them,..................just not likely.   ::) 

But as I stated previously, I shall comment no further and yield to your greater wisdom.   ;D

Scott.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 06:38:21 PM by pbf777 »