Author Topic: Mallory Dist advance springs  (Read 754 times)

JumpinJim

• View Profile
Mallory Dist advance springs
« on: March 26, 2024, 03:26:09 PM »
Anybody have any advance springs for an old Mallory Unilite mech advance YL distributor. Happy to pay for them.
I wish I had the kit- they seem to be un-obtainium!

mike7570

• View Profile
Re: Mallory Dist advance springs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 10:43:52 PM »
Jim, if I’m remembering correctly I found them in a kit for a different engine make. Mallory made the Unilite for other engine makes that are more popular than the FE Ford. The springs fit just the same and there’s different rates. I even had to purchase the plastic gauge to set the advance limit from another brand.
I think I got them from Amazon.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 10:45:41 PM by mike7570 »

JumpinJim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 09:46:57 AM »
Mike, thanks for the info.
I have looked all over the internet for Mallory advance springs for any engine make- nothing found.
I know it's a long shot and may never find any. I have used this original 3755301 for probably 40 years with no problems and I have the advance key but never thought about changing the advance curve. In fact I bought the new version and installed it on my 427. The new one is a great looking distributor; billet and polished but I don't think it's as good as my old one. The new one is nice and tight on the top side but actually has some slop in the shaft at the bottom. I put a steel gear on it and installed it, also changed the advance springs, I'll continue using my old MSD-7AL and my Mallory CD transformer. I haven't run it yet.
Jim

mike7570

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 01:25:06 PM »
Jim, I found mine - Summit timing curve kit 850535-1 (they show as in stock)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 01:43:52 PM by mike7570 »

JumpinJim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 09:25:06 AM »
The advance mechanism for the YL Mallory is different than the YH-YT. I wish they used the same springs, they look to short. I might give the Sum-850121 a try, I wouldn’t be out much, it’s an inexpensive/cheap spring kit. The picture is my YL advance mechanism. And the instructions for setting YL total advance. It's been a totally trouble free distributor.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 09:32:53 AM by JumpinJim »

mike7570

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 04:06:03 PM »
Now that you mention it I do think I ordered the YH-YT just for the plastic gauge, I still have all those little springs. I must of ordered springs from somewhere else.