Author Topic: Clearance questions Hood and Rockers  (Read 1889 times)

mammyjammer

• View Profile
Clearance questions Hood and Rockers
« on: July 26, 2013, 12:04:34 AM »
I have 2 clearance issues on my 428 powered 58 Fairlane.

First is the air cleaner to hood clearance. I have have 1/2' between the highest part of the air cleaner and the lowest part of the hood. Is that enough?

Next is pushrods to the holes in the intake clearance. On a couple of holes I have for all practical purposes, zero clearance.
How much clearance do I need? (Stock replacement pushrods on decent springs with .541 lift cam)

Might as well sneak another question in.....I have a chance to get a set of  new Comp Cam roller rockers for $275.00
Should I jump on the deal or save my nickles for a  better set of rockers? I'm currently running stock, non adjustable rockers.
Thanks!

Joe-jdc

Re: Clearance questions Hood and Rockers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »
If you put a small ball of clay on the aircleaner top on the driver's side, it will tell you if the engine torques over enough to hit the hood, and witness marks on an intake manifold where a pushrod rubs are common with aluminum replacement intakes.  Just grind out the witness marks if there are any, with a small carbide burr, and reinstall the manifold with new gaskets.  For anything less than .600" lift on a camshaft, the factory adjustable style rockers are more than adequate for a street engine.  I raced a factory ford adjustable rocker arm setup for years without a single failure.  Joe-JDC.