Author Topic: oil gallery  (Read 2205 times)

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: oil gallery
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2024, 08:40:30 PM »
I do like Rory - and just leave that one as a press in plug.  Unlike others it cannot really go anywhere (distributor in in the way).

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2024, 11:20:42 PM »
I'm not sticking my head out on this one!!  8)

It seems that there isn't a bad answer here as long as you're methodical...
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

djburton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2024, 08:17:53 AM »
Thanks gentlemen! That clears things up lol. Anyway, I guess I'm on a mission to do the screw in deal. I do have the Pioneer plugs and they are shorter and more flat on the end than the original plugs that were in the other holes. First thing,found my tap was too short,nobody in town ever heard of the extended reach variety. Ordered one online...they don't give them away. Update to follow...

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2024, 10:56:32 AM »
      Theoretically the press-in plugs should work just fine; after all, in practice they seem to have worked for the O.E.M. just fine, with perhaps what would have to labeled only as rare instances where one might have blown out.  But at this point in time as having to be replaced, I believe beyond the issues of not being installed correctly the probably bigger issue leading to failures is that the product being utilized is just not of the quality of that as originally.  And therefore with the increased instances of failure (after the O.E.'s product has been replaced) this has caused the acceptance in the practice in the utilization of the screw-in fixturing types.

With that consideration, and the fact that once I had an FE that I was tearing down, in which the distributor was lose but just wouldn't pull up and out of the block; after an untold amount of time and effort trying to extricate it, as it turned out the pressed-in gallery plug behind the distributor had dislodged, which then proceeded to provide a blocking function for the removal of the distributor!   >:(  I thread all of them!   ;)

Scott.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2024, 03:49:33 PM »
While working on an engine at Roush's Prototype Shop, I learned that the common practice there was to make a plug from a cut-off fine thread bolt. The end of the bolt was finished to make full contant with the step and the outer end of the plug so fashioned was simply slotted so as to be inserted and tightened with a screwdriver.

To my mind, a threaded plug is superior since it can't be displaced by pressure. Why not be sure?

KS

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2024, 07:24:44 PM »
Thanks gentlemen! That clears things up lol. Anyway, I guess I'm on a mission to do the screw in deal. I do have the Pioneer plugs and they are shorter and more flat on the end than the original plugs that were in the other holes. First thing,found my tap was too short,nobody in town ever heard of the extended reach variety. Ordered one online...they don't give them away. Update to follow...

I enlarged the hole on the front of the block to allow using a 12pt socket with an extension on the reamer and tap.  I did that after deciding that it wouldn't be detrimental to do so.  With that being said, if my understanding of enlarging the hole on the front of the block is incorrect and anyone knows of any issues it could cause, please let us know.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2024, 03:54:41 AM »
They make extended length taps so that you don’t have to do that.  I have a nice sharp 6” 1/4NPT tap. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 07:36:48 AM »
Well I'm stumped. I can not find the tap and I did not drill the hole bigger.
I can not remember what the Geny looks like either. I must be getting demented. ::)

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2024, 09:20:48 AM »
They make extended length taps so that you don’t have to do that.  I have a nice sharp 6” 1/4NPT tap.

Understood on the extended length taps.  As the op had noted, they are more $$ and not as easy to obtain from a local store which led me to enlarging the hole since I had everything on hand to do that. I also liked the idea of being able to use a hex socket for removal and installation.  I'll run with changing the size of the hole is of no consequence since nobody has stated otherwise.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2024, 01:01:19 PM »
I've used a 1/2"-20 set screw before with success. Just go very slow with the tap/not all the way through, so there is a slight shoulder in the threads for the screw to stop at. A couple drops of red loctite for assurance. I do use a 1/4 NPT plug with the aforementioned extended length tap now. Works like a charm. I used the "NPT" tap with a extreme press. "NPTF" plug from McMaster Carr. Those plugs sit slightly further in than a "NPT" in the same hole. Plug seals just dandy as well.

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2024, 07:16:18 PM »
I used a 3/8 extension backvards on a regular lenght tap,

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2024, 07:55:43 PM »
Holy!  I got the short end the stick for sure. The square end on my tap is 7/16 and the hole on the blocks were too small to fit that end of a 3/8 extension.   :o 

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2024, 10:36:34 PM »
RE tap too big for 3/8 drive:

Can you use use a 1/4 drive socket?

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2024, 04:18:18 AM »
Can you use use a 1/4 drive socket?

IIRC, no since the hole wasn't quite large enough for a 1/4 drive socket either.  I have one other block that hasn't been touched.  I would have to check the hole on it to be certain though.

djburton

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2024, 07:58:57 AM »
Success! You definitely have to go deeper with the tap than you would think. Half a turn at a time...not a whole lot of room for mistakes. The ridge has to come out as the tap extends into the lifter bore quite a bit. Deburr the hole and a couple turns with the hone in the bore and I'm done. Hey,if any of guys are inclined to do this and need a long tap,this one on eBay for 21 bucks. Fits perfect in the outside hole so always starts straight.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313032873536