Author Topic: Trickflow heads - gone for good?  (Read 3506 times)

Rory428

• View Profile
Re: Trickflow heads - gone for good?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2024, 09:13:07 AM »
Maybe it just seems that way to me, as the FE is my main engine of choice, but there have been numerous companies that offered some great products for FEs, only to have them disappear, or discontinue them. Obvious examples are Genesis, SideOiler Garage, for FE blocks, it certainly looked like BBM was going to finally be a reliable source for new FE blocks,heads, and intakes, based on their great looking photos of a huge, modern facility, but like others, seems almost all their FE parts have been on back order for far too long. I bought a set of the new Erson FE roller rockers when they first came out over 20 years ago, but they too disappeared some time ago. Dove is gone, Edelbrock, which used to be about the most reliable source of parts for a wide variety of engines, has been very spotty the past few years, Lakewood stopped making FE bellhousings almost as soon as they bought out QuickTime, and raised the prices on QT drastically, it appears that Blue Thunder has almost disappeared from the market, and much of the stuff from various suppliers (for all makes), has gone from high quality, reliable, American made products, to garbage farmed out offshore, to the highest bidder. I am sure the Covid deal was a large part of al this, but many long time businesses getting gobbled up by "investment groups" certainly isn`t helping, especially when it comes to engines like FEs, which are more of a small niche market, compared to big and small block Chevys, LS`s, SB Fords & 460s, etc. I hope things improve soon, but I certainly am not holding my breath.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2024, 09:39:54 AM »
Remember when an aluminum head 390 was pretty much science fiction.  ;D

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2024, 09:48:35 AM »
Remember when an aluminum head 390 was pretty much science fiction.  ;D

Hell, I remember when the Edelbrock Streetmaster for a FE came out in the mid 70s, that was about the only new product for FEs in a number of years. The old FE was pretty much relegated to the history books by that time. I have to think that the growing interest in Cobra replicas was a major factor in the manufacturers taking another look at the FE, otherwise, we may have been just considered a vintage sideshow, like the Flatheads, Y blocks, 409 Chevys, Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and Pontiacs. I have to think that Edelbrock introducing so many heads and intakes for many of these less popular "niche" markets got the ball rolling for the FE, and other less common engine choices.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

351crules

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2024, 10:32:08 AM »
Maybe it just seems that way to me, as the FE is my main engine of choice, but there have been numerous companies that offered some great products for FEs, only to have them disappear, or discontinue them. Obvious examples are Genesis, SideOiler Garage, for FE blocks, it certainly looked like BBM was going to finally be a reliable source for new FE blocks,heads, and intakes, based on their great looking photos of a huge, modern facility, but like others, seems almost all their FE parts have been on back order for far too long. I bought a set of the new Erson FE roller rockers when they first came out over 20 years ago, but they too disappeared some time ago. Dove is gone, Edelbrock, which used to be about the most reliable source of parts for a wide variety of engines, has been very spotty the past few years, Lakewood stopped making FE bellhousings almost as soon as they bought out QuickTime, and raised the prices on QT drastically, it appears that Blue Thunder has almost disappeared from the market, and much of the stuff from various suppliers (for all makes), has gone from high quality, reliable, American made products, to garbage farmed out offshore, to the highest bidder. I am sure the Covid deal was a large part of al this, but many long time businesses getting gobbled up by "investment groups" certainly isn`t helping, especially when it comes to engines like FEs, which are more of a small niche market, compared to big and small block Chevys, LS`s, SB Fords & 460s, etc. I hope things improve soon, but I certainly am not holding my breath.
.  Spot on.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2024, 10:51:38 AM »
back in 83 i bought a set of hookers at Nickels speed shop for 220 dollars and the sign outside said headers sbc 39 dollars. the guy at the counter felt sorry for me and let me have them for an even 200. i bought a streetmaster,moroso breather,holley valve covers ,a mallory dp dist..and an old isky solid full race cam with pushrods and rockers.that was all i could do at the time being an average guy. i used to set around and wish they would come out with some alu heads or something else good for the fe
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 10:53:09 AM by fryedaddy »
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2024, 12:01:28 AM »
I agree with Rory...We are still farther ahead that we were 30-40 years ago..When I built my 427 in the late 80's cam selection (solid) was slim. Intake choices were even slimmer.  So i found a C7-F intake .. Header choices were not good so I redrilled the heads and put CJ exhaust manifolds on. There was no ARP we used SPS rod bolts..When I bought my aluminum heads only Edelbrock had them..I bought empty 427 heads and had them built the way I wanted. They have been surpassed but i don't care..I built my engine for torque not HP...Its a street car...It sucks that the venders come and go..My advice is..grab it while you can...Cory
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2024, 10:16:16 AM »
if I am reading their web site correctly, Bear Block Motors looks to have FE heads in stock
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2024, 11:40:20 AM »
if I am reading their web site correctly, Bear Block Motors looks to have FE heads in stock

That's how it reads.  I'm waiting to see what the Brunson TP head does.  Hopefully that one will actually get poured and in sufficient volume to make our community flush with product.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2024, 05:03:48 PM »
Trickflow update
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2024, 05:41:29 PM »

He sent me an email indicating that yesterday.
Also said blocks are due in August (!)

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2024, 08:47:31 PM »
It's been almost 20 years now since Barry_R had the dinosaur in Hot Rod.
I near fell over reading that article.
I feel lucky to have built one of those Genny's. ;D
I hope the FE parts for the next 20 are as spectacular as the last 20.
Reg FE blocks will become very rare as time goes on.

ps: not trying to date you Barry. ;)

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2024, 09:02:15 PM »
Trickflow update

:o   That's the best one I could use from the choices for a smiley.

Jay, we need a "let's party" smiley.   ;D

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2024, 11:34:48 AM »
I'm waiting to see what the Brunson TP head does.  Hopefully that one will actually get poured and in sufficient volume to make our community flush with product.

We continue to make progress. I'd hate to update everybody every step of the way, because to us the hurdles we cross feel like big accomplishments, but from the outside looking in they probably seem trivial and slow. I figured next time John Bamber or I update everybody it would sound more like "hey we have the castings, this is what they look like, and they'll be available on the website xxx date."
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2024, 01:00:26 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.  Just to clarify my memory but I seem to recall that your TP head will fit a 428 bore without modifications.  Are you still moving in that direction?

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2024, 12:13:30 PM »
It's been almost 20 years now since Barry_R had the dinosaur in Hot Rod.
I near fell over reading that article.
I feel lucky to have built one of those Genny's. ;D
I hope the FE parts for the next 20 are as spectacular as the last 20.
Reg FE blocks will become very rare as time goes on.

ps: not trying to date you Barry. ;)

Was thinking about that the other day. 
Those were some really exciting years - new blocks, new heads, new cranks.
Miss that time....