Author Topic: An All-Aluminum, Flat-Plane Crank, DOHC V8 in 1940! Ford's 1,100ci (18L) GAA V8  (Read 738 times)

hwoods

• View Profile
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

mbrunson427

• View Profile
We have a friend running one in a pull tractor. It did OK last summer, he's still sorting it. Hopefully better this year.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mike7570

Nice!

pbf777

• View Profile
     In the opening on the video displaying the two examples of the Ford GAA's, the one to the right actually appears to be either a Ford GAN as utilized in later M4A3E2 Sherman Tank and the ill fated T23 Medium Tank, or GAF model which was produced later, more popularly for the M26 Pershing tank.   

For additional study:   https://www.theshermantank.com/wp-content/uploads/Ford-GAA-V8-Data-Sheet-beta13.pdf    :)

I have a GAA example  8) ,  that I'm trying to figure out how it'll fit into my '55 T-Bird!  :o   But I just haven't come across the "adapter-kit" yet!   ::)

Scott.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 01:51:16 PM by pbf777 »

MeanGene

• View Profile

pbf777

• View Profile
     Looks like he might be working on the "A-DAP-TOR" to match-up the transmission bell housing to this big-boy!  :-\   If so, I'm not sure as to just how long that transmission would hold up?   ::)

Scott.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 11:14:38 AM by pbf777 »

TomP

• View Profile
How much power does that puller make with the turbos?
I had a chance two buy two quite cheaply. They are rather huge and heavy so the Fairlane wasn't going to get one and I wasn't sure an extra 670 cubic inches would help my ramp trucks gas mileage any. Kind of liked the idea of lots of low RPM torque though. Jim Green ended up with those and not sure where they are now he's passed.

machoneman

• View Profile
     Looks like he might be working on the "A-DAP-TOR" to match-up the transmission bell housing to this big-boy!  :-\   If so, I'm not sure as to just how long that transmission would hold up?   ::)

Scott.

If it's a C-6, about 1 minute warm up time and 3' down the driveway!!!!
Bob Maag

pbf777

• View Profile
      It's not a C6, but regardless I think the outcome would be the same.   ::)

Scott.

hotrodford

• View Profile
I have "wondered" over the years (decades now) if maybe Bud Moore, since he was a WWII Army veteran of the ETO, got his idea for the dual sump oil pick ups, for the TA cars, from the Sherman tanks/GAA. Anyone know anybody that ever asked him about that?