Author Topic: Electric versus Flex Fan  (Read 3012 times)

1968galaxie

• View Profile
Re: Electric versus Flex Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2024, 11:39:09 AM »
I will add a quick note regarding street driven FE's.
Many FE builds do away with vacuum advance.
The use of vacuum advance very much helps the engine run cooler at low speeds idling in traffic.
Use the manifold vacuum vs. ported vacuum source - as one does want vacuum at idle to add ignition advance.
In my Galaxie I have never had an overheating issue.
I used the same factory radiator that came with the car (390 2V) - even with the 750+ HP 503" 385 series engine (278/290 @0.050" 0.790" lift solid roller 12.5:1 CR, 5000 stall 8" converter)
I did change to a flex fan, engine never went above 180 degrees. Street driven.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 11:40:43 AM by 1968galaxie »

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2024, 12:28:14 PM »
Question for Scott- What would be your preferred setup?  I have never been fond of electric fans, mostly because I like to keep things as simple as possible.  More or less getting the job done with the least amount of parts, least amount of clutter, least amount of future problems.  My build is a 66 Mustang with a 482" FE, contrary to my previous thoughts of keeping things simple, I did make one concession to run port EFI on a tunnel wedge.  I have the big '68ish aluminum Griffin radiator and was originally thinking I would put a shroud on the radiator with a flex fan (simplest), or possibly a conventional fan/clutch.  To 68 Galaxie's point, I do also have the ability to manage the timing at slow speeds as well.  What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 07:17:26 AM by Chrisss31 »

TurboChris

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2024, 10:27:41 PM »

He's a one man business. The product is good tho. If you REALLY want the latest greatest these are the guys I'm looking at for my Fairlane.

Their fans put out huge cfm (they have videos showing testing) and their controller is about the nicest I've seen yet.

https://deltapag.com/

That looks pretty slick.  I'd like to see the actual CFM reading through a radiator though.

Here's some info pertaining to loss of CFM that you might find interesting.

https://www.240turbo.com/BrushlessFans.html

1966 Fairlane - 427 - Pond Block - Edelbrock - Tunnel Wedge

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2024, 01:11:14 PM »
Question for Scott- What would be your preferred setup?  I like to keep things as simple as possible.   I have the big '68ish aluminum Griffin radiator and was originally thinking I would put a shroud on the radiator with a flex fan (simplest),

Yes I agree, it would seem that one should always start with the simplest possible solution first, and then prove that it is going to be necessary for something more complicated, more function failure prone, not to mention likely more expensive (one way or another).

I would attempt the mounting of the largest diameter fan based on space permitting (often in the '66 Mustang it is the lower radiator hose exit from the radiator that proves the first limiting factor we've moved these over 'some' in the past, don't know where yours' is?  :-\); this fan generally of what we used to call an "R.V." style flex fans (deep-cupping blades shovel more air!  ;D) perhaps something along the line of this:  https://flex-a-lite.com/17-inch-silver-flex-fan.html  (but do note that they are available in different diameters, and yeah, along with the aluminum radiator a coat of semi-gloss black paint!  ::)); this mounted in conjunction with a well designed fan shroud (if not familiar with what makes for a better design do some homework  :-\); with proper positioning (centering & exposure) of the fan blades in relation to the shroud; then with turning speeds adjusted with different drive rate belt pulleys (note that these fans can produce quite a bit of noise (by-product of moving lots of air!  ::)) at higher turning speeds, but remember your changing the water pump speed at the same time so it proves to be a balancing act   ???) as the goal is have the fan and pump turning at the speeds required in their respective responsibility in the cooling function, but any faster can prove to produce negative returns, including if only excessive parasitic drag on the engine (less H.P. for turning the rear wheels  ::)); and then some air motion management under the hood, this particularly in attempting to limit the sum of air that can enter the engine compartment and under the vehicle without having had passed thru the radiator (this is one of the major problems of these older chassis, as air circumventing the radiator into these areas decrease the required pressure differential to aid in the air flow thru the radiator!  :o).

So, the solution doesn't actually present itself as simply as one might have wished, if only as each instance is unique, but often in the effort to accomplish something in the simplest most efficient manor it's mostly just some thought effort, and acquiring the necessary componentry for the execution; oh, and yeah, probably involves a some of "trial & error" too!   ::)

Scott.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 07:40:43 PM by pbf777 »

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2024, 07:35:56 PM »
Perfect, that's more or less in line with the original plan.  The radiator is a Mustang radiator for a 67,8,9... FE equipped car, hopefully it'll give me a little more room for a fan than the original radiator.  It is wider, but the lower hose is not offset all the way to the edge of the lower tank.  Once I get a water pump on the block I'll have a better idea of where to start.  I appreciate your input and the links you sent!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2024, 07:55:11 PM »
    If you wanted something more O.E.M. in presentation, note that Ford also supplied a 7-blade flex fan ford the big-blocks, but these often seem somewhat coveted and therefore often quite pricey:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155441372365

Otherwise there such things as this as a possible option also: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184805950586?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=184805950586&targetid=1645685074528&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9011792&poi=&campaignid=20133407470&mkgroupid=147476396765&rlsatarget=aud-1315132079929:pla-1645685074528&abcId=9312979&merchantid=108712546&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2KitBhCIARIsAPPMEhLSE8JwW-0NOMaQGyd-S-6awFvciFGTZC6GLI7BKAdOeziTUzp4kb8aAptMEALw_wcB

And there are others.   :)

Scott.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 08:10:23 PM by pbf777 »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2024, 09:27:09 PM »
I have one of those Ford "meatkleavers"  like in Scotts post It moves alot of air
You can feel it pulling on your pantlegs when you stand in front of the car and
manipulate the throttle
I had it on the 66 fairlane i had, from the front you heard the fan before you heard the engine
OMG :o $500 for a rattlecan restored one with runnings i must check if mine is a cobrajet one
D0TA ? T isnt that a truck fan?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 09:34:18 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Dr Mabuse

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2024, 06:33:00 PM »
If someone wanted to avoid the "modern" electric fan radiator cooling application, Ford's OEM plan in the 1960's was a thermal clutch fan (usually included with air conditioning). Finding a blade to match might be a problem, but any local automotive A/C service shop should be able to supply a set.

re:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1966,galaxie,7.0l+428cid+v8,1332863,cooling+system,radiator+fan+clutch,6812

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/cooling+system,radiator,radiator+fan+assembly,2181

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2024, 12:05:34 PM »
Show you what I run - you may not like it, but it works and I've ben running the setup for years street/track/racing, etc.  Can control the staging temp with these, even in west Texas when the staging lanes are 140F+.

31x19 generic Summit Racing dual core aluminum radiator.  Fans are off an 90s LT1 Camaro application.