Author Topic: What would it take to install a Whipple or Kenne-Bell on a FE?  (Read 1310 times)

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
What would it take to install a Whipple or Kenne-Bell on a FE?
« on: December 28, 2023, 05:57:22 PM »
Seeing all the new tech with superchargers for the late model engines, but have never seen a Whipple or Kenne-Bell supercharger on a FE engine.  Would it be that difficult to do, or is the Paxton-style and Roots blowers just that much more straightforward an installation?
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: What would it take to install a Whipple or Kenne-Bell on a FE?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 07:34:04 PM »
      All your gonna need is the:  "A-DAP-TOR-KIT"!   ::)

Which would have to be created; very possible, but probably ending up seemingly very expensive!   :o

We have created manifold fabrications for mounting different blowers and superchargers to engines which the option was not readily available, and it often in the endeavor for a proper outcome, this mushrooms into something more complicated than that at first anticipated.   ???

Scott.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 09:44:30 PM »
I worked with a guy at Whipple several times, trying to get one of their superchargers to work with one of my intake adapters; I thought that would be a pretty cool option.  One issue is to really do it right, you need an intercooler installed below the supercharger.  That led to some pretty cramped spacing that we didn't think would work.  Along with that you have the issue of the belt getting in the way of the stock FE distributor (which would be solved with a crank trigger, coil pack ignition, feeding the charge in from the rear (ducting gets in the way of the shock towers and export brace on a Mustang/Fairlane), injector position and plumbing, etc.  If you went to a dedicated manifold for the Whipple, you could raise up the supercharger enough to make the intercooler work, which is the major hurdle, but that would be a low volume and expensive casting that would stick through the hood, if you could even find a foundry that would do it.  Raising it to stick through the hood kind of defeats the purpose, IMO.  Anyway, it is not an easy problem, but could be done with the right custom parts.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 08:34:57 AM »
I have wanted to do one for a long time, using one of Jay's adapters.
See his comments above....

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 09:42:17 AM »
Here's what you need. Hogan built the intake. Maybe they still have drawings for it? In the box next to it is an intercooler that mounts between the two plates.

I measured from the china wall surface up to the top, it's actually an inch shorter than a 2x4 medium riser intake with an oval air cleaner on it. Would easily fit under the hood of a Mustang.

This is an old AutoRotor blower, which is what Kenna Bell originally used. I plan on using something newer that's a little more efficient. I'd also prefer a rear drive blower that has the air inlet in the front.

I'm going to get around to making it happen, my '62 Galaxie is priority, then after proabbly do my '66 Fairlane with this setup?

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 09:52:36 AM »
Found another picture

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 10:56:00 AM »
I measured from the china wall surface up to the top, it's actually an inch shorter than a 2x4 medium riser intake with an oval air cleaner on it. Would easily fit under the hood of a Mustang.

Just asking, but even with the cooler in place also?  Maybe just the picture angle but just looking at it, and I sure didn't measure anything, but it sure "looks" taller?............................ :-\

B.T.W.

......................., but have never seen a Whipple or Kenne-Bell supercharger on a FE engine.

My personal opinion based on previous experiences, I avoid the latter!   ;)

Scott.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 11:18:25 AM by pbf777 »

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 12:01:14 PM »
Here's what you need. Hogan built the intake. Maybe they still have drawings for it? In the box next to it is an intercooler that mounts between the two plates. ...

Hmmm.  I'm thinking that costs more than my house.  Maybe even getting into Ukraine aid territory.

Russ67Scode

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2023, 08:20:43 PM »
Damm I need that intake !!!  Want some turbo stuff for a FE !!!!
BP 520 ci BBM Twin turbo FAST EFI

Dr Mabuse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2023, 10:00:39 AM »
Local to me (one mile from my house) is the TorqStorm Superchargers shop. They build their S/C's in house, and offer single and dual mounts. They are street oriented, not really meant for any racing applications:

"TorqStorm Superchargers® is a rapidly growing, popular supercharger for the average individual looking to make a significant horsepower and torque gain with their vehicle.

Capable of flowing 1250cfm, Torqstorm Superchargers® are able to support over 700hp individually, and over 1200hp with our Twin Supercharger kits!!

Self contained oil system, straight cut gears, ceramic ball bearings, 8 blade 75 mm billet impeller, and 3/4″ thick mounting brackets. We are able to provide you one of the most brute, forceful, and efficient superchargers on the market."

re:
https://torqstorm.com/product/kits_single_big-block-ford-fe/

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 10:19:39 AM »
You guys got me intrigued, and I have the mock-up block in the drag car, so I decided to throw the blower intake on and see.

Here's the problem..... this Hogan's intake is flat and doesn't have any angle to it like the stock intakes. The rear of the blower where I measured height is just fine and would sit below the hood, the front of the blower is a different story. The blower really needs to sit perfectly flat and parallel with the engine so that the blower belt doesn't have a tendency to work it's way off.

I think it may work under the hood of a 66-67 Fairlane with a 427 scoop. As for a Mustang, only if you want to show off some blower through the hood. In order to run an intercooler it would make the problem even worse. I'm thinking methanol might be the only option.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 03:16:05 AM »
There is a Whipple or similar screw blower with a carb flange on top. Someone has one on a street rod with BB Chevy around here. Carb sits at the back of the blower so in the way of the firewall for a pickup and would be too tall to fit most car hoods.

Edit: that would be a good use for an Offy 360 flat intake, those things look like a blower plenum.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 03:18:09 AM by TomP »

482supersnake

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 02:02:21 PM »
https://youtu.be/HW7L86FGQB0?si=i_xxqJDC432NrC_0

Something like this might work on Jay's adapter.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2024, 12:17:57 PM »
I think it may work under the hood of a 66-67 Fairlane with a 427 scoop. As for a Mustang...........................

As I have stated to my customers in response to the question of:  "Will it fit?", I say: If you slam the hood hard enough the first time, it'll fit thereafter!   ::)

Scott.