Author Topic: Calliope Engine Project  (Read 5640 times)

kcoffield

• View Profile
    • inlinecarb.com
Re: Calliope Engine Project
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2024, 12:50:40 PM »
Kelly, I will be using a 4 axis CNC machine on these heads.  There will be at least two setups required, maybe three depending on the spark plug angle...

Does the 4th come in the form of a rotating pallet? It's probably the least of your machining worries but line boring the throttle shafts (from each end?) may take some reach! I'm sure you've got a plan of attack.

Best,
Kelly

mike7570

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2024, 02:03:53 PM »
Kelly, I will be using a 4 axis CNC machine on these heads.  There will be at least two setups required, maybe three depending on the spark plug angle...

Does the 4th come in the form of a rotating pallet? It's probably the least of your machining worries but line boring the throttle shafts (from each end?) may take some reach! I'm sure you've got a plan of attack.

Best,
Kelly

Maybe forget the throttle shafts and mount dual in-line Autolite carbs :)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2024, 02:43:01 PM »

Best,
Kelly

The 4th is actually a trunnion table, with one side bolting to an upright 4th axis and the other side on a pivot.  The CNC machine has 36" from the spindle nose to the table, so with a long drill I can drill at least through two of the throttle bores.  Not sure if I can get three, or all four in one drilling operation, so if I can't, it will be drill two, rotate 180 degrees, and then drill the other two.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2024, 03:15:35 PM »
You could do it on a Bridgeport, with a 90° head.

Slide throttles, would be another option.
Frank

kcoffield

• View Profile
    • inlinecarb.com
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2024, 08:30:16 AM »
.......The 4th is actually a trunnion table, with one side bolting to an upright 4th axis and the other side on a pivot.

That's how my fourth is set up. The post processor makes my head hurt. I built a universal intake machining fixture for manual machining that has a sled/table with one end mounted in a rotary table and the other in pivot.......but all manual. Serves well for one-offs but wouldn't be the end of the world to manually reposition the 4th between ops on a 3-axis machine.

The CNC machine has 36" from the spindle nose to the table,

......I'm envious....that's a real machine.

.....so with a long drill I can drill at least through two of the throttle bores.  Not sure if I can get three, or all four in one drilling operation, so if I can't, it will be drill two, rotate 180 degrees, and then drill the other two.

FWIW, coming from someone who has made many inline throttle bodies, other than set up reduction and convenience, I'd tell you not to go out of your way to drill them in one op. Trying to gun drill shaft holes of such a small diameter and length without very specialized machines, tooling, and fixturing, can be a very unrewarding exercise.

Even if they are machined to perfection through all bores as far as position and alignment, with throttle plates that are suitable fit to the bores, the throttle shafts will still be prone to binding due to thermal growth of the head versus shaft, mounting forces, and just how much things tend to move around on their own over time. I don't know how the original was set up, but I think I'd just plan to install a zero backlash coupling that can tolerate small misalignment and axial displacement between each bore, and call it a day.

All said, I'm certain much bigger machining challenges await with the block and other components. Definitely a man's sized job.

Best,
Kelly
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 08:38:53 AM by kcoffield »

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2024, 10:08:57 AM »
They had some really cool machinery at Ford's EMDO (Engine Manufacturing Development Operations) Building, where most of that original stuff was made.  Gun drilling stuff like that was a breeze for those guys. 

When I was there they were experimenting with super high speed gun drilling of 5.0 block oil galleries.  The ceramic drills had 5,000 psi coolant coming out the tips, and they would run the length of the block in under three seconds  :o  It was exciting when things went pear-shaped though.  The room walls and ceiling looked like someone had been tossing grenades in there.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2024, 02:06:54 PM »
Wow, Professor, this is an amazing project. How many copies are you going to make? I would think at least a dozen would easily sell for big $$.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2024, 02:18:37 PM »

...Even if they are machined to perfection through all bores as far as position and alignment, with throttle plates that are suitable fit to the bores, the throttle shafts will still be prone to binding due to thermal growth of the head versus shaft, mounting forces, and just how much things tend to move around on their own over time. I don't know how the original was set up, but I think I'd just plan to install a zero backlash coupling that can tolerate small misalignment and axial displacement between each bore, and call it a day...

Kinsler makes those:

https://kinsler.com/Shop/product/right-hand-plain-38-dia-shaft-no-arm/

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2024, 08:30:32 PM »
AND---They certainly are proud of them, too. But then, they're proud of anything that comes within several blocks of them.

I've seen misalignment links made with two counter-wound springs ,one inside the other, with attachment sleeves on the ends that'd also work. I believe they were intended to connect two side-by-side DCOE Weber carbs. I think they make links made from flat spring wire that has been corrugated in the middle and has attachment sleeves on the ends as well.

KS
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 08:35:36 PM by cammerfe »

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2024, 08:47:45 PM »
For small misalignments, beam couplings are really good.  They have no backlash and they're quite stiff in torsion:

A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2024, 12:26:59 PM »
     Note that the Kinsler product is intended to not only allow for shaft misalignment but also permits adjustment for the rotational shaft/butterfly timing position.   :)

Scott.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2024, 09:21:48 AM »
Picked up the Calliope heads from the foundry yesterday, along with the tunnel port heads.  Here are a bunch of pictures.  One thing that I did not realize before I picked them up is that the throttle shaft is not open between the runners; the casting is solid all the way across.  So there is no chance to use any of the flex type couplings in the middle.  We may have to either machine the castings to open these areas up, or have the throttle bores gun drilled to make sure they are perfectly straight. 

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

482supersnake

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2024, 10:25:47 AM »
I'll keep buying lottery tickets so I can get a few of these when complete!!😂

Getting a little ahead of the project here but do you know what the bellhousing bolt pattern on the block will be? Would it be feasible to make it a small block or mod motor pattern so there are more bellhousing options?

Great work!!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2024, 11:09:25 AM »
I'm not sure what it is, but I'd guess 429-460.  May be different though, it had to fit whatever transaxle Ford was planning to use in the car...
Jay Brown