Author Topic: Water base solvent for parts washer - what are you using?  (Read 919 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Water base solvent for parts washer - what are you using?
« on: December 06, 2023, 01:28:34 PM »
I recently bought a Homak parts washer with pump. Now I need solvent that is water based (pump required). What have you had luck with? Just trying to clean any or most car parts during my projects. I don't have a heater on the washer so a non-heated water base solvent is what I plan to start with.

Thanks,
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

winr1

Re: Water base solvent for parts washer - what are you using?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 05:29:23 PM »
I have Simple green Pro HD in one parts washer, has not affected any aluminum yet

The other parts washer has tractor supply solvent... SH2000 or such

Also have a large bucket with water and citric acid for rust and a cut off 50 gallon barrel made into an electrolosis vat

Ricky.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 06:12:53 PM »
SNB-130
Works well with room temp water and works really well with moderately warm/hot water.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 08:24:30 PM »
We have switched from mineral spirits to the tractor supply stuff

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 08:43:05 PM »
So far, I have not been impressed with any of the water based "solvents" so far, so I use real solvent in my solvent tank, for dirty stuff. That said, I have been fairly happy with Simple Green in my Ultra Sonic cleaning machine for cleaning carburetor components, although I do wash any heavy grime off in the solvent tank first..
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 10:21:32 AM »
Same - use the Tractor Supply  PSC 1000 in a large HF tank, no issues in many years.  With any tank, make sure you set up some easy way to drain the tank.  I converted to a larger gate valve vs just a plug in the bottom.  Lazy like that.

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 10:57:13 AM »
Same - use the Tractor Supply  PSC 1000 in a large HF tank, no issues in many years.  With any tank, make sure you set up some easy way to drain the tank.  I converted to a larger gate valve vs just a plug in the bottom.  Lazy like that.

But is it safe for a pump that calls for water base solvent? This is Petroleum Distillate. Not sure if it is compatible with my pump?

Thanks,
Doug Bender

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 04:09:48 PM »

But is it safe for a pump that calls for water base solvent? This is Petroleum Distillate. Not sure if it is compatible with my pump?

Thanks,

It said on mine that it required waterbased solvent but as the rebell i am.......I used regular petroleum based solvent and have done for 10
years. 
The problem i had initial, was that the degreeser i used was for washing trucks and tractors etc
And it contained wax to protect the paint, not good when you dumped the parts in the solvent
to soak for a few days.
It built up a layer of wax on them that was a pain to get rid of

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 11:08:49 PM »
I also use PSC-1000 from Tractor Supply. Been using for years in my Harbor Freight tank. Works very well. I did do some upgrades to the tank, but it has the "stock" pump, lol.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2023, 08:15:21 AM »
Thank you all for your responses.
Doug Bender

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2023, 10:33:52 AM »
As an extra tip - we made a deal out of an FE oil filter adapter and run the solvent through an FL-1A oil filter.. Change the filter when flow slows down.  Makes the solvent last a lot longer.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 11:58:30 AM »
I keep a couple of shop towels placed over the drain to catch most of the particulate from entering the tank.  That helps with keeping the fluid cleaner and you can dispose of the towels when they get really nasty.   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2023, 11:44:11 AM »
One way to get a "heated tank" is to purchase one of the magnetic oil pan heaters.....provided your tank is metallic.
Attach the magnetic heater to the side/bottom of the tank (outside of course) and plug it in.....pretty soon you have heated solvent.

Installing a drain valve of some type right from the get go is a great step in making all other fluid changes, cleaning, draining better because the plug is just a mess waiting to happen.

I have installed a ball valve along with some AN fittings so I can attach various things to the drain of the tank.
A regular hose, made from scrap braided line and old AN fittings, to run when simply draining the tank.
That same regular hose also attaches to an oil filter adaptor so I can filter the drained fluid if I choose and reuse it...I use standard FL1A filters.

One of my favorite water based cleaning fluids is standard Dawn dish soap.
If will get a bit foamy if not careful, but it really doea a great job cleaining grease from parts, it has not bad odor or fumes, and is relatively easy to dispose of at the recycler.

One caveot when using Dawn dish soap....it will begin to mold over time after being contaminated with dirty gunk..