Author Topic: 67 Fairlane rear glass  (Read 390 times)

2013cossj

• View Profile
67 Fairlane rear glass
« on: November 15, 2023, 08:34:38 AM »
Hi All. The rear glass in my 67 Fairlane 'vert is coming away from the vinyl. There is absolutely no sign of how this was stuck in. No residue, no tape  etc. Even the areas that are still stuck show no signs, the glass is completely transparent. Does anyone know what you use to adhere this glass?

Jb427

• View Profile
Re: 67 Fairlane rear glass
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 11:38:43 AM »
The rear glass is only held in by the window rubber and then the out side chrome trim is pushed into a clip
There should not be any glue used to hold the rear glass in

I am not sure if you mean that your interior roof lining has come out around or near the rear glass? The roof lining is glued with contact glue before you fit the rear glass and it is wrapped around the lip that your rear glass rubber locates too and the rubber helps hold it in.

if you wanted to fix that the rear glass should be removed then you glue the vinyl carefully " if the roof lining is old it can very easily be ripped take extra care"

The outside trim will get is very delicate DO NOT try and remove it with out knowing how they work as far as i know they are not reproduced and would cost lots of time and money to find a new second hand set. A good car glass fitter should be able to remove the rear trim and glass with out any damage and refit the glass after the repair I would replace the rubber at the same time. 

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 12:13:29 PM »
The rear glass is only held in by the window rubber and then the out side chrome trim is pushed into a clip
There should not be any glue used to hold the rear glass in

I am not sure if you mean that your interior roof lining has come out around or near the rear glass? The roof lining is glued with contact glue before you fit the rear glass and it is wrapped around the lip that your rear glass rubber locates too and the rubber helps hold it in.

if you wanted to fix that the rear glass should be removed then you glue the vinyl carefully " if the roof lining is old it can very easily be ripped take extra care"

The outside trim will get is very delicate DO NOT try and remove it with out knowing how they work as far as i know they are not reproduced and would cost lots of time and money to find a new second hand set. A good car glass fitter should be able to remove the rear trim and glass with out any damage and refit the glass after the repair I would replace the rubber at the same time.
He has a convertible. Your solution is good for a metal window opening.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 12:42:49 AM »
My 67 vert did this a few years ago. I used 3M automotive VHB (very high bond) double sided tape. It is available in clear, grey and black in different widths. It is just starting to fail again so I am about to do it again. Probably lasted about 3-4 years. I don't bother to unzip though when I drop the top.