Author Topic: Please Help! Holley Terminator 2x4 mounting issue  (Read 1564 times)

62_BattleBird

• View Profile
Please Help! Holley Terminator 2x4 mounting issue
« on: November 13, 2023, 12:02:44 AM »
Ok, please forgive my ignorance here, but as you can see from the pictures the carbs do not fit when mounted sideways (which they have to be due to space). I looked around for some sort of adapter plate or something, and was unable to find anything. I waited 6mo for this to finally come in and now I'm at a complete loss and hope I didn't waste almost $3k. If anyone has any advice at all I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
Re: Please Help! Holley Terminator 2x4 mounting issue
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 06:07:20 AM »

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 06:33:37 AM »
These show as in stock from Offy but 200 bucks.  Don't know if the center rib would cause problems or not.

Pat

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-5832
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

62_BattleBird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 09:58:13 PM »
These work. Out of stock but if you have a mill they are easy to make.

https://www.edelbrock.com/shop/accessories/carb-adapter-mounts-4150-standard-flange-holley-carbs-sideways-on-tunnel-rams-2694.html

Awesome, thank you. I’ve got it set to notify me when in stock. If the Offy ones don’t work, I’ll give these a try.

62_BattleBird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 09:59:32 PM »
These show as in stock from Offy but 200 bucks.  Don't know if the center rib would cause problems or not.

Pat

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-5832

I just ordered a set and will be picking them up tomorrow (live about 20mi from the Arlington TX location). I figure I could cut out that rib if it interferes. Thanks a ton for the heads up!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 11:00:27 AM »
       Apparently the issue is solely the existing bolt spacing when the carb/T.B. are turned 90 degrees/sideways (though there may prove to be linkage issues impacting the plenum crossover/balance passage also?  :-\)?  If so, then yes the 90 degree adapters are an option (check 4V bore positioning & sizing  ;)), but mostly back in the day of doing this we would choose to add material thru heli-arc welding in order to present bosses for the drilling and tapping of the appropriately positioned threaded holes.   :)

Scott.

P.S.: I have a Tunnel-Wedge intake with two 850 C.F.M. "Center-Squirters" mounted sideways in this fashion hanging on the wall.  8)

62_BattleBird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 11:54:53 PM »
Well, the Offy solution didn't work as it seems they're simply an adapter to shift the carb back about 1/2in. I also purchased an adapter plate from Alkydigger (https://www.alkydigger.net/product/TBS4300.html) and wasted almost $300 there lol, so it looks like I'm going to have to learn how to make my own adapters. I'll update this thread as I make progress for anyone interested.

62_BattleBird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2023, 12:00:33 AM »
       Apparently the issue is solely the existing bolt spacing when the carb/T.B. are turned 90 degrees/sideways (though there may prove to be linkage issues impacting the plenum crossover/balance passage also?  :-\)?  If so, then yes the 90 degree adapters are an option (check 4V bore positioning & sizing  ;)), but mostly back in the day of doing this we would choose to add material thru heli-arc welding in order to present bosses for the drilling and tapping of the appropriately positioned threaded holes.   :)

Scott.

P.S.: I have a Tunnel-Wedge intake with two 850 C.F.M. "Center-Squirters" mounted sideways in this fashion hanging on the wall.  8)

Thanks a ton for the insight. I'm going to learn how to make my own adapters through trial and error (I possess none of the required skill at the moment :) ) as every other off the shelf solution has failed thus far. I just purchased a multi-process welder and a plasma cutter from eastwood and will begin to work on welding technique. I also bought some large sections of 1/2in thick (wanted 1in but it wasn't readily available on amazon) aluminum to practice on. With any luck I'll have a rough draft version of what I need in the next month or so, as I only get a couple hours a week to work on this stuff. Anyway, thanks again for your unique insight and advice!

TurboChris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2023, 12:55:21 AM »
Do yourself a BIG favor and pick up a spool gun for welding aluminum. I am also a novice welder and found a couple hundred dollar spool gun allowed me to actually lay down a pretty impressive weld (for a novice) on aluminum.

[/quote]

Thanks a ton for the insight. I'm going to learn how to make my own adapters through trial and error (I possess none of the required skill at the moment :) ) as every other off the shelf solution has failed thus far. I just purchased a multi-process welder and a plasma cutter from eastwood and will begin to work on welding technique.
[/quote]
1966 Fairlane - 427 - Pond Block - Edelbrock - Tunnel Wedge

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2023, 06:30:53 AM »
I would buy a couple of 1" spacers. The biggest rough cheapo's from Summit.
And start from there.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1400

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2023, 08:34:17 AM »
Well, the Offy solution didn't work as it seems they're simply an adapter to shift the carb back about 1/2in. I also purchased an adapter plate from Alkydigger (https://www.alkydigger.net/product/TBS4300.html) and wasted almost $300 there lol, so it looks like I'm going to have to learn how to make my own adapters. I'll update this thread as I make progress for anyone interested.

I believe there are two Offy options, one for sideways, one for setback/forward.  Could you have bought the wrong ones? 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2023, 11:40:31 AM »
If you wanted to switch throttle bodies, these will fit the tunnel wedge easily. I understand if you want the 4150 look, though. Just throwing it out there.

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2023, 12:36:55 PM »
I believe there are two Offy options, one for sideways, one for setback/forward.  Could you have bought the wrong ones?

I believe the Offenhauser #5880 provides the pair of spacers which offset each carburetor 1/2"; whereas the #5832 provides the pair of spacers intended to rotate the carburetors 90 degrees.  Unfortunately, the later is intended to be mounted to manifolds which present the 5-5/8" x 4-1/4" bolt Carter AFB & Quadrajet pattern, adapting the 5-5/8" x 5-1/4" Holley pattern for the carburetor mounting.   ;)

Hence, why one may find that the best way is to do a little custom welding & machine work to present that which is needed.   :)

Oh,............I don't know what size of a welder you may have acquired but when welding aluminum, figure you'll need twice the amps as that of steel, and I would guess that for this job anything less than say 200amp. capacity just isn't going to be enough for a good result.   :-\ 

Scott.

62_BattleBird

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2024, 11:26:52 PM »
Do yourself a BIG favor and pick up a spool gun for welding aluminum. I am also a novice welder and found a couple hundred dollar spool gun allowed me to actually lay down a pretty impressive weld (for a novice) on aluminum.

Thanks a ton for the insight. I'm going to learn how to make my own adapters through trial and error (I possess none of the required skill at the moment :) ) as every other off the shelf solution has failed thus far. I just purchased a multi-process welder and a plasma cutter from eastwood and will begin to work on welding technique.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Excellent, will do. Thanks for the advice!

62_BattleBird

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2024, 11:36:25 PM »
I would buy a couple of 1" spacers. The biggest rough cheapo's from Summit.
And start from there.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1400

I thought about doing this and may still go that route. I'm currently working on shaping what I need out of plates of 3/4in aluminum, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice.