Author Topic: top speed estimate  (Read 2867 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
Re: top speed estimate
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2023, 02:13:25 PM »
i was mostly talking about quarter mile speeds.i wont be doing any road course type stuff.just wondering what to expect if it goes a big mph in the 1/4.

How much HP you have will dictate your MPH. I'm comfortable at 130-135 but after that not as brave as I once was. Just because you have a rolling start won't increase your top end because you still only have 1/4 mile to get there. If it was longer then you could sneak up on a few more MPH with the right gear.
seems like if you are already doing 40 at the start line,then you go another 1/4 mile that it would be a bigger mph than from a dig.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2023, 02:38:24 PM »
i was mostly talking about quarter mile speeds.i wont be doing any road course type stuff.just wondering what to expect if it goes a big mph in the 1/4.

How much HP you have will dictate your MPH. I'm comfortable at 130-135 but after that not as brave as I once was. Just because you have a rolling start won't increase your top end because you still only have 1/4 mile to get there. If it was longer then you could sneak up on a few more MPH with the right gear.
Dale, how fast was Jims 66 Fairlane in the 1/4 mile, about 150mph ? He didn`t have any wings or spoilers, neither does Grants 8 second 67 Fairlane, or Jim Van Cleves low 8 second 66 Fairlane. Grants 67 had different front suspension, but Jim & Jims 66s both still had the factory shock towers. As for "roll racing", just seems silly to me. I have always found the launch and first few gears the best part of drag racing. To me, a rolling start makes about as much sense as running 1/8th mile events on a 1/4 mile dragstrip.
i love drag racing from a dead stop,i just wanted to give roll racing a try one time to check mph
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2023, 04:36:05 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]seems like if you are already doing 40 at the start line,then you go another 1/4 mile that it would be a bigger mph than from a dig

Well. yes and no. If you have the HP and don't run out of RPM you "should" pick up some MPH but it won't be dramatic enough to worry about a chute or the suspension. My car will run 135 either way because it's out of power and RPM at that point.  If I run 104 MPH to the 1/8th I only pick up roughly 30 MPH to the 1/4. You're not going to gain 40 MPH just because that's where you started.

Nonetheless, it could be fun so go ahead and later post the results. I can always stand to learn something as well.   
[/quote]

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2023, 06:00:29 PM »
Consider that even a top fuel car will only pick up 50mph the last half of the track (Ig running 1/4 mile) and you sure won't be adding 40 mph to your normal drag strip speed, id guess less than 10 mph

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2023, 09:40:47 AM »
i was not expecting 40 mph more but if geared properly it should gain something. i watched a little of it and they did not gain a huge amount,seems like the quicker cars just gained 10 or 15,but if you had bad 60 foot times at the track but a big mph,seems like they could gain buy rolling start.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 09:45:59 AM by fryedaddy »