Author Topic: top speed estimate  (Read 2687 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: top speed estimate
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2023, 08:53:40 PM »
does anyone have any idea of how fast you can take a stock suspension 66 fairlane-comet  wot top end?

Whatever you do, sneak up to it. Get up to say 110 on a great road and see how the steering feels. If o.k., then up to say 115 or so. Rinse and repeat but slowly. Once the steering gets light, that's your top. Oh, and NEVER snap the throttle closed nor hit the brakes hard at speed. Ease it all down.
Bob Maag

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2023, 02:17:40 AM »
A front air dam, will help add weight to the front BUT, you have to have balance!

With a fast back car, where the roof line drops, the camber of that line, causes low pressure at that point and will make the rear wheels light. You must maintain a rake, as I described above. If the rear gets light, you'll need a spoiler, to offset the lift of the roof line. 3" tall would probably be enough. Both a flat air dam and spoiler will add drag.

Front and rear shocks and spring rates are important, too. If you get out of shape at 100 mph or more, you won't be able to get control back, unless the spring rates are balance. In a drag car, that can be a problem. The front spring rate needs to stiffer than the rear or, the back end, will beat you, to where your going and the lift of the fast back, will lift you right up and roll just like in NASCAR. Set up this way, the car will feel very stable at speed and go faster.

Lowering the car will help, too.

Actual road racing courses are carefully made and maintained to avoid dips and rises that can set a car sailing with all 4 tires off the ground.

The straightaway sections of a road course, will be fairly good but, can have dips in them. The faster areas with curves can have places that have a hump in the curve, Willow Springs, CA turn 6, for example and turn 9 at Riverside (no longer there). If your wheels aren't straight, while going over the hump, you'll find yourself in the dirt. Formula cars, won't generally roll in those spots but, higher CG stock type cars, will.

First rule, keep all 4 on the ground!

Frank

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2023, 07:41:39 AM »
I would drive my 67 Fairlane at 160 MPH or more if I had the money.
I'll be lucky if I get to drive out of the garage. ;D

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2023, 07:50:51 AM »
 I knew the Executive Engineer at T&C Livonia, where I worked at the time, and he released to me a then-not-yet-in-regular-production big in-'n'-out Toploader to replace it.

That would have been a Big in Small out, No big in big out until 66.

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2023, 08:55:54 AM »
Removed
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 10:23:18 PM by 427mach1 »

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 09:06:43 AM »
Back in the 80's I had a 68 Mustang fastback FE power and  Top Loader, that had a Shelby style front valence with integrated chin spoiler.
No rear spoiler or wing.

At speed 75 - 80 mph and up, I could feel the the front end "pull down" and the steering seemed to tighten up.

Many times (foolishly) drove the car at 120+ mph and it never felt unstable at speed.

Edit: I had cut one coil off the FE front coils and had a 1 1/8" front sway bar.
So the car had a slight rake with more-or-less stock rear leaf spring height.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 08:07:07 PM by galaxiex »
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2023, 10:02:14 AM »
Never been in anything "vintage" at speed, but I've been in plenty of fairly new vehicles at speed.  I neither confirm nor deny that I've been in both an SN95 Mustang and a New Edge Mustang at over 140 mph.  I also neither confirm nor deny that both cars handled very well, but the windshield wipers were beating the windshields to death. 

Just as an added quip, I got to drive a Busch series car around Charlotte and at 135-140 mph, I could wiggle my foot and the car would instantly respond and accelerate.  It was amazing. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2023, 10:12:06 AM »
Never been in anything "vintage" at speed, but I've been in plenty of fairly new vehicles at speed.  I neither confirm nor deny that I've been in both an SN95 Mustang and a New Edge Mustang at over 140 mph.  I also neither confirm nor deny that both cars handled very well, but the windshield wipers were beating the windshields to death. 

Just as an added quip, I got to drive a Busch series car around Charlotte and at 135-140 mph, I could wiggle my foot and the car would instantly respond and accelerate.  It was amazing.

Sounds like you've unofficially had some fun on the street and track! 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 10:25:23 AM by 427mach1 »

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2023, 06:19:06 PM »
I didn't think to mention that when I had the 69 Mach1 up over 140, it had 428 springs with a coil cut off, a-arms lowered 1", and had the '69 "long" front spoiler, and the rear wing with the window slats. Stayed pretty stable, just that headliner on my head thing  :'(

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2023, 06:34:39 PM »
I put these covers on the cowl to stop the air from coming in.
This car is very fast on the highway.

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2023, 07:49:16 PM »
I've never owned a set of street tires that I would trust over 130. "Back in my foolish youth" nor now.
I have been 140+ on drag race tires, for those brief blasts.
Decades ago I knew a guy who ran a "Nascar experience" business. I dont know for sure, But I am pretty certain (If a student passed earlier stage "tests") they usually paced those guys to a maximum apx 110. I drove one to about 120 on the old hard tires and wont hesitate to describe the ride as terrifyingly loose.

An old story I love. Probably well known by most Mustang/Shelby fans.
Carroll Shelby oversaw a prototype '67 car build with a LeMans 427. Super Snake. So rare that the official clubs and registries strongly argued it never existed. The debate lasted for decades.
When someone rolled out and claimed this was the car and showed it, they were outright mocked.
Until Carroll himself saw it.
He said "yep, that's the one!" And told the story of being clocked in testing driving it in excess of 160 MPH.
Not really a prepped race car. Basically, a production GT-500 on skinny bias-ply tires. He said they filled them with nitrogen and jacked the pressure to 60 PSI.
I personally am of the opinion that even if slightly exaggerated...
They must have grown the avocados in jumbo size in Texas! That is insane!

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2023, 08:16:18 PM »
The video of it. 142 MPH according to the guy with the watch.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=426960557850249

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2023, 10:54:04 PM »
Great link to the old tire ad.

Even if it was "only" 142 though- Still nuts. (Pun semi-intended)

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2023, 06:26:13 PM »
I knew the Executive Engineer at T&C Livonia, where I worked at the time, and he released to me a then-not-yet-in-regular-production big in-'n'-out Toploader to replace it.

That would have been a Big in Small out, No big in big out until 66.

All sorts of things were around if you knew where to look and who to talk to. Bruno was always very kind to me. Big in-'n'-out. ;)

KS

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2023, 08:37:10 PM »
Here is a link to a true story from down under. I think every one will enjoy it.

https://www.streetmachine.com.au/features/the-true-story-of-ho-down-the-hume