Author Topic: 1967 fastback 485  (Read 33713 times)

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 fastback 485
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2022, 09:08:17 PM »
Joe, I never saw your car or I would have tried to find you. Should have asked for a cell number ahead of time.
Right out of the gate with the new engine and your car did so well. I’m certain you will be finding some tenths.
Awesome!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 06:52:48 AM by 6667fan »
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2022, 11:01:36 PM »
God willing there’s always next year.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2023, 08:31:01 PM »
So got home last night from the Beaver and the reunion and again had a great time. So I haven’t been to the track since last years reunion so I was excited to race because I got my new torque converter which was better suited for my camshaft. So my original setup I was getting 1.53-1.55 60 ft times then I changed cams and left the same converter in and had 1.57-1.61 60 ft times but was still running 10.93. With my new converter now I was hoping for a 10.70 or so but now I’m getting 60 ft times of 1.63-1.69. To say I was bummed would be an understatement and to boot my fastest time was 11.23. I checked a lot of things but couldn’t really pinpoint anything so I had a different brand new distributor which was curved for my motor so heLL ill give it a try. Well it wasn’t any better 1.66-1.69. So after wrenching on it for 2 days in the brutal heat I just got it to run as well as possible which even though I wasn’t happy it was consistent. Almost all of my passes were between 11.23 and 11.29.
So we said screw it and went with it. We won the first round and red lighted in the second round. So we had thought that’s it but desided to go into the bird race. Glad we did because with a couple of good lights and probably a lot of luck we were able to win the Ford eagle. Well we had a great time and I was happy I got my dad out there this year along with my daughter and Harry for my pit crew. I will be trying to find out my problem with my 60 ft times. I think it feels like the converter but it’s hard to know. I’m a little confused right now.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2023, 08:52:29 PM »
This is the first I've seen anyone even mention the FER&R. It looked like a lot of rain in the area Saturday, so wasn't sure if they got the track dry enough to race.
Glad you had fun and got a win, Joe, and glad you got your Dad there. Makes up for some of the disappointment. That's a bummer about the convertor not working out. It was looser than your old one, wasn't it?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2023, 10:58:20 PM »
Ya know Doug they say if you get into third gear and go about 25-30 mph and gas it quick and see what the rpm goes to that’s what the stall or should I say the flash rpm is and it goes to 4200 but I’m not seeing that off the line. Now I have changed a bunch of stuff like a roll cage and frame connectors and I readjusted the cal tracks and put a little preload on them. I also changed the Calvert rear shocks from #7 to #8 but it is just a dog off the line. I mean I’m not even worried about a traction problem because it feels like I have like no horsepower. I’ve tried everything. With my other motor and a 3000 stall the car like exploded off the line. I used to have my timing at 18 initial and the biggest bushing which is 18 degrees mechanical. Now I have the initial at anywhere between 22-26 with 32 to 34 all in and and you would think that would give me more low end power but I wonder if maybe my motor don’t like that timing setup. I also had some carb problems that Larry pointed out when he was trying to help me(thanks Larry). I almost at this point want to put everything back to how it was originally and see if it will be different. So I’m not sure right now if it’s timing ,fuel or maybe my converter I got is just to tight. I did have a problem with ATI on the whole ordering thing they first sent me a C-4 torque converter and they fixed the screw up but who the hell knows if they got it right the second time at least now it fits in the car. Like I said last year with the 3000 stall it was a dog off the line but I was running 10.90s now I was hoping for 10.70s or more with the new converter and I’m at 11.23 slower than my original motor. It also wasn’t really running right almost like missing or shaking but I have the idle at like 12-1300 and I think I was into the transfer slots but I keep it up a little because of an uneasy feeling of oil pressure hot. I’m very disappointed right now. I’m not made of money and spent a lot and I’m going the wrong way.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2023, 02:35:33 PM »
I thought there was a 21 or 25 degree bushing in the kit? Not that it matters, you are probably better off with having the 22-26 initial. What were the other racers saying about their times? Conditions must have been tough for wrenching.
I pulled the plug on Thursday and canceled my hotel reservation. The weather looked too bad for me to open trailer my car 7 plus hours. I would have been pulling home in the rain for certain.

Congrats on winning the Bird race. Was it 1/8 mile for that?
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

mike7570

« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2023, 04:57:04 PM »
Too many changes to sort out at once. First thing I would do is video the launch close up for tire spin or wrap up or a nice leave. Air pressure front an back make a difference in 60’ times. Move on to throttle linkage to make sure it’s opening fully (and closing) “it also wasn’t really running right” were you looking for a bog? Go back to original settings with best leave. How you leave is important, do you foot brake to 3000 and flash 4000? You shouldn’t need a timing curve at those rpm just an all in number. 32 to 34 all in seems low to me, my old iron heads were 40 and I was advised to use 38 as a starting point with my new Edlebrocks. If oil pressure is up and consistent don’t worry to much about the idle pressure unless it’s practically not showing. And since it’s about 1yr later (I don’t know if it was used much between) give it a once over for vacuum leaks.
My best $.02 from someone still on the sideline
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 11:02:53 PM by mike7570 »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2023, 10:26:19 PM »
Mike I agree a lot of changes but same dizzy and same carbs. As far as launch it’s such a dog off the line that there’s no tire spin. As far as tire pressure I run 35 in the front and 18 in the back and check it after every run. I tried every take off from just stabbing it to resting my foot on the gas to a nice clean spot let’s say 1500 and gas it to 2200 and stabbing it. Now another thing I did do since new motor is I had a tranny shop go through tranny and change clutches and seals. Is there anything in a C-6 that can effect first gear like binding or something like that it sort of feels like I’m leaving in second gear although when I hit second it does go in and at that time it takes off. I will be checking if I have the shift cable adjusted right. And I don’t think I ever checked to make sure the shift lever was tight. I appreciate the comments at this point it could be anything and I’m always willing to listen. The day you know everything your kicking up daisys

mike7570

« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2023, 12:09:25 AM »
I went back and read a bunch of earlier post, trying to keep the timeline straight but this “leave like a dog” cropped up after a cam and converter change? I’ll add a few more things to my previous list -
Re-establish TDC (with a piston stop) verify it matches your balancer pointer (some FE balancers are marked incorrectly.) With a degree wheel I would check the cam verifying it was ground correctly including the timing gears. Have you run it with more advance or is it still where the original cam from Barry was installed?
With no bog or stumbling it doesn’t seem to point to the carbs especially if they haven’t been touched since it was leaving much better.
I’m sure you will find it and I’m interested in hearing what it is.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 10:08:53 AM by mike7570 »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2023, 09:07:28 AM »
I went right past your reply 6667. The guys around me where off on thurs and Friday but on Saturday it wasn’t that bad at all. And yes I did a lot of wrenching on Thursday and Friday morning and it was brutally hot. No matter how much you drank it would come out faster. I thought I heard someone say the mike weaks said the DA was like 3100 ft if that makes sense. No fun towing with an open trailer with your baby been there done that. Yeah because of the rain on Friday night going into Saturday morning they couldn’t get the back half of the track dry so yeah they went 1/8 mile. It don’t bother me much I’ve done a lot of 1/8 mile at South Mountain.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2023, 10:40:44 PM »
Mike I will go over those things. I got car out of trailer Sunday and change dizzy back to my original. I have carbs off just to make sure all passages are clear and I’m gonna check inside bowls and bleeds for clenliness. I’m gonna find it. I talked to me tranny guy but of course he doesn’t think it’s the tranny.i have never got my tranny done and had it work that’s why I bought two trannys from TCI.