Author Topic: Accessory Spacing Issue  (Read 779 times)

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
Accessory Spacing Issue
« on: May 05, 2023, 11:33:00 AM »
Am I missing something? Were there different water pumps offered for FE's? I am seeing a pulley spacing issue and I do not suspect it is the BBM heads....that would not cause what I am seeing. 75 Ford F250. ALT belt is rubbing on the water pump, and the PS pump/pulley is forward from where it should be. I ask because the only impacting changes has been the water pump and heads. Rest is original to the truck prior to build and it was perfect......it is all together right and where it is supposed to be.....except it aint.

cleandan

• View Profile
Re: Accessory Spacing Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 03:42:31 PM »
There are a few possible issues here.
1) The pump was made wrong, or rebuilt wrong, with the hub pressed into the wrong spot.
Check the amount of shaft lead sticking out from the hub and compare it against the old pump that fit....if you still have the old pump.
Check both the shaft lead and the hub location because the shaft itself may be made wrong (too long or not pressed in far enough on the bearing)

2) There were two pump styles, standard and heavy duty. The HD pump uses a larger diameter shaft and a large diameter and thickness hub. Usually the HD parts will not interchange with the standard duty parts (pulley bolt spacing and center hole and fan clutch hole and bolt spacing).....Buuuuuut, if this is a rebuilt pump I can envision any number of Effups being put together in todays sad state of aftermarket parts.

Measure the pump parts to be certain they match what you need.

The rest of the pump measurements, housing, bolt locations, mounting pads, water pipe locations and so on should be the same.

If this is an aftermarket pump then you must get to checking all the measurements.....who knows, maybe they built the pump you have with extra thick pump to block mounting surfaces causing it to stand off too much.

Last, do some double, triple, quadruple confirmations about the parts you have and the parts you are supposed to have. The auto parts store computers are often VERY wrong with the information they have about what is the right part to use.....That is not the counter persons fault, but the fault of those verifying what is entered into the comuter.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 09:51:18 PM »
Earlier FE engines with generators, had a longer water pump shaft, and pulleys with a deeper depth. My 59s 428, has an Edelbrock aluminum water pump, with factory late 60s-early 70s double belt crank/alt/water pump pulleys, with no such issues, nor did the same setup with a factory iron water pump. I suppose if you were using an early style water pump pulley, that could cause such a problem, but never experienced that myself.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 11:02:28 AM »
Sorry for the slow response, it has been a hectic week or so. The power steering pump is the same that has always been with the truck. Same bracket as well. None of that has changed.
I did get a new water pump during the build.....supposed to be for the truck. Same pump pulley that came with the truck. Alt spacing etc. is good...i.e. how it is "supposed" to be.
I will try to snap a picture. It is hard to see in a pic I am sure, but stands out bad in person. I had only run the motor on the dyno. Noticed belt interference when I put the ALT on. Did some grinding on the H20 pump body for some clearance.....which I knew I should not have to do. It seems in line, just an issue with hitting the pump body.
The PS Pump you can easily see it is not inline pulley groove wise, but nothing has changed with it. Bracket is right, all is right unless my thinking is wrong. I definitely don't recall any spacer for it....direct mount to H20 Pump and block with AC Bracket on. I did delete the AC for now but the Compressor bracket is there as it should be. Only the tensioner is removed.