Author Topic: Going back to my roots...  (Read 2648 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Going back to my roots...
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2023, 04:13:58 AM »
Thats why i use a Scintilla magneto  thats not made by Chevy
just adapted by Ronco to fit a Chevy ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2023, 12:53:22 PM »
Yes i know about the cracking from exhaust seat to cyl.
And i considered it both one and two times before i bored
the block.
I see it like this....the block i have seen cracked there often
are from heavy trucks, probably often overheated due to heavy loads
leaky radiators when those truck was old in the 50s the owner did not care
just bought another V8 Ford for a few bucks and scraped to get another engine to flog until
it died ( I have a Mercury 312 Y-Block that was in a heavytruck that they overheated so it torched
the heads  between middle cylinders on both heads, exhaust valves next to each others)

I on the other hand will use it for "sundaytrips" with a light load under ideal conditions so i figured
i bore it and find out

That tooltray is unique that it dont need repair. Owner often stored the snowchains there in the wet jute sack
to keep the tray moist  ::)

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2023, 05:19:57 PM »
Very cool project and I'm glad you are back to health. I'd keep it as stock as possible externally. You just don't see many split windows that are mostly complete any more. Looking forward to following this one. 👍
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2023, 12:59:25 PM »
You probably have the "Helmet" type dist (3 bolt) A good up grade for that, is the later crab dist but, it's 2 bolt, you can get a adapter or change the timing cover. It's  easier to work on, too.

Also, you can keep your full floating rods, if you offset grind the Merc crank, to 4 1/8, for the needed 2" journals. You'll need custom pistons for that though at the smaller bore.

Another thing you can do, is put SBC exhaust valves in it, both for the In & ex. It doesn't gain to much, but they are cheaper. A very good valve job, will help it. If you do your own valve job, I can give you a Black & Decker type pilot I might even have a Sioux.

You'll probably spend a lot of time at Speedway Motors ;)

I'd like to see a project thread, too.

Frank, I have to do more research on ignition upgrades like you mentioned. I learned from my Dad and he never ventured beyond stock factory set-ups, so I admit a bit of ignorance on some of this stuff.

My thinking is that the later insert type bearings are better, maybe because that's just what I'm used to, but I see it as being harder to get oil around both sides of the floating bearing enough for good protection. I also think that's why Ford changed things in these years and they have remained that way to today.

The ONLY reproduction parts I will be using are seals and weatherstripping. I have NOS and good used parts for anything mechanical that I may need (my Dad was a hoarder of old Ford parts), although I did swallow hard and bought the Dennis Carpenter reproduction grille. The cheap ones just didn't cut it with me.

I on the other hand will use it for "sundaytrips" with a light load under ideal conditions so i figured
i bore it and find out

That tooltray is unique that it dont need repair. Owner often stored the snowchains there in the wet jute sack
to keep the tray moist  ::)

Heo, you're probably right on the boring. They certainly won't be abused like they used to be. This car came to my neck of the woods 60 years ago from a state that didn't see snow or salt. That's the only thing that saved it.

Very cool project and I'm glad you are back to health. I'd keep it as stock as possible externally. You just don't see many split windows that are mostly complete any more. Looking forward to following this one. 👍

John, the body and interior will stay 100% stock. They're beautiful cars just the way they are. This is the look I'll be going for with the rake. Like this car, only the wheels will be changed from the stock "wide 5" to a '40s style.

Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2023, 01:35:09 PM »
Dough, Beautyful coup in the picture, my sedan was washington blue like that from the factory.
Thats the style im planing to. Mostly stock, droped frontaxle, dual exhaust, finned cyl heads.
some dual or tripple carb intake mostly for cosmetic reasons. You dont happens to have a
few spare Eddie Mayer dual highrise intakes taking up space :D
 Wheels i think i use some wide fives 16x5 1/5 "reversed" wheels  i found on a hay wagon.
 With 37 caps and trim rings they look nice when the cap dont protrude  outside of the wheel
I dont know wath they originaly came from but the wagon was built out
of a 36 five window coup :'( :'( in the 50s :'( the wishbones was used in the build and they where
out of much thicker material than usual ford wishbones and the drumbrakes looked different than
a ordinary 36 and the material in the wheels was much thinner than a stock Ford wheel but they
are stamped KH (kelsey hayes) like a regular ford wheel
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 01:51:48 PM by Heo »