Author Topic: Shop floor  (Read 1460 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Shop floor
« on: March 03, 2023, 05:33:13 PM »
I decided to remove the wood floor on 1/2 of my shop yesterday and concrete it in.
I am getting up there in age [75] and decided I had better do it while I am still able.
I just unloaded 26 80 pound bag's of concrete and am not sure this was a good idea.
It will take about another 100 bag's or more to finish and it is a 50 foot distance from my door to where I have to install the floor.
Wish I could get a truck in there.
Greg

preaction

• View Profile
Re: Shop floor
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 11:19:54 PM »
Bags of concrete mix will not achieve the same strength as a continuous pour. Also 1 yard is over 4000lbs.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 02:23:17 AM »
There are concrete pumping services but, they will probably be a little pricey.
Frank

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 11:05:16 AM »
Greg, are you planning to add a lift in the shop? If so, I would check for what is required for thickness, mesh reinforcement, and the blend mixture. When I bought our current house, it had a 30x48 foot shop already there, with a finished concrete floor. Although I am a bit younger than you (65), I absolutely wanted a 2 post hoist, so I needed to know the type and thickness of the floor, luckily the seller was also the builder, and his brother is a concrete foundation builder, so I had all the first hand information about the garage, including photos of the floor base before it was poured. I would have prefered a 6" thick floor, but the 9000 pound lift I bought said 4 1/2" of mesh reinforced concrete was minimum, and mine is 5"s. Not sure if I would feel comfortable lifting my F350 Dually, but my 3800 pound 59 has been up there multiple times, with no concerns. Although I have not used it, my floor also has built in hot water heat under the concrete, if that was something you were thinking of adding, now is the prefect time to add it. They put the piping in the foundation every 10 inches, so when I drilled to holes for the hoist anchors, I had to do some careful measuring to try to avoid hitting the plastic piping. But even if I hit one, each , each pass of tubing is on a seperate valve, so if needed, I could shut that line off. They also added 4 floor drains, that exit out to a low spot on the property, so I can wash vehicles inside without water building up, although that also meant that they may the floor slanted a bit to direct the water to the drains. Not sure if you plan to go that far, but it is a nice feature.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 11:33:42 AM »
I built the shop in1989 and when I did it I had a contractor come in and pore the part of the floors where I would have my car's and trucks parked.
The area's I am doing now are the part's of the shop I added on to for storage over the year's.When I did that I decided to just use wood because it was for storage. This was in the 90's and now the floor's are starting to sag so I am going to replace them while I can. I know the floor wont be as strong as the rest of it but will do for my shelves etc.
I did look into having a contractor come in and pore it but the cost was way to much for the small amount I have to do. The pumping truck was out of sight on cost plus the added cost of permit's to block the road and mileage for the truck from Dallas Texas was just to much for what I am doing.
I installed my lift in 2011 and it is the best purchase I ever made for working on car's. If I didn't have it I would have had to quit working on car's back then. I pored a 8 inch floor with 3 foot deep where I mounted the lift because I didn't want it to fall over.
Your shop floor sounds like what I would build if I was going to build a new shop.
I will do this little 7x12 foot section this month and after I recover I will do the other 2 part's. One is a 7x 6 foot area and the last one is a 3x20 foot area, all on opposite sides of the shop.
Sound's like a lot of fun.
Greg

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 10:53:11 AM »
i have seen trailers that you can rent to haul ready mix concrete.also there is these
https://www.cart-away.com/portfolio/mixking/

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 11:17:08 AM »
I looked at the rental trailers and they were $175.00 an hour with a 3 hour min.
That looks like something to have [cart a way] but with the small amount I have to pore it would just be to big. I finished the biggest pore yesterday so just have 2 more to finish.
I am taking a break and will do the two small pore's the first of next month and that will be it for my shop.
Thanks for the link, it was interesting.
Greg

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 04:34:36 PM »
well i am very impressed with your work !theres no way in hell i will be doing any concrete work and i am younger than you LOL!

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 04:46:17 PM »
Yeah it is a lot of fun.
At least I just have to do 2 more pore's and I am done.
For anyone building a shop make it a least 3 time's bigger then you think you need.
When I first put in the shop I thought that a 40x 37 would be plenty but over the year's I just got more car's and part's and just flat ran out of room even with a second story..
This will be it unless I can make my neighbors move out and buy their place's.
Greg

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 01:21:14 PM »
I realize you're half way into it and I'm kinda late, but some rental places have "concrete buggies".  Gasoline powered and haul about 1/4 of a yard per trip.  They'll haul from the street to the backyard and such.  Sometimes concrete delivery trucks charge you if you move too slow so have a helper.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 01:25:16 PM »
I looked into them and they were just to expensive for me.
With the little I have to do I will just do it the old labor intensive way.
Greg

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2023, 03:35:53 PM »
Got a similar predicament here - want to put down a 9x14 patio pad.  Could do in sections most likely with a HF mixer to speed things up.  Still, hoisting them 80 lb sacks get old really, really quick. But it's a small amount and the trip charge plus less than full load charge may make the difference.  Not counting having to wheel barrow the concrete from a truck
 to the patio spot as it's just a bit out of reach for a truck.  There are a few YouTube vids on people doing similar if anyone wants to visually wear themselves out and get a virtual back ache.

26 bags is a pain, but could be worse!  Bravo for taking on the project - post pics when you can!

We may decide to "go big" and combine that pour with a 9x32 extension to the shop.  That for sure ain't a Sackrete job IMHO.  And we're not retired, so there's the time investment costs too.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2023, 04:09:18 PM »
Yeah
 A real pain. It ended up being 47 bags as I did a little more then I planned in that spot. The next pour will be 24 bags and then I decided to do another one that will take about 68 bag's. Haven't figured the exact amount on that one out yet.
Then finished. No more wood floor's.
 I would have my concrete guy come and do it all at once but he has tripled his price's for the same amount of area so I decided to do it myself.
I have added another 20 x 25 addition to my shop last year but I think I will have that done professional when the price's come down.
Greg