Author Topic: Experience With 1-Piece Rear Main Seal?  (Read 1247 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Experience With 1-Piece Rear Main Seal?
« on: April 18, 2023, 10:10:21 AM »
Our local engine builder turned us on to these 1-piece rear main seals.

You can find them here about 3/4 of the way down this page.
https://www.roushcompetitionengines.com/performance-parts/

We tried it Sunday, installed the crank in the block, torqued all the main caps. When we went to spin the crank it would hardly budge. We got out the torque gauge, it was taking right about 40 lb-ft to spin the crank. Sat there and scratched our heads, all of the main clearances looked perfect when measured. I started unbolting the caps, starting with the rear, and when got the rear cap bolts loose all of a sudden the crank freed right up. It was now taking less than 5 lb-ft to spin.

The crank is a Scat steel crank. The dimension of the crank at the seal matches every other crank we have in the shop, so I don't believe the crank is too big of diameter at that seal.

I asked an engine builder friend, he said yes he's used one (not on an FE engine), and it made the crank hard to turn so they threw it out and used a common rear main seal.

My question, has anybody on here used one and had luck doing so?? I'd like to run the seal because it seems like a better concept, but currently it's not working out so great.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Phil Brown

• View Profile
Re: Experience With 1-Piece Rear Main Seal?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 12:24:20 PM »
Torque the mains back up without the seal and see if the crank turns ok. If its fine then maybe try a two piece seal just to see, there cheap enough to try.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 12:32:18 PM »
I used one, didn't really see any benefit to them, so I didn't use them anymore.  On an engine that can use a real 1-piece seal, it's kind of a no-brainer, but on an engine not designed for them, I see no pluses. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 02:17:58 PM »
Torque the mains back up without the seal and see if the crank turns ok. If its fine then maybe try a two piece seal just to see, there cheap enough to try.

We're going to do an operation like this tomorrow night I'm thinking. My guess is we end up using a normal 2-piece seal.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 08:21:51 PM »
By the looks of the instructions, you have to cut the seal to get it over the crank flange. Is that right? Seems that pretty much negates the benefits of a "one piece seal".
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 10:05:32 PM »
By the looks of the instructions, you have to cut the seal to get it over the crank flange. Is that right? Seems that pretty much negates the benefits of a "one piece seal".
Exactly. The thought of cutting a 1 piece rear main seal, and twisting it to get it over the flywheel flange seems more likely to cause issues, than using the OE 2 piece rear seals. I normally find the side seals more problematic than the actual crank seals anyhow. Ironically, I just installed the crank and FelPro rear main seals in my 428 this afternoon, always a stressful PITA procedure.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 04:48:18 AM »
Exactly. The thought of cutting a 1 piece rear main seal, and twisting it to get it over the flywheel flange seems more likely to cause issues, than using the OE 2 piece rear seals. I normally find the side seals more problematic than the actual crank seals anyhow. Ironically, I just installed the crank and FelPro rear main seals in my 428 this afternoon, always a stressful PITA procedure.

I wish more guys would get into the habit of using silicone instead of side seals.  I've done this on every FE I've assembled in the past 7-8 years.  It takes all the fussiness out of fitting the side seals and cuts down the rear main seal/crank installation time as well. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 11:48:51 AM »

I wish more guys would get into the habit of using silicone instead of side seals.  I've done this on every FE I've assembled in the past 7-8 years.  It takes all the fussiness out of fitting the side seals and cuts down the rear main seal/crank installation time as well.

Would never discount your success with silicone or even say it's not a viable solution, but the Felpro side seals and nails are the issue with side seals, not side seals themselves.

Old side seals used to be different.  Seals from Felpro have been too hard for about 10 years and the nails are sharp and thin, which seem to have got worse in the past 5 years, letting them cut into the side of the seal instead of pushing outwards.  A JV707P Clevite/Mahle seal with their soft side seals and blunt thick nails, installed after the cap is torqued, may take 5 minutes more than silicone, but work so much better than Felpro. 

Not saying AT ALL to convince you or anyone to use side seals, but the Felpro side seals are crap...they sit next to my Speedpro rod bearings as "just in case I am in a bind" pile

As far as 1 piece seal, as Brent said, I don't see a benefit, if done right they seal easy as a 2 piece, seems like a solution looking for a problem, and if they do have the drag Mike has seen, hard to believe they would last
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 11:50:36 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 01:25:20 PM »

Would never discount your success with silicone or even say it's not a viable solution, but the Felpro side seals and nails are the issue with side seals, not side seals themselves.

Old side seals used to be different.  Seals from Felpro have been too hard for about 10 years and the nails are sharp and thin, which seem to have got worse in the past 5 years, letting them cut into the side of the seal instead of pushing outwards.  A JV707P Clevite/Mahle seal with their soft side seals and blunt thick nails, installed after the cap is torqued, may take 5 minutes more than silicone, but work so much better than Felpro. 

Not saying AT ALL to convince you or anyone to use side seals, but the Felpro side seals are crap...they sit next to my Speedpro rod bearings as "just in case I am in a bind" pile

As far as 1 piece seal, as Brent said, I don't see a benefit, if done right they seal easy as a 2 piece, seems like a solution looking for a problem, and if they do have the drag Mike has seen, hard to believe they would last

The issue I always had was with the different sizes of cavities with different blocks.  The aftermarket block holes are different than factory (and even vary depending on the brand of block) and even the factory ones varied.  The side seals were loose on some blocks, too tight on others, which required shaving them down to get them to fit.   I was spending way more time than I should have been spending. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 01:40:00 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 05:14:59 PM »
Well ,I must confess, the only time I have used a 1 pc seal, is a seal from Kaase installed in a 460.  I did work out ok.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 10:39:53 AM by Katz427 »