Author Topic: Ultrasonic cleaning machine recommendation?  (Read 1461 times)

Dr Mabuse

• View Profile
Ultrasonic cleaning machine recommendation?
« on: March 02, 2023, 12:49:21 PM »
I have been looking to purchase an ultrasonic cleaning machine. I would like to get one deep and wide enough to immerse a Holley 4V baseplate.

I've been reading reviews for over one year. There are so mostly models made in China, and the reviews all seem to be from fake corporate sponsored ads.

I am thinking that I will need a 1 to 2 gallon reservoir, in a more or less square configuration. My budget is in the $100 to $200 range. I would prefer a US made commercial model, but they can be very expensive.

My main concern is to find a reliable, long lasting model. I am hoping that someone on here can recommend a model or manufacturer.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: Ultrasonic cleaning machine recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 01:06:00 PM »
Here's the one we have. I believe I asked Drew P from Air Fuel Spark and it was his recommendation for a low dollar solution. It's heated as well, which is a nice feature. It's been 2 years, no problems, no complaints. We bought the biggest one, probably isn't necessary to be that large.

One thing I do that I think makes it last longer: I fill the sonic cleaner tank up with water and if I'm using a cleaning solution I will put that in a glass pan or cup inside the water. This way you're not getting the basin of the cleaner nasty every time you use it.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Commercial-Ultrasonic-Capacity-Solution/dp/B01HGN40SQ/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=2QIvc&content-id=amzn1.sym.bc5f3394-3b4c-4031-8ac0-18107ac75816&pf_rd_p=bc5f3394-3b4c-4031-8ac0-18107ac75816&pf_rd_r=6P0315ACRH6TFKZF17ZK&pd_rd_wg=wvUIC&pd_rd_r=c753b646-5202-4b9f-a49b-b8e3df413644&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 03:05:36 PM »
Here's the one I use:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HDWEA9E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  It has worked perfectly over the past five or more years.

Listed as unavailable, though.  Honestly, you can't by anything like this that is not made in China unless you get the laboratory models.

It is always going to be a crapshoot.  Read the reviews, but note how many reviews.  When I look at the negative reviews, I pay attention when the problem seems common among the views.  Every product is not going to be perfect.  That is not how the Chinese build stuff.  They figure it is more profitable to have a high failure rate than to improve manufacturing.  That's just how it is.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 09:33:56 PM »
If you aren't in a hurry you can maybe find an industrial model at auction. Otherwise, as much as I hate buying chinese if I can avoid it, the Vevor one isn't terrible.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 09:13:06 AM »
As Mike mentioned, I have gotten 5 years out of my 15 and 30 liter Vevor units.
These live outside and often run 12-13 hours a day.
I have heard the new versions of these are junk and not nearly as good, so I hate to suggest anything.

But these ones are awesome for the money

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 04:56:17 PM »
I have the 15L Vevor unit and a Holley 4V baseplate will fit. My only complaint is the 30 minute timer.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 12:25:24 PM »
I use machines made by (L&R) and (Dentronics)
I have three that range from 2.5 gallons up to 3.5 gallons.
All three of them have been purchased used, one of them purchased in non-working condition which I repaired easily and have been using for more than 5 years (I have about $50 into that one)
I suggest you get a cleaner with a tank capacity to fully submerge the entire carb body and measure at least 1 inch below the top ridge of the tank.

I don't like to keep the fluid close to the upper lipe of the tank because it spills and spalshes all over....the lids just sit on the tank top, they are not sealed.

There are many places to find untrasonic cleaners being auctioned so go web searching and see what you can find.
Also, get in touch with your dentist and see what they recommend, they often have insights into sales you will never hear about from other dentists.

Don't be afraid of older units either, the kind with a detached tank and power generator connected via a special cable. They often get tossed aside for being too old to pass some typeof health and dafety requirement but in working order they are just fine.

When looking at older units look closely at the tank thickness and wear.
Lots of these are used with stuff just tossed into the tank and this wears the bottom of the tank thin.
If there is a drain tube grab that and gently wiggle it around to watch the tank bottom flex.
Stay away if it has worn thin unless the price is very low.

Looks for signs of leakage, which are often hard to distinguish from spillage, but still, look.

There are good used machines out there for the taking if you look often and stay patient.
I would bet you can find a good used industrial machine for about $300 or less.

If you get stuck get ahold of me.
You can send your baseplate, and the rest of the torn down carb, to me and I'll sonic clean it for you. You just have to pay for shipping.

Have a great day.

Dr Mabuse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 09:58:04 PM »
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

I found a local used commercial tank on craigslist for $500 (it retailed new for ~$3,000), but it was sold (the seller forgot to take the ad down).

I am not in a hurry, so I will be looking for a used commercial cleaner.

All of the cleaners on Amazon are Chinese imports, and have many bad reviews. Like many current electronic devices, they are throw-away appliances, with non-existant repair after a failure.

I did not see any commercial/brand name/USA cleaners on Amazon.

The commercial cleaners claim to have much better transducers - at $3,000 and up, they should!

urchinhead

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 08:55:58 PM »
I have a clean-o-sonic, which is made here. It took a while to get with the supply chain issues a couple years ago. There are used ones on eBay from time to time.
1964 Galaxie 500 Convertible, drivetrain on stand
1970 F100 Custom, 428 - body work and paint in progress