Author Topic: Oil weight ?s  (Read 11430 times)

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: Oil weight ?s
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 07:32:02 AM »
End Corks. Them`s have been knowin to cause leaks.
The heads most likely have been milled which lowers the intake face of the head.
Possibly more than once.
The intake has to be allowed to lower so that the bottom of the intake ports seat on the face of the head.
The cork end seals can and do keep the intake from going down far enough to get a good seal.
The resault is the engine sucking in oil from the base of the intake ports.
You can not see this from the outside of the engine.

zukinut

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 08:39:58 AM »
So maybe I should pull the intake and see if the intake gaskets tell a story? The plugs don't tell any oil burning story.

Should I do a leak down test first?  Even with the 20-50 it blows a big ol cloud of blue smoke if I dig into the secondaries quickly in 2nd.  I can't imagine it being rings considering all cyls have the exact same psi.

Will

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1025752561/428+%26quot%3BJet+%26quot%3B+intake+manifold+leak+%28internal%29

Or, duct tape all the holes (breather/PCV) and rig a vacuum/pressure gauge to the dipstick tube with a chunk of rubber hose and few clamps. Fire it and see if the crankcase pressure exceeds about 2". Bad rings would have lots of blow-by and would heavily pressurize the crankcase.
Bob Maag

zukinut

• View Profile
Interesting find
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 10:18:31 AM »
This morning while everyone was still in bed I took the truck out for a good run. Went to see my great uncle where he's been resting since 99. It was nice and cool out and the truck was real happy. But smoked a good deal on hard acceleration.

Got home and checked it over. There was oil around the breather and pcv caps. Like a decent amount. Not just vapor splash but like a good covering running from them to the bottom of vc.

I pulled the plugs and all but #4 were showing a PERFECT burn. Best it's ever shown. Number 4 was nasty, oil deposits, a horrible black color but no wet oil.

Cranking Comoression is still the same across the board tho.

So either I have a trashed oil ring or the intake is leaking at the rear, correct?

Thanks again
Will

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
It could be valve stem seal/ valve guides. FE's are known for that..... JMHO
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »
Your call, but I say intake leak.
Use a goo type sealant on the bulkheads.
RTV ULTRA Black or Right Stuff Gasket seal, or whatever you have good luck with.
When you test fit the intake you set it on with the intake gaskets in place and have a good look
at the gap between the intake and bulkheads. That`s the important part.
The difference at the valve cover rail on the head and intake is a good indicator also.
What does that look like?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:21:08 PM by ScotiaFE »

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »
Now after thinking about it.... You do have a intake leak! Your email to me about your plugs.... I bet you do have a intake leak.
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »
I'm going to speculate that there is a bad ring seal, Not the intake seal. The reason is that it is smoking more under low vacuum conditions. Smoke at wide open throttle tends to be rings, smoke under deceleration tends to be Intake valve guides or the aforementioned intake manifold leak. A big puff of smoke upon start up usually indicates bad intake valve stem seals.
I know that the compression test is working against my theory, But if there is any oil in the cylinder that will bring the ring seal back during the cranking compression test. I would do a leak down test.

zukinut

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 05:36:07 PM »
Just did the duct tape test. Both sides bulge out a good amount.  I honestly think I have a bunch of blow by added to a couple valve guides/umbrella seals going bad.

The baby is due anyday now so unfortunately the truck is gonna have to get driven burning oil or not.  I plan to rebuild this winter, but I'll keep a sharp eye on it.  Ive never jus dealt with a problem but I've also never been married or had a kid.

I've learned a ton from this thread tho. I really do appreciate all the help.

Will