Author Topic: Emergency electrical generator suggestions.  (Read 622 times)

cleandan

• View Profile
Emergency electrical generator suggestions.
« on: December 21, 2022, 09:38:14 AM »
I am considering an emergency generator and I would like any useful input you think is prudent.
I am versed in the electrical field enough to determine my electrical load needs so that is not too difficult.
I have worked with generators before so that is nothing new to me either.

What I would like to hear are those things you learned while using a generator in a time of need.

For instance, would one bigger generator be a better choice than two smaller generators?
Are there other brands that are as good, or maybe even better, than a Honda....Cuz man those Hondas are super quiet and run very well....but they are also $$$$.

Is a diesel powered generatot worth the extra cost? I currently drive a diesel powered truck so having a diesel generator may be a great travel asset too.

The main intention for the generator is a major power outage where I need to run my furnace.
While the furnace is the main concern, I know other electrical items will want to be run as well once the generator is up and giving power.

It is worth it to incorporate a power in port to my house electrical system so I can run the generator to the house circuit? I already have plenty of amp capable extension cords.

I also know, once this generator is an option, I will likely use it elsewhere simply because I have it available for use....You know how that goes.

Anyway, what are your "helpful hints" you would use to source an emergency generator?

Thanks and have a great day, and Merry Christmas.

lalessi

• View Profile
Re: Emergency electrical generator suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 01:00:59 PM »
There are a lot of generators around south Louisiana for hurricanes. Several of my neighbors even have whole house emergency generators that run on natural gas. I have a Honda generator for that purpose, we have lost power for as many 8 days. My generator is not quiet, the quiet ones generate DC current that is converted to AC electronically. Mine has an AC generator. I believe the AC types are less expensive in terms of KW/$. My generator is 2500KW that will run the refrigerators (2) the TV and a few lights. I don't remember how much I paid for it in 2008. There are a couple of inherent issues. One is gasoline supply. You need several 5 gallon cans. I added a drain valve on my '57 Ford's 22 gallon tank to avoid that issue. The second issue is reliability. My generator sits for years on end I seldom think about it. I run the fuel out of it for storage but I have had to have it serviced when I think I will be needing it. Heating is not a big issue around these parts but cooling is. A generator to run the central air in my house would be too large. My suggestion is make sure you get one with more power than you think you need and periodically start it. I hope this helps.  Good luck!
Lynn

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 03:18:51 PM »
I struggled with this myself and wound up buying 2 smaller generators and the cables to pair them together.  I bought generac 2200I inverters.  This gives me the equivalent of a 4000 plus watt generator and greater portability.  They are about half of the money of Honda 2100 inverters and I can carry one in each hand and store them on shelves easily.  The biggest problem with a larger generator is the fact that they are so big and heavy that they can be hard to store and maneuver.  I think the 2200I has been supplanted by the 2500I, but the concept is still the same. 

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 03:22:13 PM »
At my previous house, I had a stand alone 5000W gas powered generator.  I had an electrician install an outside plug and breaker switch so in the event we lost power, I could just plop the genny down, hook up the cord, throw the breaker and have power in about 10 minutes.  As lalessi alluded to, the hardest part was staying on top of maintenance and making sure it was ready to go when you needed it.  I tried to run it at least once a year for a few hours, just to keep up on it.  That genny had a Tecumsah engine and was LOUD.  It wasn't big enough to support the electric floor board heat, or the electric boiler for the in-floor heat.  However, it could run the blower and heat pump / AC on the natural gas furnace, keep the lights on, and the fridge cold.  I.E. keep the house from freezing up even if we were without power for a few days in sub-zero temps.

With the new house, we are in the process of installing a 40 kW solar system.  Since we opted not to put in a battery system (Holy Shit is Elon proud of those damn things), we installed a Generac Natural Gas genny along with the solar.  The goal is to be able to be off grid for extended periods of time if needed (or as long as the city is providing natural gas).   

I am still looking for a PTO driven genny to mount on the front of my vintage Wheel Horse.  However, that is more just for style points, then being terribly useful.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 03:31:04 PM by FrozenMerc »

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 03:59:26 PM »
To properly connect the generator to the house power requires that an interlock device or transfer switch be added to your service panel to prevent back feeding into the main power supply. I believe there is some legal liabilities if these devices are not incorporated. Obviously if you’re just connecting a few plug-in devices to the generator you could get by without them, but, that’s not easily done when powering the furnace, central air, water heater, etc.  Youcan Google this to get a better understanding.

If you frequent Craigslist or Marketplace there’s usually some used generators for sale. I picked up a 5500 watt Honda a couple years ago on Craigslist for about 2/3 of retail price. It was a few years old but was essentially new, just a few hours on it. You do need to figure out how many things you will be running and make sure your generator is got enough watts. The one I got will pretty much handle my needs other than I might need to avoid running to many high current devices at the same time.

I would be a little hesitant to go with a diesel, primarily because of the risk of the fuel going bad.  It’s not really a good idea to run them completely out of fuel and getting them up and running if the system was completely empty could be a challenge. I guess if you run it often and keep the fuel fresh it would be fine. On the Honda that I have I put a little gas in during the summer and run it completely dry until it’s needed. Since I have gotten the generator I have not had a power outage long enough to put it to work. I’m in southern MN and slated for below zero temperatures and 50MPH wind so maybe I’ll get to try it out real soon. LOL

63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 08:45:10 PM »
A little over 2 years ago, we moved from a major city in Western Canada, to a rural area of Nova Scotia, which means we have a well for our water, and a septic system. Since this is on the Atlantic coast, where we get some strong storms, so I was recommended to get a good sized back up generator. Luckily, our house was built with a seperate circuit breaker box, that has an outside plug, so I was able to buy a cable that has a twist lock end to match the generator feed connection on the outside of the house, and the other end plugs into the generator. I bought a 10,000 Watt Firman generator, which runs on gasoline, or propane. It is fairly big and heavy, but is on wheels , so it can sit in the basement, and when needed, be rolled out the door, and the cable is long enough to position the generator away from the house. It is fairly noisy, but with the doors and windows closed, not objectionable. Our generator has electric start, but also has a back up pull line. The generator backup system in the house won`t operate everything, but it does run most of the lights, the refrigerator/freezer, microwave, the heat pumps, well pump, etc. I also have a small 2000 Watt quiet generator , like used for camping, but it is too small to run all that stuff. As for fuel, I keep the tank on the generator full (8 gallons), and keep 4 5 gallon "jerry cans" full in the garden shed, I use ethanol free premium gas, with some Stabil added. I start the generator for 5 or 10 minutes every 5 or 6 months, and also drain out the old gas, and replace it with fresh fuel at the same time. Same with the gas in the shed, burn that in our daily drivers, and put fresh gas in the jugs. In the bit over 2 years here, we have only used the generator twice, and the longest was 5 hours, but having the security of a back up system is re assuring.A racing budy that has lived in the area all his life, spent almost $20,000 on a Cummins diesel 20,000 Watt system, that runs of propane. He said after being without power for a week after a hurricane, that he was not going to go through that ordeal again. His system is fully automated, it starts itself up every month for 10 minutes, and does a system self check, and if the power goes out, the generator starts itself up and is setup to switch the circuit breaker box automatically, so he needs to do nothing. Overkill for most, but he told the generator company that he wanted enough power to operate everything like normal. If you are on city water, you can get by with less power, but to me, more is better.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 09:24:06 PM »
We have a 2kw Honda.  It’s the cats meow.  It’s very quiet, easy to move, and easy to maintain.  Use it mostly camping and it will run the house refrigerator or furnace…probably enough for many people.

We also have a 6kw diesel.  It’s easy on fuel, is a solid work horse, and I feel safer with diesel jugs than gas jugs.  But…it’s dang loud and I wouldn’t even consider getting it if I didn’t have a few places to work off old diesel.  I’ve started it in 10 degrees but I am not confident I could start it in sub zero temps. We have it wired to run the whole house except the AC and dryer.

Parents have a 15 kw pto driven that runs on their tractor.  It cost less than my diesel generator because it does not have its own engine.  It runs the whole house…water pump, electric water heater, dryer, etc.  Great if you have enough tractor.

Our house and parents have double throw knife switches to separate generator and power company making it impossible to back feed. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 08:38:48 AM by TJ »

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 12:58:04 PM »
Lots of good points already. We have 6 small Honda generators that can be bridged as needed. Gas powered and very quiet. Good for parade floats, booth power etc... But low fuel capacity for long term home use.

The big diesels are great for 150kW or more. Some are whisper quiet in low power mode. Typically they use Camlocks. Here's a random example.
https://www.elecdirect.com/cam-lock-connectors/400-amp-cam-lock-connectors

You would wire these to circuit breakers that snap into your fuse panel. Can be temporary or permanent. Have to see about local electrical codes.

Maintenance is important. For diesel you add a treatment to the tank but also pull the fuel filter and add treatment there. This allows all the fuel to be treated. I don't have any experience with non petrol generators however.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 01:02:13 PM »
Just treated and prep'd 11 of these for the winter. ;D
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

badcatt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 12:18:07 AM »
We loose power every winter. Sometimes for days. We have a 3600 watt generator. It was only good for a partial power back up. in 2020 we got a 12000 watt unit, had a switch and plug in installed.  Last winter we had the fewest hours of lost power since I moved here in 2009. But this winter it has been used much more. It i nice to have heat, water(we have a well) and hot water.
We just had a huge snow fall and had a ice storm predicted. So far that has not happened. But yesterday I tried to fire up the generator, it didn't want to fire up. Took my about 20 minutes to get it running. I'm going to add a battery maintainer to it. That will save ne a lot of pulling on the rope starter.
I have the small generator for my shop now.