Author Topic: Going partial solar in shop  (Read 783 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Going partial solar in shop
« on: December 18, 2022, 05:09:03 PM »
After considering it for a while I ordered a solar kit for my shop. I have a Generac 14KW generator for my house but the shop runs on its own power.
With the kit I ordered I can run everything in my shop except the welder's and compressor.
If I like it I can add on to the kit for 220V's later.
Cost was $1600.00 which I don't consider to bad.
Greg

mike7570

Re: Going partial solar in shop
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 12:49:42 AM »
Sounds like a good choice, that’s only 2 months of electrical bills in the summer at my house.  >:(
What is the name of the kit?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 12:51:26 AM by mike7570 »

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 09:04:36 AM »
That price sounds very low to me.  What are the specs on the system - how many watts output?  What are the inverter specs?  Does that price include batteries?

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 12:30:22 PM »
It is the Renolgy 400 watt premium kit.
Complete Kit cost was $1603.53 as I ordered it.
The Panels and kit was $689.00 before I added my change's.
It comes with a 40 amp MPPT charge controller. Includer in kit.
I upgraded to a 3000 watt pure sine wave converter. Not included in the kit. Kit comes with a 2000 watt converter.
I also added a 200 amp 12V AGM battery. Kit does not include batteries.
I also ordered all the cable's I need to hook the batteries up. About $39.00.
This will get me going and I can upgrade as I learn more about solar.
After reading up on solar I have decided to order 3 more battery's, 4 more panels for a total of 800 watt's and a 60 amp charge controller.
Panels are $109.00 each and the batteries are $369.00 each. The 60 amp charge controller is $289.00 as of today.
What my experience with solar is that I have bought some of those stick in the ground yard lights that you buy at Lowe's and I bought a solar radio once.
So I guess I have a lot to learn but the system as I bought it will do what I want as of now.
The prices were quite a bit lower because they are having a Christmas sale right now.
Greg

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 06:32:53 PM »
Greg,

That's a good start, you'll probably end up expanding it!  I have a fixed solar system on the roof of my Airstream and recently purchased a 200W Renogy solar suitcase.  In case you're not familiar, it is a portable system that plugs into the trailer but can be moved into the sun if needed; the idea being that you park the trailer in the shade and put the solar suitcase in the sun.  I got it during their sale too, some pretty good deals.  I previously purchased and installed a pair of 100Ah Battleborn lithium batteries.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 06:55:40 PM »
I am fairly certain that I am going to expand the system.
It will be delivered tomorrow. I am going to call and see if they will exchange the 40 amp charge controller for a 60 amp as I want to go to 48 volt's and add some more panel's.
That way I would be able to run my compressor.
Well we will see how it works out.
I looked at the lithium battery's but wasn't  ready to spend that kind of money before I find out if the system will work out.
Greg

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 10:03:12 AM »
Sounds like a good choice, that’s only 2 months of electrical bills in the summer at my house.  >:(

Holey Moley!!   In August with air in the house I may bump $90 electric.  You are 10x that!  Ouch!  Winter is about $50/month.  I feel lucky for sure.

I have contemplated solar for the garage but cost recovery may take a long time.  I put led in place of my old florescent bulbs.
Larry

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 10:19:14 AM »
My house electric is about $210.00 a month and my shop is about the same depending on how much welding i do in the shop.
The reason I wanted to power the shop is that we have quit a few ice and wind storm's here.
We have gone 22 days with no electric at a stretch. Some  of the outages have lasted 9, 11 18, and 10 days with a lot of shutdowns of up to 14 hour's.
When I have no electric in the shop I can't do much tinkering so I decided to try solar.
Hope it works out.
Greg

mike7570

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 11:13:30 AM »

Holey Moley!!   In August with air in the house I may bump $90 electric.  You are 10x that!  Ouch!  Winter is about $50/month.  I feel lucky for sure.

I have contemplated solar for the garage but cost recovery may take a long time.  I put led in place of my old florescent bulbs.

I would need a pretty big solar system and I don’t know if I could recoup enough cost to make it work if we move soon. California has pretty nice weather but the cost of living is getting ridiculous. With water and gas my average utilities for the year are over $1,000 a month. Looking at Arizona around Prescott.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 11:17:46 AM by mike7570 »