Author Topic: dialing in the stroker ?  (Read 19539 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: dialing in the stroker ?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 11:14:24 AM »
I think I would try to bigger squirter; you need more fuel and enlarging the squirter size will give it to you.  Have you played with pump cam positions?  I assume you got a new pump cam with the 50cc pump?
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 12:26:52 PM »
well I think Im on the right path ! lol ... I took the carb off and opened up the plates 1 1/2 turns and the carb reacted good ! The idle went upto 2,250 or so and once I turned it back to 900 it idled good and the fast idle cam seems to work correctly again.  I hooked up the vacuum gauge, and  that moment happend when I said to myself Your DUMB ! My gauge read 6" of vacuum !!! No wonder this this has been a pain to adjust ! This carb has the stock power valve in it(6.5) ! I need like a 2.5 or a 3 !!!! Im betting the power valve is trying to open at idle !

So of course I dont have one here and I wanted to see if the hesitation is gone,So I went for a cruise to fleet farm. Car ran real good ! no flat spot but slightly rich in the transition. ( I can tune that with a pump cam swap)  Im happy ...   So fleet farm has 91 non oxy fuel ! great ! Im empty and fill it up, On the drive home all my tuning goes out the window ! every thing went from high 12's to high 10's !  lmaoooo  can't win ....
 :)

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »
well I think Im on the right path ! lol ... I took the carb off and opened up the plates 1 1/2 turns and the carb reacted good ! The idle went upto 2,250 or so and once I turned it back to 900 it idled good and the fast idle cam seems to work correctly again.  I hooked up the vacuum gauge, and  that moment happend when I said to myself Your DUMB ! My gauge read 6" of vacuum !!! No wonder this this has been a pain to adjust ! This carb has the stock power valve in it(6.5) ! I need like a 2.5 or a 3 !!!! Im betting the power valve is trying to open at idle !
 So of course I dont have one here and I wanted to see if the hesitation is gone,So I went for a cruise to fleet farm. Car ran real good ! no flat spot but slightly rich in the transition. ( I can tune that with a pump cam swap)  Im happy ...   So fleet farm has 91 non oxy fuel ! great ! Im empty and fill it up, On the drive home all my tuning goes out the window ! every thing went from high 12's to high 10's !  lmaoooo  can't win ....
 :)
Power valves have nothing to do with idle if the carb is built right and running right. P/Vs are a part of the main circuit and should only discharge fuel while the main cir. is in operation. If there is no fuel flowing out of the booster venturis [main circuit] it is not active. A leaking/defective p/v will dump fuel into the intake manifold via it's vacume port, not the main cir.

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »
My raid should be here tue/wed.... I got busy tearing it apart tonight and I inspected the old/stock/recored in the 90's radiator. I tore it apart and I'm 90% sure this was my cooling problem. from the very top it looked ok but 80% of the cores were plugged up with corrosion ect. I wonder how it flowed/cooled at all. amazing how well it looked to flow from the top with the cap off.  I then took the thermostat in the house and cooked her ! lol ... what I thought I had in there was not the case. I thought I installed a 190 .. Its a 180 ...  The old cookie temp gauge said it opened all the way around 200 ! and this was heating fairly slow.  So yea it works but not perfect. 

Now the waiting game ,install the new raid .... figure out fan clearances and get a new fan .......

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 12:12:58 AM »
gettiNG FLUSTERED.. !  Brand new 4 core, dual 1,400cmf fans/and shroud.  Brand new thremostat,all new hose's, High volume water pump. start motor from room temp and within 5min its got the thermostat open  and every thing flowing good. 10min of running and its hovering over 200-215 ! this is in the garage and hood open on high idle ....... the motor seems to build temp real fast, I looked at the head gaskets and I can see the gasket all the way to the end. Is this thing just not broke in yet and runs a little hot ? I got good air fuel and plenty of timing in it .....  I dont get it !

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 07:55:15 AM »
Often with the hood open the air dont pass trough
the radiator so the car overheat. Try with the hood
closed

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 07:56:44 AM »
Have you run it going down the road?  If it cools OK at 50-60 MPH and then heats up when you slow down, your fans are not cutting it.  I learned the hard way that there is a big difference between the various electric fans, and that the ratings sometimes don't mean much...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 08:11:24 AM »
thanks... Well Im going to take it out today and see what it does..  :'(

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 10:00:03 AM »
If it's good going down the road and heats up when idling.  Blame the fans. 

2800 cfm is about 2/3 of what I like to see on electric fan used as the primary cooling fan, depending on which brand/model/mounting etc, you could even be at 50% of the value you think you are too.

For a street strip car, I much prefer keeping things at thermostat temp, and if it takes an engine driven fan, so be it.  I would have to assume as you get up to speed, the amount of drag gets less and less due to vehicle speed, so I doubt the HP gain would be functionally significant to boot.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »
Your carburetor experience is a real good example of why I have gone 100% to EFI. I have several boxes of Holley stuff in the back of my storage from over the years, and a few pieces of Weber stuff as well. But nothing works so nicely as just pushing a few keys on the laptop to make improvements!

KS

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 03:43:33 PM »
Your carburetor experience is a real good example of why I have gone 100% to EFI. I have several boxes of Holley stuff in the back of my storage from over the years, and a few pieces of Weber stuff as well. But nothing works so nicely as just pushing a few keys on the laptop to make improvements!

KS

You can say that again!  Matter of fact my current program will log, then offer me its recommended improvements.  If I load them and don't like them, I hit undo, and try something different!

Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »
thanks... Well Im going to take it out today and see what it does..  :'(

If it works going down the road and you want to keep the electric fans, get some Spal fans.  They are the only way to go, IMO...
Jay Brown

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 07:38:48 PM »
went to car craft and it got hot 250 hot ! .... We let it cool and headed home, pulled the fans and shroud off and installed the clutch fan. Now it runs 200 down the road and 220 idling around the fair grounds. Never got hotter than that but still on the hot side. Im not worried about 200/220 ..

Going back to car craft in the am .. I need to get some miles on this thing so she loosens up some ... lol....

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 08:29:26 PM »
220 isn't too hot, but keep in your hip pocket that no clutch fan runs at pulley speed (other than modern vehicles with locking electric clutches)

So if you decide you want even more wiggle room, a stock sized Flexalite with a standard spacer works really well.

I only HAD to use them when I lived in the desert, where they were amazingly efficient, but you can use them anywhere you need some good idle airflow

Here is the style I grew to love in Las Vegas, they move a TON of air, but aren't noisy like the big flex fans

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/fans-mechanical/rotation/clockwise/blade-type/standard/universal/yes/hub-color/black/clutch-required/no/blade-material/steel?keyword=flexalite

Ross

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »
Worked on it this morning and I think I got it working good now.   I had to modify my stock shroud just a little bit to make it work on my aftermarket radiator. Now in the shop it heats upto 180 and just sits there. (thats the thermostat temp) before it would goto 200 and creep up slowly.

final setup is

5 blade stock style fan clutch
Stock fan shroud relocated mounting holes
4 core radiator

if the weather calms down I will be testing today .....

thanks for all the added info .... ;D