Author Topic: 2022 Mitsubishi CX-5 tire wear oddities and dealer reaction (opinions wanted)  (Read 744 times)

cleandan

• View Profile
Due to the current hike in all car prices, as well as the lack of inventory when we were searching, I chose to lease a new car for my wife this time around.
She fell in love with the Mitsubishi CX-5 SUV and we are currently leasing a new 2022 version.
This is the first least I have ever done.

Anyway, we have just completed the second scheduled service for an oil change and tire rotation, as well as a general checkup (10,000 miles)
The tires get rotated at each check.

The "trouble" is the tires are feathering on all the outside edges. This can be easily seen and felt so I put it on the checklist for the dealership to look into.
My wife took the car in this time and they pretty much shuffled her off saying we checked the tread depth and it is just fine, nothing to worry about, and sent her on her way after the service. No mention of the feathering............

The tires are feathering pretty quickly in my opinion...at least I think 5,000 miles of use giving rise to noticeable feathering is quick.

Anyway, I am wondering if there is anything to take note of, worry about, or get taken care of so I am not stuck at the end of the lease with some kind of "extra wear and tear" penalties.

I specifically asked my wife to get this feathering issue noted in the cars history with the service department of the dealership to indicate we did mention it as soon as it was noticed.....she did not get that done.

Whachya think?

shady

• View Profile
Just tell your wife to slow down. cars handle so well today that is easy to drive them hard without giving it a second thought.
Tire brand, profile, air pressure and road surface all play into wear. It only becomes a concern to me when a tire has to be replaced because of uneven wear. You can always have the alignment checked. I've had some new vehicles that had horrible factory alignment.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

TJ

• View Profile
Could check tire pressure. I googled and this car is around 3700 lbs.  For cars that heavy I keep the tires around 40-42 psi to keep tires from wearing on the corners (assuming the alignment is good).

I got a diy'er kit for checking toe, camber and caster.  It ain't the greatest but still faster than dropping off a car and going back to get it if all I'm changing is a control arm or tie rod.  Plus, some cars have no adjustment other than toe.

Any comment on how the car feels driving in heavy rain?  Maybe I'm getting older and overly sensitive but lately I feel I can tell if toe is off by how a car handles in heavy rain.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 10:12:04 AM by TJ »

frnkeore

• View Profile
Sounds like a toe out problem, to me.

Run parallel strings near the CL of the tires (parallel to body), then measure the distance, to the front & back of each tire side wall.
Frank

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
It needs a four wheel alignment if it has IRS and front wheel drive.  It is common for a new car's alignment to be off slightly and the dealer should check it.  My wife's Avalon had that issue new, and the dealer did a four wheel alignment, and it has held just fine for the past 12 years.  My new 2021 Corolla hatch had the same issue and I had the dealer check it.  They did a four wheel alignment with me watching, and it drives just great now.  The Corolla gets 44-45 mpg on the highway at speed with the AC on and two adults with luggage.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

StarlinerRon

• View Profile
Most 4wd's will wear like this, it is the required camber/caster settings that do this. The tires are actually twisting the edges up and then wearing them off while turning.

Always rotate front to rear every 5k miles to let them untwist. If car has IRS they won't come back as well as a solid rear axle.

Good luck,

Ron.