Author Topic: Holley LED headlights  (Read 928 times)

MRadke

• View Profile
Holley LED headlights
« on: October 04, 2022, 09:45:04 AM »
Has anyone tried the Holley Retrobiright LED plug and play headlamps?   https://www.holley.com/products/lighting/headlights/  I'd be interested in reading an unbiased review before I invest in a set for the galaxie. 

TomP

• View Profile
Re: Holley LED headlights
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 12:15:07 PM »
I have seen the ad and they looks like a good idea. Less load on the switch so no need for relays. I'm interested in hearing reports from the field as well.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 01:26:04 PM »
I was interested as well until I saw that they were $200 each and my Comet uses 4. No thanks.

At my shop I had to tell customers regularly that replacing their HID headlights with a burned out ballast was $1000. Hard sell. What a fiasco.

It will be auto parts store halogen headlights for me. Have driven hundreds of thousands of unlit 2 lane highways with those, and although marginal, work fine.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 08:05:59 PM »
I've used a LOT of the Morimoto sealed series LED bulbs and 1 set of the Holley's. Like everything, there are pluses and minuses. They are better than halogen's by a long ways, less load on old wiring, and if properly adjusted are not as blinding to on coming traffic as other options like HID retrofits. If it's something you'll drive any real amount in the dark they are well worth it.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 01:30:12 PM »
i considered them but $800 for each of my car's was the deal breaker.
Would like the better light's but can't see that amount of money for them.
If i can't see well enough at night I will just slow down a little like I have done all my driving life.
Greg

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 08:07:53 PM »
I was interested as well until I saw that they were $200 each and my Comet uses 4. No thanks.

At my shop I had to tell customers regularly that replacing their HID headlights with a burned out ballast was $1000. Hard sell. What a fiasco.

It will be auto parts store halogen headlights for me. Have driven hundreds of thousands of unlit 2 lane highways with those, and although marginal, work fine.
Remember when the new fangled halogen lights were so bright it seemed fantastical as compared to the yellow, dim, incadescent bulbs?
When I see an old classic driving home from a show or cruise, and they are running original lights, I often first think "that car has a grounding issue"......Nope, just standard headlights.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 10:38:05 AM »
I remember when the halogen lights came out. Friends dad had a gas station
with a repairshop. He installed a lot of halogen lights, we took a bunch of the
old lights and installed on our "car", built out of a salmon crate with rearwheels
from wheelbarrows and frontwheels from a lawnmower. Yes big and littles ;D.
Down from my house is a long straight road with no streetlights. we pushed the car
down there and waited untill there came a car, then we flicked the switch and lit up all
lights and run and hide 2 7 inch 2 5 3/4 inch and 4 foglights on the rear wing ;D ;D ;D
most cars stoped with screatcing tires ;D ;D ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 08:12:00 PM »
I'll just keep my old halogens.  Any of those retro kits are blinding bright, I don't care what they are.  On a perfect flat road they might not "blind" oncoming traffic ......but most roads are NOT flat or straight.  Corners and hills make it impossible for me to see the road anymore with all the new LED or HID headlights.  I wear my sunglasses 24/7 to drive.

I can see just fine with my old headlights.   I think so much of the new lights are wasted energy(glare) and don't really light the road well.  They are focused boxes and beyond that you drive into darkness.  You have to have "driving" lights to help assist the poor focus of new headlights.  Most new cars have up to SIX lights at night.  WTH is that?
Larry