Author Topic: Clever repair on C scratch  (Read 808 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Clever repair on C scratch
« on: October 17, 2022, 12:19:26 PM »
Nothing fancy, but doing a 69 C-scratch original CJ, making a hyd roller CJ stroker with some other goodies for a 69 CJ C-6 car

However, it had two #1 cam bearings in it, position 1 and 2.  A little weird with the bleed groove in #2, but I heard Ford did the resize the day to save a block and had a #1 sized non-channelled bearing at the time.  This engine has been rebuilt and the previous builder just used a second #1 bearing

I have a set of aftermarket block cam bearings and will break up a set to avoid a #1 slotted bearing in #2 for style points mostly, but I also have a single #1 coming that may not have the groove as well to avoid eating up another set.  First one I have seen.  Could have been a later machining correction or could have been done on the line as I have heard of it before.  Either way, was funny to see the #1 cam bearing in there
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: Clever repair on C scratch
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 11:22:45 AM »
The NOS 428 service block I ran for 19 yrs in the wagon had #2 cam bearing out of location from new.  The first time we assembled it we found this little snafu.  We bored #2 for a #1 and then soldered the groove shut.  Every freshen up(about every 5 yrs) we replaced it.  The block sits in the garage waiting on another project to go in someday.
Larry

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 10:12:05 PM »
When I built one of the first Genesis blocks they did not yet have cam bearings for them (I released the original 1268M set from F-M a few months later).  I used five of the "number one" bearings with drillings as needed and left the slots in there.  Worked fine for many years.  That block is still out there somewhere...

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 07:03:02 AM »
I can't imagine that it would matter as you've seen too, a very small groove and in the #1 position, that path feeds the distributor and the plate groove without burning up a bearing and this would be more restricted than that in the #2 position.

I may do that, I have a few Durabond #1 singles,  The other side of me still wants to break up a set for style points no-one will ever see LOL
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch