Author Topic: worried to death  (Read 1499 times)

MRadke

• View Profile
Re: worried to death
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2022, 06:31:57 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                 it sounds like you have something nice to remember your dad by  WHY take a chance damage/hurting  the engine-- you need to pull the valve covers and make sure valve stem seals are good -many times    going bad and pieces end up in the oil pan - then in oil pump-it STOPS and you WILL have engine to               rebuild-or worse!!  PULL the pan -clean- make sure you have a full screen on the pickup to keep junk    out - same as old plastic cam gear -will not be good for oil pump     do what you should!! also watch                 for junk plugging up rocker assy.     with good oil another 80++ miles is easy but you need to do the right things----------old iron   

I couldn't agree more. When I inherited my father in law's galaxie, the first thing I did was get with a friend and pull the engine to renew the seals and update the timing set.  Gives a person peace of mind.

StarlinerRon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2022, 08:34:23 PM »
And don't forget the Rislone! Works great.

Ron.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2022, 08:55:06 PM »
the guy who bought it off us in 83 is a mechanic at the dodge dealership in town.he swears nothing is wrong with it.oil was full and clean when i found it,and he said it didnt use any.rad was full of green af.it starts right up and idles,no smoke,no noises,all lights,heater,radio,wipers+washers,still full of blue liquid. its been took care of,just been sitting under some trees for a few years. i gave 500 for it,spent 300 fixing it up over a 3 month period.i hope to get some tires put on in a month or two.i absolutely stole it. i wouldnt take 20 x that for it.its that nice inside and out.but right now my wife is bedridden and i dont have the time or the funds to tear into it.its all original and never been molested.i dont plan on going nowhere in it.hope its ok till i decide what to do.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new