Author Topic: Need help with tire size for 63 Galaxie  (Read 1370 times)

MRadke

• View Profile
Re: Need help with tire size for 63 Galaxie
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 06:42:32 AM »
245 60s look good and carry these cars well. Why not

consider getting wheels of the proper width and backspace?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 12:50:35 PM by MRadke »

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2022, 07:43:58 AM »
Oh no. I haven’t bought anything from Jegs in a long time and I don’t remember them having a bad reputation but the way they are handling this seems pretty lacking (trying to run these tires damaged my car). At first they said they wouldn’t take them back at all, supervisor said they would and now he is not answering when I call and not returning my calls. I did a search for some recent reviews and they are really not good. Damn. Looks like I am just screwed.

I"d be surprised if they took them back since you mounted them , that's pretty much standard fare from everywhere , you mount them you keep them .

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2022, 12:51:42 PM »
Oh no. I haven’t bought anything from Jegs in a long time and I don’t remember them having a bad reputation but the way they are handling this seems pretty lacking (trying to run these tires damaged my car). At first they said they wouldn’t take them back at all, supervisor said they would and now he is not answering when I call and not returning my calls. I did a search for some recent reviews and they are really not good. Damn. Looks like I am just screwed.

I"d be surprised if they took them back since you mounted them , that's pretty much standard fare from everywhere , you mount them you keep them .

I know a lot about cars but I don’t know much at all about tires. I told them this right out of the gate. They then sold me tires that do not fit and caused me to have an accident. Luckily nobody was hurt, but if I was killed you can guarantee they would be sued and they would lose. So, it really doesn’t matter what their policy is, you can’t misrepresent something in order to make a sale.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2022, 12:56:02 PM »
245 60s look good and carry these cars well. Why not

consider getting wheels of the proper width and backspace?

I may get some different, wider rear wheels in the future, but I want to be able to show this car sometimes and it should have its original wheels on it.

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2022, 01:18:27 PM »
Wheel vintiques makes original looking wheels in the width and backspace you need.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2022, 01:47:01 PM »

I know a lot about cars but I don’t know much at all about tires. I told them this right out of the gate. They then sold me tires that do not fit and caused me to have an accident. Luckily nobody was hurt, but if I was killed you can guarantee they would be sued and they would lose. So, it really doesn’t matter what their policy is, you can’t misrepresent something in order to make a sale.
[/quote]

Wasn't a dig on you or Jegs but every tire company that my shop has ordered tires through in the last 25 years won't take a tire back that's been mounted ,if you get them replace the tire more power to you , Now if Jegs didn't install them on the rim and the car I think responsibility would fall on you but I'm not an attorney , just an auto mechanic for 44 years
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 01:48:46 PM by e philpott »

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2022, 02:07:17 PM »

Wasn't a dig on you or Jegs but every tire company that my shop has ordered tires through in the last 25 years won't take a tire back that's been mounted ,if you get them replace the tire more power to you , Now if Jegs didn't install them on the rim and the car I think responsibility would fall on you but I'm not an attorney , just an auto mechanic for 44 years
[/quote]

I didn’t take it as a dig and Jegs policy is that they will not accept returns after they have been mounted. I’m just saying in this case they are legally responsible. If they don’t have the right tires for my vehicle, they can’t lie to me and tell me something will fit just to make the sale. In my case it caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to my car. I’m not a lawyer, but I would try and sue them, and for a lot more than the cost of the tires, if they didn’t let me return these.

ETA: I should note that when I ordered the replacement tires from Summit, even though I had confirmed with the help of a local tire shop that they would fit, they would not guarantee fitment. They expressly said that once mounted I can’t return them and I should have my tire place measure and make sure these will fit before mounting.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 02:11:41 PM by 428Marauder »

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2022, 02:24:58 PM »
Wheel vintiques makes original looking wheels in the width and backspace you need.

Thanks. I’ll check them out. I do want to put some wider, stock looking wheels on it, but as I said I also want to have the option of all original wheels if I take it to a show or something.