Author Topic: Kurt Neighbor Thunderbolt Clone Video  (Read 1794 times)

hwoods

• View Profile
Kurt Neighbor Thunderbolt Clone Video
« on: September 08, 2022, 07:57:24 AM »
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: Kurt Neighbor Thunderbolt Clone Video
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 08:56:52 AM »
Really good video.
Wonder where he got his head's.
Nice clone.
Greg

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 04:02:27 PM »
Not to be a negative or anything, but I'm the type of guy that reads NHRA rules at night instead of reading what normal people read :o. I kind of question the air cleaner base he's running....what do you guys think? If you watch the video on Ray Paquet's car, he also runs a piece of aluminum sheetmetal, but it looks to be the same size/shape of a factory oval base? I'm not sure how much the tech inspectors let slide, I'm sure the non-FE guys get away with way more anyways ;D

Here's the rules:
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 08:13:29 PM »
Technically that's not an air cleaner. No filter, no housing, no top, and no feed hoses like the original. Probably gets by with calling it a heat shield, which is probably it's only purpose, although it may help minimize air turbulence near the venturi openings.

Good video. Evan has finally been making videos that should have been made many years ago. They could be an hour long and I'd still watch them.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 10:31:10 PM »
Questioning the tins Adam's & Paquet have/had on the T-Bolt's pales compared to what they let the AH cars get away with! I know Kurt has Paul's 64 now but Paul made that car what it is! It was a direct competitor for Ray! Since Kurt got it, it's not the killer it was.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 08:09:48 AM »
a .999 lift cam? Wow!

I do wonder how quick it would go with unlimited engine mods? Better heads, leading to more tunnel ram mods, bigger carbs, etc. Would high 7's be possible? Amazingly quick. I do remember drag rags of long ago highlighting Dyno Don's lightweight injected, nitro-burinng  Eliminator I turning the very 1st 7 second run. Hard to believe that gasoline powered, carb equipped cars are knocking on that door.
Bob Maag

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 09:18:13 AM »
I know Kurt has Paul's 64 now but Paul made that car what it is! It was a direct competitor for Ray! Since Kurt got it, it's not the killer it was.

I don't think that's a truly accurate statement the way it's written.  I think Kurt has done really well. 
But the challenge from Paul kinda motivated Ray to really step up his game and its been "lights out" since then.

Perhaps the best part of this is that we have two extremely cool guys competing in and winning "top of the food chain" Super Stock classes in two awesome Thunderbolts.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 09:45:07 PM »
+1!!!

KS

SJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 01:54:24 PM »
I know Kurt has Paul's 64 now but Paul made that car what it is! It was a direct competitor for Ray! Since Kurt got it, it's not the killer it was.

I don't think that's a truly accurate statement the way it's written.  I think Kurt has done really well. 
But the challenge from Paul kinda motivated Ray to really step up his game and its been "lights out" since then.

Perhaps the best part of this is that we have two extremely cool guys competing in and winning "top of the food chain" Super Stock classes in two awesome Thunderbolts.

Great posts and very dead on, Paul raised the class up to where it is, and then ray raised his program and then Paul sold out. Kurt does really really good with his program!  Let’s not forget Dallas Kelly, he has a strong runner in B
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 01:59:22 PM by SJohnson »
SS /D

SJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 01:56:36 PM »
Not to be a negative or anything, but I'm the type of guy that reads NHRA rules at night instead of reading what normal people read :o. I kind of question the air cleaner base he's running....what do you guys think? If you watch the video on Ray Paquet's car, he also runs a piece of aluminum sheetmetal, but it looks to be the same size/shape of a factory oval base? I'm not sure how much the tech inspectors let slide, I'm sure the non-FE guys get away with way more anyways ;D

Here's the rules:

It’s just a heat shield , not an air cleaner
SS /D

StarlinerRon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 02:21:20 AM »
You would think that the factory ram air tubes would be faster.

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 08:09:41 AM »
You would think that the factory ram air tubes would be faster.

in interview with Ray Pacquet, Ray said he did not find the factory ram air tubes made a difference, so he doesn't rum them
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2022, 09:59:22 PM »
On that particular car, I don't know, but for years Kurt has had an excellent working arrangement with Jim Dove. It's very likely that the heads are Jim's work.

KS

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2022, 02:04:25 AM »
On that particular car, I don't know, but for years Kurt has had an excellent working arrangement with Jim Dove. It's very likely that the heads are Jim's work.

KS

Highly unlikely that Dove had a head at that level. I do know that Paul Adams was a big fan of Blue Thunder heads although no idea what is currently on the car. That car sold for a steal of a deal and it's great to see it out running hard.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2022, 07:45:29 AM »
Paul told me at the Columbus swap meet years ago that he liked Blue Thunder and in particular the ones with the small ports , BT made some big port stuff too he didn't like that one

SJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2022, 03:17:44 PM »
They are not dove heads, those heads didn’t go with the car when Paul sold it. Had a talk with Kurt the Monday after Indy
SS /D