Author Topic: NHRA rules help  (Read 720 times)

Greaterthenjake

• View Profile
NHRA rules help
« on: September 02, 2022, 08:17:32 PM »
Long story short. Long time car guy big mustang and FE guy. Love the brain trust here so much info can be learned about more than just the FE. Had plans to build a 390 powered ranger life happened that didn't go so smooth. Fell into a extremely solid SN95 mustang and a 6.0 Silverado. (I know I know the devils powerplant)

I got the bug to build it and if I can do a drag week. Stupid power seems to be possible with this power plant and I am trying to navigate the nhra rules as well as the drag week rules for the street race category.

The plan is to do the things I should for a 8.50 cert even if the driveline isn't up to it at the moment. Things like a cage etc. I may have some questions on best practices there as well. I am unsure of the silly stuff like what's legal for a fuel cell. And I cannot find a cheat sheet or a Legal NHRA for Dummies Book.

Any and all input is appreciated. I am starting late with the rules and way over my head.

Current build is a 6.0 destroked with a 4.8 crank and rods a 7875 turbo a pair of 4mm wastegates. Good flowing stock heads and a built 4l80. Sorry I know it's gm but you guys have your stuff together and I am a ford guy at heart.

mike7570

Re: NHRA rules help
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 12:19:18 AM »
Go to nhraracer.com and navigate to the rule book section.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 11:54:11 AM »
I agree with Mike, go to the NHRAracer.com website for access to the rulebook, not the regular NHRA page. They usually sell actual paper copies of the rulebook too, although I don’t see it offered on there at the moment, maybe because it’s so late in the year. They usually have actual copies of the rulebook for sale in the NHRA merchandise tent at national events too. NHRA does have a cheat sheet of sorts, I posted a couple example pictures below, although be aware, I’m sorry it’s 10 years old, so stuff like the helmet specs are out of date. I’ll have to look around to see if I have a newer version. I think they include these sometimes with the membership packs.

That NHRAracer website also has a section of NHRA accepted products, be sure to check that out too. There are lots of products, even sold at places like Summit, Jegs, etc., that although might be functionality fine, may not be NHRA legal, or legal at a certain ET, etc.

Along with the rule book I’d advise going to any drag strip you have nearby and check out some cars, especially if you can find any similar Mustangs, and talk to the owners, see what tips they have. Bigger races the better possibly, just for more cars to check. The cage diagrams in the rule book can be kind of generic, sometimes a specific vehicle can have particular challenges where you have to get creative, but stay within the rules. Often times you can see alternative ways to do something, and still be within the rules. Be aware too that occasionally track tech inspectors don’t always give accurate info, don’t be afraid to double check something with another source.

I’d say to go back and check through Jay Brown’s various “Road to Drag Week” posts on the website here, he has lots of info & pictures from when he built his various Drag Week cars in the past, including the cages. 

And if Hot Rod Drag Week, or any of the other Drag & Drive events that have sprung up are running near you try to check them out too, although their stops at each track are brief, and drivers take off early and hit the road often. The Hot Rod Drag Week rules can sometimes be hard to interpret, and even among participants there is sometimes disagreement on what’s allowed as far as Hot Rod’s build guidelines for a particular class. And unfortunately Hot Rod is notoriously hard to get ahold of for clarification. Hot Rod has also been doing 3 year rule sets, I’ve lost track of where they are in the current set, but that’s important to check, so you don’t build your car to a current spec that changes in the (near) future. Many people have started a build that takes longer than planned, and wind up no longer within the rules of the class they intended. Best advice is usually to build the car you want, and let it fall into whatever class it winds up in, but if your goal is to try and win or place in a particular class than obviously more attention needs to placed on that.

There are good chassis shops around that can install a custom cage, and make sure you have a solid foundation, if you decide you want to go that route, you can possibly get recommendations here or at your local track for someone near you.

There are a few Facebook pages for Drag & Drive events, although some don’t let you join until you’ve actually done or entered an event, but they can sometimes be good for clarification on the various event rules, by people that have “been there, done that”, although beware again, there is often disagreement on what’s ok, but occasionally you can get the right person’s attention. I’ve also found the advice many people on the internet give out about what is & isn’t NHRA legal is wrong, or misinformed, more often than not it seems.

Keep asking questions as you think of them. 

« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 12:03:34 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Greaterthenjake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 09:28:37 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the website and the pics even if they are a bit dated. New England dragway isn't too far from me I will have to head there and soee who and what I can find. I missed most of this season being in Brazil for work and on my way back tommorow. All the lovely OT pays for the car.

So when I see things like un modified floor pans. Does that mean clearancing with a hammer is a go but no welding?  Also I get the no voids thing on a cage and no grinding so it's probably ly best to tack things out of sight?

Thanks again everyone.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 11:49:52 AM »
Rule book
https://nationaldragster.s3.amazonaws.com/Rulebooks/2022_NHRA_Rulebook_22_08_02/2022_NHRA_Rulebook_22_08_02.html

The current copy of the above out-of-date list is on page 356/357

Get most of what you need in the ET section starting at page 80.  Most tracks run a bracket program and that would be most of what they see on the track.  The super top end of Drag Week cars will get super scrutiny. The pilots know that and are not afraid of the inspector.

Basically, if you run under 6.30 (10.00 1/4) your needs for tech and safety go way up.  Slower than that, basically jacket/pants single layer, current helmet (read the chart carefully depending on the vehicle)  and belts in date and properly secured to chassis/cage, shutoff if battery in trunk, bar or cage install.  Helmet+jacket mandatory at 7.49 1/8 mile, helment mandatory at pretty much anything under 13.56 1/4 mile