Author Topic: The future doesn't look too bright.  (Read 5187 times)

mike7570

Re: The future doesn't look too bright.
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2022, 07:04:27 PM »
Right now people who leased cars and are at the end of the lease have a gold mine. They buy the car at the end rather than turn it in and are selling them for thousands over the buy back.
Gold mines are the people selling trailers in California to people who are leaving. I just sold my 20' Carson enclosed trailer for $9,500. I paid $5,000 for it in 2006 when it was 3yr old.
The buyer said he was moving to Kentucky and couldn't find anything decent for less.
That money was burning a hole in my pocket, so I bought a new 24' ATC trailer for the stocker.  ;D

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2022, 12:30:12 PM »
CA people that are moving to Texas to "escape the tax burden" better take a hard look before they sell the California Dream.  Property taxes here are not cheap and they could be in for a shock.  I've talked to a few that found out we - TX - didn't live up to the hype.  Certainly that depends on where you land.  As an example - we're in Taylor County - start looking at city, county and school rates in surrounding counties and if we moved 30 miles in about every direction we'd pay more, all else held equal.  Houston/Harris county is nuts - you'll have county, school, likely water, street, subdivision, HOA and who knows.  If you don't like the idea of an HOA, better ask when looking because most new subdivisions will have them.  Rural DOES NOT guarantee your taxes will be lower - most likely as a rate per $100 valuation on a home the rates will be higher.  Much higher.  Note we have counties with 1000+ sq/miles and maybe 900 people. 

CA average is #16 - TX is #46
https://www.rocketmortgage.com/learn/property-taxes-by-state
Compare TX and NM - TX no state income tax, no tax on most groceries.  NM - state income tax, tax on groceries but property tax less than half TX.  I've noted that a mobile home in NM not on a permanent foundation may not be taxed as a "home", so tax could be even less.  Solution - live in a mobile home outside of Las Cruces, drive to El Paso to buy groceries LOLOL

You will find less "regulation" in most places, especially rural TX.  Lots of smaller cities have very little building restrictions, low permit fees if they issue permits at all.  That certainly differs from CA.  Housing is certainly cheaper.  500K in CA is a 3-1 fixer upper, 500K here is a big house on acreage.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 12:45:58 PM by Falcon67 »

mike7570

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2022, 05:34:00 PM »
That tax chart is not even close, there is no way a 505,000 house in CA only pays $1,644 property tax. The .76 rate does not include county, city or school district amounts which push the property tax rate over 1% just about everywhere, 1.02-1.20 is normal and you can't get a garage for 500K unless you live in the desert. Orange County where I lived for 30yr the average is over 1M. Add that to the high state income tax, gas tax, sales tax and you get the reason TX is a better deal. Most states are a better deal especially RED states.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2022, 11:48:13 AM »
Too much political stuff here, guys.  Take it elsewhere - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC