Author Topic: c6aeu cylinder heads  (Read 734 times)

6W61Q

• View Profile
c6aeu cylinder heads
« on: August 18, 2022, 06:27:07 PM »
From what I can find they are not anything special. Are they in the same league as a c4aeg or c6aer?  Thanks for any info. I am a very long time follower just do not post. Bob

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: c6aeu cylinder heads
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 10:16:07 AM »
The C6AE-U heads were one of at least 6 common FE cylinder head castings used in the 1966 model year, the others being the C6TE-G, C6AE-J, C6AE-L, C6AE-Y & C6AE-R. The C6AE-U heads came in both 8 exhaust bolt pattern for the full size cars, T-Birds & pickups, and 14 exhaust bolt hole pattern for cars with shock towers. They also came with the the Thermactor ports drilled or undrilled. From what I have seen since I’ve been logging casting dates is the various 1966 model year common cylinder heads tend to run in date ranges, and some overlap or run concurrently with others. The C6AE-U heads by casting date run toward the later half of the 1966 model year, and overlap with the dates of the C6AE-R heads. The C6AE-R heads, just by what I’ve seen with the casting dates, seems to have had the longest production run during the 1966 model year, followed by the C6AE-U. Ford seemed to be using most of these heads castings that model year interchangeably, and there are multiple reports of original cars that have one cylinder head casting on one side and a different one on the other side, of the head castings that were being manufactured at the same time period. Performance wise the  C6AE-R heads are probably a little better, with the taller intake port, but remember that as cast the C6AE-R heads have that combination exhaust port with both the floor of the port having the earlier FE head higher location, and the roof of the exhaust port having the lip of the lower location of the later regular FE heads, so they tend to have the smallest exhaust port exit of most FE heads, unless you remove that lip. The C6AE-U heads are probably closer to the C7AE-A heads.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

6W61Q

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 07:00:08 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I visit this forum every day, Great folks even answering simple questions!!

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 11:00:51 AM »
Kevin is spot-on.  I had a set here, I wouldn't use unless I somehow needed to have the exact head for a resto. 

Small intake, poor flow, no benefit on exhaust, although only marginally, C8AE-H and D2TE-AA have a better chamber with same bad flow.

Nothing special, C6AE-R even factory stock will gain performance in all but the smallest cid/lowest rpm engines
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch