Author Topic: Old school 352 short track engine teardown with couple questions  (Read 7586 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Old school 352 short track engine teardown with couple questions
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2020, 02:42:14 PM »
If you want a measurement including the crevice volume, you can also grease up a top ring, put it on the piston, set the piston down X.XXX" down the hole, figure out the volume for a cylinder that's the diameter of your bore with X.XXX" length, and then subtract what your burette measurement is.

But then you don't get to play with Play-Doh....

You got me there.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2020, 04:21:34 PM »
I have a 427 that broke a rod in the same place put a window in each side of the block just on top of the pan rail.They went out on the track and found the block parts and brazed them back in ran it for years.They said they got hit i in the ass hard and tried to spin it backwards is what they thought broke the rod

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2020, 09:59:06 AM »
I have a 427 that broke a rod in the same place put a window in each side of the block just on top of the pan rail.They went out on the track and found the block parts and brazed them back in ran it for years.They said they got hit i in the ass hard and tried to spin it backwards is what they thought broke the rod

Before the 426 Hemi came to power, so to speak, in the nitro classes, old 392's were routinely patched up just as you noted since even then, say 1966 or so, the old school Hemis were getting rare in junkyards. The newer and better version of the Hemi design were plentiful as Chrysler made a lot of 426 spare parts and even what came to be known as crate motors. Funny, but I do know a lot of the teams literally junked a lot of brand new engine parts to get only what they wanted: Kellogg cranks, the blocks, heads, rocker assemblies, valve covers and precious little else. I guess they sold off the carbs but the dual quad intakes, pistons, steel rods and  more were sold for a song or scrapped.

What would many would pay for those parts today, eh?
Bob Maag

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2020, 04:22:38 PM »
Took a little work, but found an incredible old school machine shop in town that's going to knurl the two pistons that are in the .050" over cylinders to tighten them up a bit.  I know, it's hack, but goes with the theme of this whole deal.  Did confirm they're forged pistons by the way, found pic in old Jahns catalog that showed them as forged model, and the old boy at the shop verifed they don't have enough bracing and such to be a cast piston. 

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2022, 01:32:50 AM »
Dredging this one back up.  Life got in the way with distractions so this went on the back burner for awhile.  Bought an F100 and a Fairlane, got two new puppies...no time for an old race motor. 

Bringing it up to speed, I got the pistons knurled at another shop, rods resized with ARP bolts, and after getting the heads back decided it needed to run a hydraulic roller as the takeoff TFS springs had ~420lbs open pressure as I recall.  Happened to have a mike jones cam I wasn't using with 235/239 .612/.600 that should match the intent pretty well.  Yep, roller and morels in a pile of crap, but oh well.  Heads flow 295cfm @ .600 so if this thing actually stays in one piece, it could make some power.  Thinking it should peak around 6200-6300 with this cam?  Will be running a ported street dominator. 

It was great walking the old man through it last weekend, they just slammed them together back in the day so he's never used a mic or a dial indicator.  Not that I'm an expert as I'm just learning as well.  Bottom end is buttoned up, deck clearance measured at .015-.025, cam degreed in perfectly at 108ICL on a 112.   I'm a little worried about PtoV, have a pushrod checker coming in.   I made one that I used on my 390 but this setup is taller and I barely had any thread engagement, decided to try it anyway and it crumpled the checker once I got a little lift going.  The valves in the old combo must've hit the cylinders as both intake and exhaust sides have been clearanced.  Intake side was done with a die grinder or hand file, really ratty, but the exhaust side they did some sort of milling to make the notches, although they're at different depths.  Just another time I asked the old man exactly how much beer they drank when working on this thing.  I mocked it up and had .720" before the exhaust valve hit on the shallowest relief, without a head gasket, so think it'll be ok. 

I have stock adjustable rockers, I have a set of POP end supports on the way but was just going to run stock inner stands and shafts, assume it'll be alright.  Melling pump, Comp timing chain were found on the parts pile...and I get to finally use the ARP pump drive that I've had in the toolbox for 20yrs for some unknown reason. 

The "sins" in this engine keep mounting but if it holds together that'll be part of the fun.  .050 and .040 bores, pitted bores, knurled pistons, 332 FE pistons, LeMans rods that looks like they were lightened by one of my dad's buddies after his first six pack of the night, .025 deck clearance, valve notches all over the place...we'll see how it goes

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 01:55:53 AM by chilly460 »

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2022, 12:30:01 PM »
Nice job!
What valve size on the heads? 2.09"?
Did you have to re-balance for the capscrew rods?

The street dominator - did you ever measure port CSA? at plenum opening? In the runner? I have always wanted to know what the CSA is on those manifolds. The Street Master was around 2.3 square inches at the plenum opening (unported).

Cheers!!

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2022, 02:24:55 PM »
The rods were in it so I didn’t rebalance, I know technically with new bolts and rings maybe it would need a balance but for this deal it’s going back together. 

I haven’t really looked at the intake yet, just been trying to get the long block together to this point.  I’ll have to study on it a bit, I’ll likely not try to match the floor of the heads since the LR ports are so low, just as one thought

Valves are 2.15/1.65 TFS takeouts, got a good deal on them and put them to use, if I knew they’d end up in a small bore I’d have gone smaller.  Side note, engine had a 427 head with 2.09s in it and one head with 2.03 standard head on it, was run that way as a racer back in the day. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 02:28:26 PM by chilly460 »