Author Topic: Keeping your cool  (Read 1504 times)

475fetoploader

• View Profile
Keeping your cool
« on: August 01, 2022, 09:54:42 PM »
So, this has probably been discussed before, but I’m not finding it.  1967 Fairlane, I’ve been looking at radiator options.  Cold Case looks nice, wondering what people have had success with.  Nice BBM that will build good power, would like to cruise around town with it. Thanks!
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

Jb427

• View Profile
Re: Keeping your cool
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 09:03:10 AM »
Derale fans + shourd  davies craig fan controller i think i use a 25" shroud/fan set up 2x 12" or 11 inch fans summits got a bunch you should find some thing there i run a 160 thermostat air temps here often get over 40deg c or 105 deg f  I have 0 probs with temp i will say i would like to add an engine oil cooler.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 09:29:17 AM »
So JB427 you have a 160 thermostat so what do you have your fan controller set to come on 170. And if that is correct does your fan ever shut off after it comes on?. I would have to imagine that it would have to shut off at 155 so the thermostat could shut no. I live in New York so it doesn’t really hit 105 but some 95 degree days and humid is probably the same thing.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 09:57:59 AM »
my probe is the external type that slips between radiator fins by the upper radiator inlet. I set mine at about 140 and fans start at 160 on my autometer temp gauge if you had an internal probe in the radiator for the fan controller i would think closer to 160 170 would be fine. My car will sit at 170 in traffic all day long

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 10:38:59 AM »
US Radiator makes some very nice stuff. All U.S. made also. I have their stock type 3 row in my Mach that has served me well over the years. The only time it crept over 200 was on Drag Week, sitting in a traffic jam on a 90* day with high humidity. That is with no electric fan and a stock type shroud, 497 hp, all iron and a cramped Mustang engine bay. It hit 210* and I was about to pull off and let it cool down when traffic finally started to move.

US makes a very interesting 3 & 4 row triple pass radiator, where the flow is divided in the upper and lower tanks and makes 3 passes through the core. They claim it makes a 20% cooling improvement over the single pass. Together with the increased tube/fin count, it should make a big difference. I was thinking about using that for my new engine, since it see's plenty of street time on the long drives. I also will be switching to dual Spal fans on a custom shroud, along with a CVR pump and Jay's adapters. Hoping that will be enough. Airflow is very important, and all the info suggests that Spal fans move more air than any other aftermarket fans, although some guys seem to have good luck with using newer OEM fans, such as Taurus units.

Warning about those triple pass radiators though, they are pricey.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 11:36:00 AM »
So JB427 you have a 160 thermostat so what do you have your fan controller set to come on 170. And if that is correct does your fan ever shut off after it comes on?. I would have to imagine that it would have to shut off at 155 so the thermostat could shut no. I live in New York so it doesn’t really hit 105 but some 95 degree days and humid is probably the same thing.

where i live in Australia 3/4 of the year is hot 30/35 deg c + you would need to pick a thermostat to suite your local weather. my engine temp wont drop below 160 even on the coldest of days here im not sure about the fans turning off they may turn off with highway driving. but that would only be from air cooling the external controller sensor 170f to 180f sitting at 3k rpm 70mph my engine is like your new engine build.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 11:38:52 AM »
Spal is really about the only  company that publishes real verifiable  data. Spal supplies the OEM market, so the data has to be accurate. The Taurus fan from the 80's and 90's was the best, designed by a small group of aerodynamics engineers, in Massachusetts.  ( don't remember the name of the company). I tested a lot, and never found anything for the size to beat it. That's why Ford used them, they worked. These guys were ahead of the game. The other fans are knockoffs of some work done by OEM suppliers ,like Spal. SPAL had some sharp engineers on the payroll. If one can fit that Taurus fan , it works.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 01:44:52 PM »
I was chasing a running hot problem I tried pulley and Griffin aluminum radiator. I finally was recommended by someone on here I  cant remember who. I had a 180 thermostat and I had my fan controller set at 180 for the fan to come on and it would be fine for a while until it just would creep up and up. My thermostat was trying to open at 180 and my fan was closing it. I ended up staying with the 180 stat but had my fan switch (no controller any more) come on at 195 and it goes to 180-185 then creeps up to 195 and starts all over again. I would like to get a switch that the fans come on at 190 instead of 195 and see if i can get the fans to shut off for alittle bit.   

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 02:52:02 PM »
We've been racing with 105 ambient temps lately. The red truck stays cool. The Camper Special radiator is probably the key component in all of it. Probably won't fit a '67 Fairlane though :) but everything else could contribute. CVR water pump with Jay's adaptors. A pair of Taurus fans with a custom shroud. Fans on at 200 off at 185. 180 T-stat with 1/8 holes drilled in it. Water temp gets up to 205 after a pass but by the time I get back to our pit spot, the temp is down to 190. The C6 is plumbed in series from the radiator to a 45k BTU cooler from a F450 V10 motor home. It never gets over 150. So we're getting some additional cooling there too.  I've noticed the guys with smaller radiators burn E85 also.

snagit

Kevin McCullah

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 06:35:55 PM »
I was chasing a running hot problem I tried pulley and Griffin aluminum radiator. I finally was recommended by someone on here I  cant remember who. I had a 180 thermostat and I had my fan controller set at 180 for the fan to come on and it would be fine for a while until it just would creep up and up. My thermostat was trying to open at 180 and my fan was closing it. I ended up staying with the 180 stat but had my fan switch (no controller any more) come on at 195 and it goes to 180-185 then creeps up to 195 and starts all over again. I would like to get a switch that the fans come on at 190 instead of 195 and see if i can get the fans to shut off for alittle bit.

i can adjust my fans turning on from 0 to 210 with the https://daviescraig.com.au/product/digital-thermatic-fan-switch-12v-24v-0444 mine is a few years old too they have newer ones now too
have you thought about a 170 thermostat keep in mind the external controller probes do not read the same as the actual water temp. they have soft fan start and im sure now you can get ones that you can have 1 fan turn on at one temp and a second fan turn on once it reaches desired temp.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 06:56:59 PM »
nice controller but Im working now I was just wondering if you were fighting yourself too. Apparently not.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 08:46:27 AM »
I use a 31 x 19 Summit unit with a set of LT1 Camaro fans.  Been on the car for 20 years, everything from 300 HP to 500HP and a lot of racing.  The Camaro assembly fits perfect. 67 Falcon with a 351C, same engine compartment dimensions as a Fairlane.

CV355

• View Profile

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 04:04:08 PM »
How did we keep the cool back in 60's-70's with the factory shroud and fan? Seemed to work well enough back then! 

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 06:51:45 PM »
Falcon 67 do you know the numbers on the lower radiator hoses. I had mad the sam setup and lost my sheet with the part numbers. It took forever to find 2 of the right hoses

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 10:13:34 PM »
Running original radiator in my Fairlane, 390/AC car. People at cruises look at it and ask, does that little thing keep that 482 cool?
Overdriving your water pump is inexpensive and easy to do. I found a small water pump pulley, (around 6” OD). The engine cooled down so much I changed my thermostat from a 180 to a 192 version. The ratio between wp pulley and crank pulley needs to be 1 to 1.25 or higher.

I do have a Crites hood with the fresh air opening in front and cut back shock towers but I had those when the engine used to go up to 215 degrees with a clutch fan. ( flex fan currently).
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’