Author Topic: Modifying a Mustang to remove the spring towers  (Read 1978 times)

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
Modifying a Mustang to remove the spring towers
« on: July 24, 2022, 09:51:29 PM »
CammerFE referred to mods to Brother Lons's Mustang in a another thread...

Quote:  And, so as not to compromise the header design, we removed the spring towers completely and went to coil-overs out in the wheel wells. The mounts for the upper A-arms were lowered considerably and moved outboard. Tubular A-arms were much shorter. We also had to re-do the steering link. Unquote.

Are there any pictures posted of this somewhere?
What A-arms were used? Springs, etc. ?

Thanks

482supersnake

• View Profile
Re: Modifying a Mustang to remove the spring towers
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 07:28:23 AM »
If I was going to remove the factory shock towers from a Ford this is the kit I would use. https://mikemaierinc.com/products/64-73-mustang/front-suspension/64-70-mustang-mod-2-front-suspension-kit/

The mustang II style kits create comprises and other problems.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 08:02:20 AM »
If I was going to remove the factory shock towers from a Ford this is the kit I would use. https://mikemaierinc.com/products/64-73-mustang/front-suspension/64-70-mustang-mod-2-front-suspension-kit/

The mustang II style kits create comprises and other problems.

I like the kit but at $7,000+ (taxes, shipping) that is a whale of a lot of moola.
Bob Maag

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 08:16:33 AM »

I like the kit but at $7,000+ (taxes, shipping) that is a whale of a lot of moola.

+ installation, and that will be a biggie, too, if you aren't set up to do that kind of work yourself.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 12:10:41 PM »
Aldan American sells coil over conversions

https://aldanamerican.com/product/coilover-kit-ford-falcon-1967-front-450-lbs-in-0-0-1-5-in-lowered-sku-m1sbf2d/

As for moving the A-Arms around, that seems like it would require finding the arms you want to use and modifying the mounting location.  Then trimming down the tower while leaving space as needed for the coilovers - if any at all.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 05:37:57 PM »
There are also strut conversions that allow you to take most of the tower out and less work and less stuff hanging off the bottom than the MII based kits. Enough to fit a Coyote or mod motor.

https://www.rrs-online.com.au/ho2-coil-over-strut.html

https://ajesuspension.com/product/64-70-mustang-starter-kit-colt-65/

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 08:33:50 PM »
I have the RRS strut front suspension kit for a 66.  Mustang II suspension is much more popular, I liked this route better, either way it's not a cheap endeavor...

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 10:21:21 PM »
When we did it, I was writing for Super Ford Magazine. I'll have to dig back and figure out exactly what issues hold the original articles(s). I don't suppose SFM will mind if I make copies available. We did it all without outside help at all from any manufacturer. It's not very well known but basic A-arms are readily available for quite low prices from people who deal with circle-track racers. It's usual to be regularly smashing up suspension components. I don't believe we paid more than $20 or so for what we used.

The trick is getting the geometry right when you move the upper arm mount. The factory exhaust runners in the heads are VERY close to the mount points. Since the Dove runners are angled up it makes things easier.

KS

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 09:40:12 AM »
The "shelby" mod described in the Boss 302 Handling Book could be a source for info on lowering/positioning the upper arm mounting.  I've done two, the Falcon was the first.  There's a difference IIRC between 66 back and 67 up.  Basically I had a stainless plate made that mounts to the existing holes and has 1/8" pilot holes for the 1" drop.  They angle forward  slightly from the existing holes. 

I would be looking to replace the stock strut rods along with a coil over thing, just because.  I like that AJE thing - that's interesting.  If it allows for a "small block" engine to convert to a rear sump, that would help putting a diaper on the car. 

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 04:59:44 PM »
I have the RRS strut front suspension kit for a 66.  Mustang II suspension is much more popular, I liked this route better, either way it's not a cheap endeavor...

Which brake kit did you use with the RRS stuff? It appears as though they use their own stuff or OEM stuff off an Aussie application rather than Wilwood or Bear or something. I like the idea of keeping the stress loads in essentially the same places as stock but have the extra room and reduce the tendency of the upper arm/top load coil to try and twist the rail inwards with the stock style suspension.

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2022, 08:38:00 PM »
They do pedal their own line of brake stuff, but I used Wilwood.  Since I already had a Wilwood kit on the rear they set me up with the caliper brackets, aluminum hats for the rotors and the part numbers for the appropriate Wilwood rotors and calipers. 

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2022, 09:11:32 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions.  The RRS Coil Over conversion is nice but as said is expensive. 

What are the front suspension differences between the '66 Falcons and the '67 Falcons?

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2022, 09:17:37 PM »
i just installed Alan coilovers and rrs strut brace on my 66 fairlane i bought a bolt in kit for the coilovers the coil over is less then 3 inches round if you wanted to notch the towers more like a boss 429 mustang here is some 4 door Australia falcons with tower mods one has coil overs other still has coil springs you could go even more with a coilover like aldan. might save your self 3 to 5k
2 pics falcons are modded to fit a 460 in

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 09:20:57 PM by Jb427 »

Sozen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2022, 11:32:03 AM »
Another place that sells a kit to notch the towers and use the strut rod would be:

https://www.gatewaymustang.com/suspension

I've personally not used this kit as I'm still debating my final setup but I figured I could give you another option to look at.  I've also spoken to RRS and like others have said have the ability to do Wilwood kits for brakes.  Gateway has Baer on there packages.