Author Topic: Power glide/ trans brake help!  (Read 981 times)

1966lanetp

• View Profile
Power glide/ trans brake help!
« on: July 22, 2022, 11:56:11 AM »
I was going to take my new (to me) ‘64 Galaxie to the drag strip tomorrow, so I got it out and did a short pass in my drive way. Put the shifter in reverse, hit the trans brake to activate reverse, backed up a long ways then did another short run now no reverse! I can hear the t/brake click and the light on the delay box comes on but won’t back up. Also now it won’t hold in first gear either. I know very little about auto drag cars, so any help or advise would be appreciated!
Car has an Art Carr power glide with trans brake, 5500 stall converter, Msd 2 stage and delay box
Thanks Randy

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: Power glide/ trans brake help!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 02:45:25 PM »
the reverse clutch is not working , a pressure gage is needed in the case on the rear reverse port to see if there's any pressure , if it has pressure most likely a clutch problem , if it has no pressure then it's a valve body problem ... Does the Manual valve feel normal shifting from park to 1st and all between ?

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 03:39:54 PM »
Stupid question, but did you check the fluid level?

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 06:05:23 PM »
Ha ha, yes I did. However I may have done something stupid, it has a reverse toggle switch on the dash to use to backup so you don’t have to hold the steering wheel button, I think I left it on when I ran forward and burned out the solenoid! I’m going to get one tomorrow hopefully that’s all that’s wrong. I doubt if I do that again!

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 12:14:26 PM »
That was exactly what I was going to ask - if you checked the solenoid wiring and action.  The TCI solenoids are nice but the wires are so thin you best not keep it energized for very long.  I have same setup in the dragster - can us the button to back up but it's easier to flip the switch and drive it back, then switch off.  I use a lighted switch to try and keep me aware of the switch status.  You could also wire in a LED dash warning light to let you know the backup switch is engaged.

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 05:32:14 PM »
Thanks, it does have a separate light in the dash and one on the delay box. I’m not sure if I drove forward with them on or not. I replaced the solenoid with a new one, still not working. I’m trying to check the wiring, does the solenoid move ( click) with 12v power or does the transmission have to be running?
I was told that I probably burned out the reverse clutches.

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 05:34:37 PM »
the reverse clutch is not working , a pressure gage is needed in the case on the rear reverse port to see if there's any pressure , if it has pressure most likely a clutch problem , if it has no pressure then it's a valve body problem ... Does the Manual valve feel normal shifting from park to 1st and all between ?
Yes, it seems to work okay going forward.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 11:21:49 AM »
The TCI solenoids I use, you have to pull the disk/plunger back by hand to test if the engine is not running.  Otherwise it just stays in the "activated" position after one test.  Not familiar enough with a glide to say what internal issues might be going on.  I understand that the brake action is low+reverse, so if it's not holding even with a bit of RPM to insure pump pressure the problem would be in those areas, or the solenoid not setting the valve in the right position. FWIW I've had good luck talking to TSR, but I also get help from my local guy - Freakshow Performance.

Specific to a TCI part but may have clues that you could use
https://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/01/10/step-by-step-installing-tcis-powerglide-trans-brake/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 11:23:56 AM by Falcon67 »

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 05:19:02 PM »
The TCI solenoids I use, you have to pull the disk/plunger back by hand to test if the engine is not running.  Otherwise it just stays in the "activated" position after one test.  Not familiar enough with a glide to say what internal issues might be going on.  I understand that the brake action is low+reverse, so if it's not holding even with a bit of RPM to insure pump pressure the problem would be in those areas, or the solenoid not setting the valve in the right position. FWIW I've had good luck talking to TSR, but I also get help from my local guy - Freakshow Performance.

Specific to a TCI part but may have clues that you could use
https://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/01/10/step-by-step-installing-tcis-powerglide-trans-brake/
Thanks, I read the troubleshooting part, guess I’ll have to pull it and find someone to look at it.