Author Topic: Why question continued  (Read 866 times)

driveamerican

• View Profile
Why question continued
« on: July 06, 2022, 09:09:10 AM »
Why did ford not cast all FE blocks as 427 casting with different bore size, why are they still changing bellhousing patterns. I would like to ask current team a hundred questions but I guess that's part of it like family frustrating as hell but don't ever say what I say about my brother.

fe468stroker

• View Profile
Re: Why question continued
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 10:38:54 AM »
My guess on the blocks would be cost.  I heard that the 427 blocks after casting were fed down a long cooling tunnel to minimize stress.  Others might chime in on this.  Remember time = money.

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 01:11:08 PM »
You would have to get the design engineers, manufacturing engineers, tooling engineers, accountants, and managers all in a room and have them explain why the decisions were made.  I can tell you that I have worn a few of those hats for both OEM and Tier 1 suppliers, and quite often the decisions are made as a result of immediate circumstances, even if it is known that they will look foolish in the future.

The other aspect that you have to remember is the OEM is concerned about initial assembly, and initial assembly only.  They care very little about compatibility, ease of service, disassembly, etc.  If they can save a few pennies and increase efficiency on the assembly end, they will make those changes quickly.

StarlinerRon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 11:07:09 PM »
chev's use the same bell pattern on all 4 series of V-8's from 1955 thru today, 262 thru 502 cu in. I've always wondered why Ford had so many different patterns. At least the FE's and Y's used the same starters for a while anyways.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 10:07:30 AM »
A great question that only Design Engineering could answer IMHO.  It does tend to run in families, but it does seem there could have been more consistency.

The other aspect that you have to remember is the OEM is concerned about initial assembly, and initial assembly only.  They care very little about compatibility, ease of service, disassembly, etc.  If they can save a few pennies and increase efficiency on the assembly end, they will make those changes quickly.

As an ex-manufacturing/QA guy - this.  A penny in part config/mfg or assembly can quickly become anywhere from a dime to a dollar or more in final CGS (cost of goods sold).  So when people blame Manufacturing Cost Accounting for pinching pennies, they'll answer "Yea, that's our job".

The design/mfg/tooling engineering is likely spot on - if Ford changed the casting mix for the 427 blocks such that it would decrease tooling life (boring/decking/etc then they would certainly not use that same mix in regular production.  Replacing the cutters on a Blockmaster isn't cheap, I can't imagine the cost in an operation the size of engine production.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:13:03 AM by Falcon67 »

driveamerican

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 03:48:47 AM »
Thanks for the replies but I have one more about the aftermarket blocks and bell patterns with all the modern transmission stuff maybe a dual bolt pattern in the future if we ever return to normal manufacturing procedures? Sorry if I am wasting time it is just throne thoughts.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 08:46:54 AM »
Not sure it could be done, but an FE block with a dual pattern could save people a lot of $$$ in adapter bells and/or plates.  Not a bad idea, certainly.  One of the "holy grail" type Ford 400 blocks has both the big block (429/460) pattern and the small (302/351W&C) pattern.  Cool deal if you can find one of those things in decent shape.