Author Topic: Finally pulled the trigger, Sold my 65 Caliente 2Dr HT I stored for 50 years.  (Read 1024 times)

FERoadster

• View Profile
Decided that I have to many other projects, and I've been here for 74 years.
Rusty Crankshaft saw the car a few years ago and asked me if I'd sell it so now is the time.
I drove the car from new to 62K miles in Oakland Co. Michigan and only got caught in 1 snow fall (2") and had it in the garage before salt trucks got out.
Just had to take a short cruise on Woodward over that Thanksgiving weekend.
Took it off the road in 1972 and it's been stored inside since. Engine is stuck "Ran when parked" but 50 years ago. LOL.
So, a picture of the car before I trailered it to Brookings Oregon in 2010.
Richard >>> FERoadster

gregaba

• View Profile
That is a nice looking car. I really wanted one of those when they came out.
I thought they looked a lot better then the falcon.
I would have ordered the 271 hp ,4 sp,390 rear car.
Greg

428kidd

• View Profile
Richard glad it found a new home, but i know it was bitter sweet. Wished i could have had it in my stable also, great car!

cleandan

• View Profile
An age old story between car guys and future dreams.
I really don't know a car guy who has not had at least one project that either took waaaaaaaaay too many years to get going, or never got going past the stage of dreams and ideas.

It just seems part of the process, and gives rise to a statement a friend of mine made decades ago (Greg)
"Every good car guy has at least one more can than he has parking spaces".

I too have let some things go over the years, and it is not easy because I seem to develop an attachment to the cars.....probably not totally sane, but it happens just the same.

When I finally decide to let one go I do have pangs of regret, but they pass and good memories seem to fill in the vacancy.

I also realize many of the things I did not think about like;
No more insurance payments for that car.
No more planned anything for that car.
No more keeping an eye out for the right parts for that car.
No more moving that car.
Free use of the space that car used to take.
More time for other projects as well as a better focus on thos projects because I am not budgeting anything toward the now gone car.

Yup, letting go of that long term car is never easy for car guys, but often that release opens many new opportunities that work out better in the long run.

If nothing else you know that car went to someone who wanted that car, rather than into the crusher by whomever takes care of your estate and has zero interest in, or knowledge of, said car.

Pretty soon your long term storage Caliente will be taking some wide eyed, smiling kid to the ice cream shop.....even if that "kid" is 50+ years old and toting grand kids along for the ride.

FERoadster

• View Profile
Yes, I do hold onto cars for long periods of time
Uncle's (RIP) 1959 BMW Isetta. He bought it in 1960 with the engine with one rod thru the block repair and another hole in the block from a 2nd rod.
Car was last driven in 1959 Michigan plates and has been inside ever since.

Bought my 1960 Vette in 1977 for $2400 as a basket case but with all new stainless and an Al Knock interior. Still sitting as I bought it. 427 FE stroker is being built.

Bought and have stored a restored 1931 A roadster body since 1974. Still hanging in the shop rafters. FE is ready for that.

Finally I'm now working on my 1948 Lincoln Continental with a 390 and 9" installed. getting ready for the firewall fab and complete wiring.

The Caliente would have cost more than I was willing to spend and I'd rather put the funds into my other project cars.

Richard >>> FERoadster

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 12:45:41 PM by FERoadster »

machoneman

• View Profile
My mantra: if I can't drive it after I finished it 100% or bought it ready to run, I don't want it.

Have seen too many project cars, many that I could finish for cheap and drive, languishing for years on end in dusty garages. Nope, the joy is starting it up and driving it! No joy if a car just sits there and can't be driven. 
Bob Maag

shady

• View Profile
Yes Richard, I feel your pain. The way I get over sellers remorse is to put that money away and spend it on another project, parts or something you wanted for a long time such as another hobby, travel and such. The worst thing to do is spend it on everyday bills. Then you don't have your car anymore or the money.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
Thanks Richard! It made it to it's new home safe and sound. You can also stop looking for the owners manual, I found it....still in the glove box! After spending some time looking at it a little closer today, it's definitely got more rust than I thought. Looks like I'm going to spend the summer trying to find some good sheet metal or more likely building the pieces. Was hoping to have it back on the road by fall but it's going to be a winter project now. Everything but the fuel on the way home went smoothly. I thought I won the lotto when I found diesel for less than 6.40 a gallon!

20220708_192335 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

20220708_192359 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

20220709_190050 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr