Author Topic: The Space Wagon goes racing!  (Read 6836 times)

drdano

• View Profile
The Space Wagon goes racing!
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »
Made my first trip to the drag strip as a participant last night.  Drove my wagon from home roughtly 60 miles to Bandimere for test n tune night.  Rained for the first two hours we were there, then it cleared off and the track crew had it ready to go in 45 minutes.  I've done my fair share of hot rodding around on the street and out of the lonesome deserted highway, but never at a track before, so it was a whole new experience.

I sailed through tech inspection easily and lined right up while it rained.  I was #8 down the lanes when they started.  Left at 2500rpm and spun the tires through first, short shifted the car through 3 gears around 4200rpm.  I wasn't real sure what the hell I was doing, so figured I'd play it conservatively the first pass.  About 100' from the traps I shifted to 4th, which in quick retrospect wasn't a good idea, but did keep the revs down.  Clocked a 16.06 @ 89mph.   Picked up my slip, and weighed the car.  4675lbs with me and all the tools/spares in it.  So, not a terrible pass I guess given the altitude of 5000', heavy car, short shifting and a driver that knows as much as a bag of lug nuts about what he's doing on a track.   ;)  Thats a brand new Audi S6 in the right lane, he ran a 15.89 and his jaw was wide open at the end of the track as I was right there with him.

Second and third passes of the night were poor.  Second pass me and Mr. S6 were paired up again by chance and gave our "nice car dork" wave to each other as we staged.  I got a good launch, went to 5500rpm in first, grabbed second and as the revs hit about 4000rpm it started falling on it's face hard.  Let up, power back so foot to the floor and grabbed third and same thing happened.  Ran a 18-whatever.  Same story on the third pass of the night. 

So, I had two gadgets with me to help this newbie out.  First my Innovate LM-2 recording the AFR and rpm's off the tach, the second a Gtech Fanatic SS/RR GPS accelerometer.  First thing I did after the first pass was review the 1/4 mile data from the Gtech and it was exactly on.  I was quite shocked.  The ET, 60', 1/4 mile and mph were all right on the money.  Amazing.  I pulled the memory card from the LM-2 on all three runs and downloaded the logs into the laptop.  Things looked ok around 12.5 on the first run, with some lean spikes between gear changes that were really short but noticeable in the car.  I can probably adjust some of that out by loosening the secondary air-door a tad.  Second and third pass the AFR was going so lean it was at atmosphere on the third pass when it fell on it's face, so I'm pretty confident it's running out of fuel.  Fuel pump is a Carter 6905, which I thought would be adequate, but perhaps the lines are holding it back.  Got just the stock fuel line from the tank an AN-6 from it to the carb with a canister filter hanging off the left cylinder head. I'm going to try raising the float a touch and see if that helps improve things before I start tearing into the fuel lines and doing upgrades.

Anyway, lots of room for improvement, had a gas and more small projects to tackle on the car for the next trip down for a night of fun.  Should easily be into the 15's with some small amounts of work.  Thats as fast as you guys pull your real cars to the track, but for this land barge it feels pretty good.   ;D

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: The Space Wagon goes racing!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 11:20:16 PM »
Great report!  It's cool when technology points the way to the problem; if you didn't have the A/F meter you'd be guessing about the cause.  Get that fuel system upgraded and get back out there!  That thing looks badass on the track...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »
+1 on the report!  Enjoyed reading it, and your encounter with the new Audi... Thanks for mentioning the LM-2 AFR setup, and how it can be used for tuning in a real-life situation!  :)  looking forward to hearing the next chapter.
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 08:28:07 AM »
One bad thing I should mention about the LM-2.  While driving to the track about every 10 minutes on the open road it would stop calculating the AFR and just freeze...the rpms would still calculate though.  So, I had to keep rebooting it.   >:(  Not cool at all.  I'm going to contact them today and see if I need a firmware upgrade or something.

Do you folks have some suggestions for the fuel system that wont be too overboard or break the bank?  This motor is very similar to the 428 dyno mule from the book, but with a larger hyd roller cam.  I'll try adjusting the float and get a higher flow needle assembly in there, but may need to upgrade the rest of the lines too.

65er

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:32:08 AM »
Cool stuff! Sounds like you had a great trip =)
-Wade

458" Blair Partick stroker/TKO 600 .64 OD/3.89 gears

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 08:18:13 AM »
Dano, it should have a 3/8" hard line from the tank to the pump. Not sure what Henry put there originally?  Depends on which engine the wagon came with. The line should also not have any kinks, etc. 

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 09:36:45 AM »
On the fuel system you need to think about the whole thing, including the pickup in the tank (which could be clogged), the line from the tank to the pump, the pump, and the line from the pump to the carb.  Most people start their thinking at the pump, and forget about the fuel system leading up to it.  It's a pain to pull the pickup out of the tank and check it, but if you have checked the rest of the system and still have a problem, I'd be looking there...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 05:53:27 PM »
On the fuel system you need to think about the whole thing, including the pickup in the tank (which could be clogged), the line from the tank to the pump, the pump, and the line from the pump to the carb.  Most people start their thinking at the pump, and forget about the fuel system leading up to it.  It's a pain to pull the pickup out of the tank and check it, but if you have checked the rest of the system and still have a problem, I'd be looking there...

My buddy who went with me to the track suggested I check the float level.  Turns out it was a good suggestion as it was set way, way too low.  I reset it and went out for a quick spin.  I was able to pull cleanly through first, second, and made it 1/2 way through third before I ran out of available speed limit.   ;)  I'm sure this isn't the end of the fuel supply woes, but it's a good start. 

I did pull the sender/pickup assembly this past winter to diagnose and fix my fuel gauge.  The sock was clean and clear.  The hard line from the tank to the pump is the OEM 5/16" line...which is small.  From the pump to the canister fuel filter to the carb is all redone with -6 AN PTFE braided line (which by the way the tech inspector gave me a thumbs-up on).  This may also be too small.  I don't have a pressure regulator on the car, which I may also need perhaps.  The pump is a Carter 6509 "super pump", which is rated for 6-7psi which is about what this carb wants. 

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 07:07:50 PM »
That is good info.  I was having a hard time believing that you ran ahead of the M6905 pump, unless it was defective in some way.
Jim

dubsan

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 09:19:40 PM »
Hi DR Dano
Really enjoyed your  "tales of Bandemere" 
Have some questions about how you dialed in youir LM-2 and stuff. Am also a front Range resident, abode is just north of Castle Rock. Can I call you  and bend your ear/visit about your space wagon/ how equiped/  and the F/A setup.
Thanks 
Larry  ltduba@hotmail.com  or 7208393477

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 12:34:19 PM »
Larry I sent you an email response about the setup.  Feel free to ask any further questions.