Author Topic: Those cool looking Ford Racing 427 Cobra valve covers...  (Read 1138 times)

427LX

• View Profile
Those cool looking Ford Racing 427 Cobra valve covers...
« on: June 13, 2022, 07:07:37 PM »
The ones for the 351 Windsors punched out to 427 cubes.  Waited a week to get them from Ansen who makes the for Ford.  Go to put them on and
find they hit my roller rockers before the bolt holes come anywhere close to lining up. When you see how they angle the sides in and out for the "look" compared
to my old ones that is why they hit. Damn shame as they really look great!  You would think being a race type tall valve cover they would make them wide enough
to clear roller rocker arms!!

427LX

• View Profile
Re: Those cool looking Ford Racing 427 Cobra valve covers...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 03:09:32 PM »
Got it done today. Had to slot or open up the valve cover bolt holes just a bit and now they drop right on and clear the rockers.

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 12:59:34 PM »
What intake manifold are you using?  My 351W is in the shop, getting rebuilt with a 427 stroker kit put in.  I'd love to be able to run twin Holleys on it!

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 07:59:30 PM »
Only guy that makes one and where I got mine.    https://www.pricemotorsport.com/ Click on Intake Manifolds.

Here I was opening up the plenum bores to 1.710 and also did other port work.  Runners not big like Super Victor but you can make 550 HP with it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 08:16:34 PM by 427LX »

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 09:40:21 PM »
That is one of the worst intake manifolds you could possibly use on a 351W stroker.  There is a boss inside the ports that obstructs the flow terribly on a couple of the runners.  It is one of the hardest intakes to balance the runners that I have ever worked on.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 10:02:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply Joe and you are the one I need to chat with!   I worked on that runner with the boss intrusion using long shank carbide burr and was able to remove a good bit of it and smooth
it out. Don't really know why it needed to be there with enough thread with out it. Would like to hear what work you did to the manifold and results.
Did you flow the intake before and after port work?  After opening up the plenum bores I went in and opened up,radiused and blended the roof of the runners as best I could.
I run a 1 inch four hole spacer to match under the carbs. From what I have read if you cut down the plenum divider wall the airflow will tend to favor the lower level of the manifold due to air speed.

I wish there was a better taller intake like this to mount Holley carbs in line and maybe one like the 427 Tunnel Wedge but nobody has stepped up to build one....unless you have a Chevy LS engine!
However for street use the Price intake isn't that bad with the cam I'm running.  True my first intake was a Super Victor with 950 Holley which pulls harder at the top but this intake seems to run
 better below 4000 RPM. It will cruise with a 14.4 A/F ratio in 5th gear at 1600 RPM where the Super Vic was not as comfortable and needed a 13.4 A/F minimum.

This Dynojet run back in 2018 with the Price Motorsport intake and the carbs opened up to 650 cfm each. 82F that day with East Coast humidity.

I just like the dual Holley setup....a result of my youth in the 60's!  :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 10:08:56 AM by 427LX »

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 03:45:52 PM »
Sorry for slow answer, I have been away from home for a couple of days.  If you look at the bottom picture, and enlarge it, you will see the flow figures for those four ports as cast.  Dismal at best.  I will have to dig out my flow sheet for the ported flow cfm.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 08:07:09 PM »
Yeah I see those flow numbers and that No. 1 is right bad.   Have no idea what mine flows after the work I did to it.  Did you ever run it on an engine to see what it would do?
If you can find your flow numbers after the port work that would be great. Thanks for the reply!