Author Topic: Two post lifts  (Read 1083 times)

turbohunter

• View Profile
Two post lifts
« on: June 15, 2022, 11:44:45 AM »
Been looking around at lifts.
I know BendPak is the big name but anyone have any experience with Olympic?
Looking at 10k lifts because my truck is a bigun.
Suggestions welcome.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
Re: Two post lifts
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 04:58:09 PM »
I just bought a couple Olympics to replace a tired BendPak and a Rotary. No complaints. The Olympics seem to be as good as the other import brands like BendPak. They were the most reasonably priced a few months ago when I bought them.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 05:33:50 PM »
That’s what I’m seeing also. They seem reasonable and the quality seems to be ok.
Thanks
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 09:05:49 PM »
I just bought an Atlas PV-10HX.  800-898-7604 I like it but I selected the wrong installer. 

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 10:42:17 PM »
I just bought an Atlas PV-10HX.  800-898-7604 I like it but I selected the wrong installer.
Last year I installed an Atlas 2 post lift in my garage, and I am very happy with it. Can`t remember the model number, but since my garages ceiling is only 11' feet high, I had to go with a base plate version, that has the cables running side to side on the bottom, below a steel cover about an inch tall. To fit a "clean floor" lift, with the cables running overhead, all the various hoist companies require at least a 12' tall ceiling. I suppose that I could have modified the ceiling and rafters, but since the ceiling is finished with drywall, I didn`t want to do major work to the garage. As it is, I can put my Fairmont, the 59, my Ranger PU, and my wifes Toyota, all the way to the top of the lifts travel (6 feet), so I can stand straight up underneath the vehicles for comfortable working. I looked at Rotary and Bend Pack, put they were about twice the money, and some other brands , like Forward, were on back order for months. For my hobby garage, that may see vehicles on the lift 10 or 12 times a year, I could not justify the price of a commercial grade  hoist. A buddy and I installed the lift ourselves in a few hours, other than the wiring, which I hired a certified electrician to perform.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 08:21:43 AM »
I have one piece of advice to give here, because I learned the hard way. My Bendpak has 2 setup positions, a normal width, and a wide setting. I had plenty of room so I chose the wide setting. Welllllll, this works for my truck or a Galaxie, but a Mustang is too narrow and you can't hit very good pick points. Luckily the race car has a cage in it so I set the front arm underneath the front cage pad where it's reinforced. I don't think it would work with a Fairlane either. When I get my '62 Galaxie pulled off the 2 post I'm going to be working on the lift so I can set it in the normal width position.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 02:41:29 PM »
Yes, better read all the specs for the lift(s) you're considering.  Then cut out cardboard or OSB to the size of the floor plates, maybe some to represent the lift arm carriers and tape that to the floor for a walk about.  Park the vehicles in the space, get out and look, measure, etc. I have a Derek Weaver 2 post floor lift and - lucky for me LOL - the F-350 DRW will just squeeze between the lift arm cradles with a few inches to spare on either side.  Lets me park the big truck in the shop, even though I can't use the lift on it.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 04:48:56 PM »
Not to say they're all the same, but nearly all the hoists come from china with a few exceptions. Most of Rotary's stuff is still made in the US. Some of Mohawk and Challenger were still made in the US the last time I checked. That's why the prices on those are so much higher. Bendpak is really over-priced these days. From what I've seen the Olympic and Challenger stuff is just as nice as the Olympics I just ordered were so much of a price brake I basically got a free lift versus buying a Bendpak or similar.

I will say that the Rotary I'm replacing is quite old and lived most of it's life outside and still works. It outlasted a similar Bendpak lift by a good 6 or 7 years. But for what these are used for now I have no doubt the Olympics will be fine. So far they have been great.

If you don't mind German stuff, Steril-Koni makes some really nice lifts. We just bought 36 of their "wireless" column lifts over the last year and a half and they are very well built. But not all affordable!

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 02:37:15 PM »
Does anyone make a mobile column lift for light duty cars and trucks?

Being out at Back to the 50's over the weekend and looking at drive on runway style lifts with the wife got me thinking.  I really like the mobility (tuck it away in the corner when not in use) and accessibility (no runways in your way) of the set of column lifts we have at work, but I don't work on 45' motor coaches at home.  Everything I have found, Stertil-Koni included, is 14,000 lbs per column or larger.  I just want a set for lifting my much smaller stuff.  The biggest thing I have is a DRW F350.  3,000 lbs per column would be more than adequate.  Is there anything out there in a smaller (2K to 5K lbs) and cheaper price range? 

jmlay

• View Profile
Mike

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2022, 09:31:29 PM »
A buddy of mine has one of those Max Jack portable 2 post lifts, he has anchor studs mounted in the concrete floor, so it is stable in use, and can be rolled away when not needed. It only lifts about 1/2 as much as my full size 2 post, about 3 feet, but with the low ceiling height of his garage, it was a logical choice. He uses a motorcycle lift table to install his transmission and 9" center sections, and uses a stool on rollers to sit on and roll around while under the car. He has the lift for a few years and is pretty happy with it. But, if you have the ceiling height, I would rather have a full sized lift, and the prices are very similar.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 12:23:39 PM »
I looked hard at the Max Jack, but decided - at the time - that $1800 for a full size two post was a much better deal.  In my situation, no problem to cut holes in the shop ceiling to stick those posts up in the attic. 

At first - up on the lift is better than nothing!

Then a few years later - modified the bay area for full use

I'm 6' 1" more or less.  More in high-heel sneakers.