Author Topic: Any glass men here  (Read 1521 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Any glass men here
« on: May 24, 2022, 12:43:40 PM »
Hail got my windshield on my 63 and I need to replace it.
Called the 6 glass shop's here locally and they basicly told me to take a hike, they don't have anyone who knows how to install that type of windshield.
I have done a few installs in the 70's but none since, I believe I can do it myself if I can make one of my arms about 3 feet longer so I can push on the outside as I pull the rope.
Is there a trick to install these with one person?
Thanks
Greg

mike7570

Re: Any glass men here
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 03:55:05 PM »
Ask around at some of the custom paint shops that will paint older cars. The one painting my car uses a mobile glass guy that will come to my location and install my 67 mustang glass.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 04:38:13 PM »
Thanks Mike
2 of the guy's I called were the mobile glass guy's including the one's that advertise on national tv. They told mr they couldn't get the glass and when I told them I had the glass they still backed out.
We are kind of limited hear in southern Oklahoma as to services for older car's but I still like living here and have learned to live with the limitation's.
Greg

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 05:58:42 PM »
Safelite should be able to do it. They replaced the windshield in my '65 Mustang and while they were at my place I discussed having them replace the windshield in my '66 F100. He said some of their guys didn't know how to do the older stuff but they had people that did. This was in Wichita, Ks. I don't know if there is one close to you though.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 06:07:41 PM »
That is one of the company's I called and talked to. If i can get it done in Wichita I can drive the car there to get it done as soon as I get it going again. I could tow it up there but with gas prices like they are it would cost a lot.
It is only about a 4 or 5 hour drive.
Thanks
Greg

mike7570

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 11:12:02 PM »
Two of the shops I talked to about my glass gave me the number of 1 man operations that don’t advertise. They get business through restoration and paint shops by word of mouth. (Probably older guys too  ;D)

djburton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 07:13:45 AM »
These are pretty handy for the rope trick....

https://www.amazon.com/Molding-Installation-Automotive-Windshield-Included/dp/B08YHC81CT/ref=sr_1_31_sspa?keywords=windshield+installation+tools&qid=1653479787&sr=8-31-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUVlGTE5JSFRXTjNBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjAyMDc5M0tCSzdMMDQ5REdYRSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzc4NjQxMVBHQUFUSDNMVTRIViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The key is to keep the rope from twisting.Lay it in the groove with the grain of the rope as straight as possible so it doesn't curl up when pulling.If it gets extra hard to pull,STOP and start over or you could end up breaking the glass. It's really fairly easy. You can do it!

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 10:18:48 AM »
Same here - when I replaced the windshield in my 67 Falcon, the local glass shop helped with everything - ordering the glass, getting the glue and such.  But - would not do the work.  Nobody would take it except Binswanger and those guys are the same monkeys in the transmission commercial.  They do terrible work, scratch paint and don't get me started on their "commercial" work.  So - I did the install.  Getting the old glass detached from the butyl was a bitch, but it was broke anything so it came out in pieces.  Scrapped and cleaned the channel with scrapers and kerosene.  The new glue is very very stiff and I nearly could not get it done with a regular home center caulk gun.  If I do one again, I'll pop for a better gun with better leverage and maybe warm the tubes some before starting.  Had my wife help me set the glass in, gently shimmed it centered top to bottom.  Some 2" tape to keep it centered in the space was all it took after that.  The urethane cures quick so you have to be ready-set-go with everything. 

If it uses a gasket, then the rope deal works - I did my own back glass with some clothes line in the way back.  Wife helped with that too.  You pull the cord and press down on the glass as it sets into the gasket.  Work slowly all the way around.  But not too slow as the glue is curing by the minute.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 10:50:27 AM »
Thanks for the link for the tools.
As far as bad glass work goes I had one of those come to your home installers do my 71 Ranchero around 2002.
When I decided to restore the Ranchero again 3 years ago I had to pull the windshield.
When I was running my blade in it to loosen the silicon I noticed the bottom was loose and you could push it out about 1/2 inch with your hand.
When I got it out there was a hole [8 inch by 6 inch]rusted in the right bottom of where the windshield mount's. He just sealed the top and the sides about 7 inch's down from the top.Nothing on the bottom.
One of the reasons I decided to redo the car is because I could not stop the wet floor and a wind noise on the passenger side.
Wound up having to replace the whole cowl area. Took about a year to finish.
I didn't think you used a sealer on the gasket as I don't remember using any back when we did those in the 70's.
Greg

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 11:11:11 AM »
Nothing more dangerous than an out of practice glass guy on a curved windshield, but it shouldn't take much "long arm ops"  All slap work should be out by the A-pillar, the centers follow well. 

Lube and rope...ignore the dirty thoughts :)   Start at the bottom hook the gasket on the edge, as soon as you get past the first corner, as long as those corners are over the lip, light "clap slap, inside and out at the same time on the edges should keep it down.  Once you get to the top corners, it should stay where it needs to be

Once you get to the final more "clapping" moves it one way or another for the final seat as the rope comes out

The tough parts are getting the chrome in the seal, and it's a bear if you have a crappy rubber gasket, new and soft it should be pretty easy, and carrying a big long glass, best to use two people rather than your hands in the middle.  Always remember, movement has to be parallel to the glass, not perpendicular.  It will move, but it won't bend

Whoever you have do it, be sure to ask who is responsible for a broken piece.  Even if they charge you double, if the installer takes ownership, it's worth it.  If they say you, because they are your parts, then probably should ask the last time they did one.

Another option is to find body shops that do truck work, rubber gaskets lasted much longer in trucks.  You could also call Hagerty, etc, and see if they have some preferred installers

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 11:41:57 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I have a new gasket. It cost all most as much as the windshield. I have the suction cups for the install. They are heavy duty so I should be able to handle the install.
Din not think of a truck body shop. Will look into that.
Greg

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2022, 01:53:07 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I have a new gasket. It cost all most as much as the windshield. I have the suction cups for the install. They are heavy duty so I should be able to handle the install.
Din not think of a truck body shop. Will look into that.
Greg

So some very motivated guy 30 years ago picked up a windshield off a tire for an F109, grabbed it from the center, the weight of the windshield cracked it in half.  Didn't even get a chance to play.  That guy looked a lot like me but more hair and less gray

Got it on the suction cups,  Good technique, but they will likely be on the wrong side of the glass as you initial install the rubber and rope, just be careful
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2022, 02:33:25 PM »
Thanks for the encoragement. Would really be nice if I had a helper but I don't.
I don't mind buying a new windshield if I break this one as they don't cost a lot but the shipping from Flordai is all most what the glass cost.
Think I will order 2 more cups for the inside.
Greg

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 11:19:37 AM »
Just my .02 but if you have chrome surround I have heard that once the glass is out, remove it. Put the chrome trim in the new gasket, then the gasket on the windshield. This is something an old Ford installer stated. It makes sense to me, but more often than not you see the gasket go on the glass, then fight the trim....vastly increasing the odds of messing up said trim.
I have not done it, but will be doing it soon on my truck.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2022, 11:25:10 AM »
Thanks, that info is helpfull.
Greg