Author Topic: My Holley adventure for today.  (Read 1832 times)

cleandan

• View Profile
My Holley adventure for today.
« on: May 15, 2022, 11:05:04 PM »
A car I am working on had the power valve go out on a Holley 715 CFM carb.
Idle mixture screws seated shut, but engine still running, usually tells the tale of a bad power valve.
I searched through my stash of power valves.....eleventeen 6.5's, and at least one of each from 2.5 up through 7.5.....but no 8.5 like the factory specs used....Dang.

Off to the auto parts store....which turned into stores, and here is how things went.

My local O'Reilly's: The two guys working there did not know what a power valve was but they were able to look up the proper part.....after I told them it was for a Holley carburetor, and after I told them the part number would probably be 125-85.
I began the whole exchange by literally asking, "Do you have an 8.5 power valve for a Holley carb?"
Neither of them knew they had power valves hanging on the wall directly behind the counter....Unfortunately they only had a 5.5 and a 6.5.
"Thanks for your help" and off to the next store along my way to where the car is stored.

Almost across the street from the O'Reilly's is an Auto Zone: I pop in and the counter guy asks me "what are you looking for?"
I tell him, "I would like an 8.5 Power valve for a Holley carb"......long pause, and deer in headlights look, followed by, "a what?" We talk a bit....

He taps on the keyboard for a while and then asks if this is for the driver side or passenger side?....You see, his computer, when filled in to search for "Power Valve" went to some front suspension parts for a Volvo.
I spent some time explaining what a power valve was, what it went into, and where to look in the computer.
Finally he was able to access some power valves, along with about 15 other items that had NOTHING to do with carbs....we weeded through the chaffe and eventually he was ready to order a 4.5 power valve for me.
Not because it was the part I was searching for but because it was the top listed power valve on his page.

I spent a bit more time explaining the power valve numbering system and how it correlates to a vacuum signal.....which he did not understand even after the explanation.
Then he took me to the "performance section" in the store, which consisted of a few peg hooks of SPECTRE chrome stuff and a couple see through fuel filters, but no power valves.
"Thanks for the help and have a great day" and off to the next store along the way.

NAPA: I walk in and the guy is on me immediately asking what I am searching for.
I say, "I would like a Holley 8.5 power valve" to which he answers...."A what valve?"
This time I jump right in and try to skip all the build up by saying.
"I am working on a Holley carburetor and the power valve in that carb has failed"..."I need a new power valve and 8.5 is the version I am looking for." "I am pretty sure your part number will be 125-85 because that is the Holley part number."

Tipity-tapity on the keyboard and soon he asks, "what is a power valve?"
To which I answer, "It is a part inside a carburetor"
"What kind of carburetor?" he asks and I say, "Holley".

He types for a while and then he asks, "what car is this on?"
I say, "It does not matter when it comes to power valves but it is a 1966 Shelby GT-350".
Then he asks, "who makes that?" Keep in mind this was a guy old enough to look at least 30.
Of course he can't find this car in the computer so he asks a few more questions but then I ask him...."Are you able to look up Holley carb parts like gaskets, rebuild kits, floats and such things?"...."They may be under your Keystone listings."
He just stares at the screen and then says, "I think so".

At that point I said, "Hey, thanks for your help and you have a great day."
In a moment I am sitting in the parking lot realizing things have changed far more than I understood. Then I thought about calling a friend to see if he had any 8.5 power valves......Nope, like me he had everything but the 8.5.
He did suggest I try the O'Reilly's on Robert street because they still carry some performance parts and Holley stuff....Thanks man, and have a great day.
Off to the next parts store along the way.

O'Reilly's on Robert, which used to carry a LOT of performance parts, but now their selection is relegated to one sheet of pegboard....which is now about 80% more than anyone else carries.
As I walk in the guy asks me what I am looking for and I tell him.....same story, no clue, no ideas, until I ask if they have any carburetor parts in the store.
He directs me to the "performance section" as he is saying, "I don't think we have any of that stuff in the store".
They had some power valves, and some Edelbrock carb stuff too!.....but no 8.5's.....Dang.

Finally I make it to the car and I install the 7.5 power valve I have in my stock.
I tune the carb and everything runs really well again and the owner is very happy with the results.

Today I realized my old ways of going to the auto parts stores for carb parts are finished.
I know the stuff is old, and many of the parts are not regular fare anymore, but having no knowledge of a Holley carbs existence and no knowledge of a power valve?...even its existence? That seems weird to me.

I was especially troubled by the counter help...at two stores....that did not know about the performance parts that are literally hanging on the wall 8 feet from where they stand and work each and every day.
How can you be an auto parts store employee and not look around where you work?
How can you stand in a place for 5-10 hours per day and not be a bit curious about what is literally stocked within your view?

Again, I fully understand the cars and parts I am playing with are old, often 50+ years old, and I usually prepare myself for this prior to entering the store because I know something obscure like the heavy duty waterpump on my 428 is not likely to be listed in the computer......But not knowing Holley.....Even as a brand name?

Today I was in four different auto parts stores, and I dealt with 6 different employees. NONE of them knew what I was looking for.....even when they had an image on the screen it did not trigger any useful outcome.

I try real hard to purchase from local businesses but it seems all my carb business will be through Mikes Carburetor Parts from now on.

frnkeore

• View Profile
Re: My Holley adventure for today.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 12:54:01 AM »
I was a mechanic, for 8 yrs, ending '70 but, I still worked on my cars and race cars, from then to now.

I can tell you he cause of why this is but, not the cure. At one time, ALL the auto parts stores knew their business in detail. Up threw the '90's, that remained, fairly stable. The stores employed MEN, that had family's, most of these MEN, came up in the auto parts business or, got into it young and knew their business. They had a large part of the most popular parts, in their head (not computers). You went in, asked for a part, they went back, in the stock room, and brought it to you! Many had more knowledge of what went on a car, than the journeymen mechanics!

Sometime in the '90's, the "corporate mentality" started and larger parts stores, started buying smaller parts stores and I believe (this my own opinion) that when computers started becoming cheap, they computerized the inventory and quickly found YOUNG men knew computers, pretty well and could find parts on them, quickly but, those young men didn't have the automotive back ground the the MEN had nor, knowledge of cars, extending back every far. They could hire the YOUNG, cheaper than the MEN, that had family's to raise and it went down hill fast, from there. Now we have something, more like "checkers" like Walmart has, at the parts counter.

The last real parts guy, I bought from, was about 6-7 yrs ago. I needed a resister for a coil, for a '50's model, and he just went back and grabbed 2, then asked what one would work for me. That parts store was bought and closed, about 3 yrs ago!!!
Frank

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 07:02:34 AM »
Not surprised at all. EFI has been used now for what, near 30 years, on every car sold in the USA. Heck, asking for parts counter staff for Holley parts is akin to requesting head gaskets for a 1935 flathead Ford engine! Add those 30 years to that flathead era (now 1965) and figure out that it's almost the same distance to the complete takeover of the modern EFI era.

I'll admit though that while it's easy to still get body, engine and suspension parts (and more) and more for older cars, it should not be hard to source Holley carb parts locally. But yes, most are relegated to a hook behind the counter, collecting dust and perhaps never getting sold except to us that search out these parts on occasion. Sad but true.   
Bob Maag

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 08:22:38 AM »
I bet one was hanging on the performance area at the end of the counter.

That being said, last Holleys were in the 80s, these kids were born in the 2000s, hard to expect them to know, not to mention it was a "fast food" parts store. Even in my time, if we wanted shim stock or something odd at a NAPA we had to tell them where to look

I do feel your pain though, I end up doing like you, getting all the info, talking them onto target and often even looking it up on their website before I drive there.  Easier in the long run

The good thing is, if you know what you want, the internet is something we never had back when.  I remember ordering parts from Midwest or PAW and not even being able to track a shipment, never mind knowing if the order got there by MAIL...these are the good times
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 09:29:46 AM »
Were you following me yesterday?  BTDT too many times lately.  Try buying a header collector gasket for a 3" collector at those same places.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 10:04:18 AM »
It is almost painful at times! Very frustrating, but I guess kids don't know what they don't know. Do you sit and wonder, had You Tube, internet, been around when I was working on stuff as a youngster, that you could have done so much more! Info was hard to come by then but we got by, leaned. Now info is on every corner, but some how most are blind to it.  We were talking about this last week....youtube, gps, cell phones......versus ask a friend, or neighbor, go watch and learn, you want to travel, best go buy or barrow a map, mobile phone...that meant a 20ft cord on the wall phone.
Not sure how you can teach this younger generation how to learn....they have the tools, but seems the will is lacking in my opinion....not to mention kids are not the best at knowing when they see bad info too....there is a lot of that in the modern world.  I have tried to teach mine the best I could, and to use logic, basically think on how to think but it has been a battle.  In the long run life will teach them. Your broke and have to make ends meet you learn to fix stuff pretty quick, then they become the old grouchy fart like me in the end HAHA. Experience pays dividends...just takes time. 

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 11:00:23 AM »
8.5s?   I have about a thousand of them.
I don't have them listed individually on my website, but always happy to toss some stuff in a bag for ya.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 12:19:47 PM »
I sure wish I could download my jack of all trades knowledge (and nothing else) into my grand kids brains. They are doomed. Sat. I was at the local junk yard getting a pickup bed and there were 3 kids with only one old enough to drive, walking around with a tool box looking for parts and trinkets to sell on the internet. Did my heart good to see that. The owner of the yard thought it was pretty cool also.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 12:31:37 PM »
Is an 8.5 common. I think every one I look at in any of my carbs has been a 6.5. With that being said I have never had a 715 CFM.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 05:01:10 PM »
Go to Taco Bell. You'll likely get more knowledgeable parts service than any auto parts store.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 08:47:04 PM »
Although I absolutely agree that auto parts counter guys, that knew about cars, have been disappearing in recent years, replaced by young guys that only know what their  stores  computer data tells them, I really can`t fault somebody for not knowing about something that has not been used in a car or engine since before they were born. Even years ago, I would be surprised that something like a Holley power valve would be a stocking item in a run of the mill auto parts store. though a Speed Shop, or performance oriented shop may have such things.  Power valves would be most likely only be available in a carb rebuild kit from a place like autozone, Oriellys or NAPA, and chances are, that wouldn`t be a genuine Holley kit, either. Also, modern parts store computers are likely similar to Rock Auto, where to find anything , you need to first enter the year, make, model, VIN, etc to proceed. Considering how many more auto manufacturers there are since the "Big 3" ruled the roost, and how many different car models, engines, and packages have been produced over the past 40+ years, plus computerized engine management systems and emission controls, I shudder to think how many, and how thick that paper catalogs would have to be to cover everything. Don`t get me wrong, I have walked out of parts stores numerous times, shaking my head and muttering about the state of the automotive industry, but not really surprised that most parts people would not be familiar with vehicles and parts that have not been mainstream for close to 1/2 a century.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 10:52:35 PM »
Although I absolutely agree that auto parts counter guys, that knew about cars, have been disappearing in recent years, replaced by young guys that only know what their  stores  computer data tells them, I really can`t fault somebody for not knowing about something that has not been used in a car or engine since before they were born. Even years ago, I would be surprised that something like a Holley power valve would be a stocking item in a run of the mill auto parts store. though a Speed Shop, or performance oriented shop may have such things.  Power valves would be most likely only be available in a carb rebuild kit from a place like autozone, Oriellys or NAPA, and chances are, that wouldn`t be a genuine Holley kit, either. Also, modern parts store computers are likely similar to Rock Auto, where to find anything , you need to first enter the year, make, model, VIN, etc to proceed. Considering how many more auto manufacturers there are since the "Big 3" ruled the roost, and how many different car models, engines, and packages have been produced over the past 40+ years, plus computerized engine management systems and emission controls, I shudder to think how many, and how thick that paper catalogs would have to be to cover everything. Don`t get me wrong, I have walked out of parts stores numerous times, shaking my head and muttering about the state of the automotive industry, but not really surprised that most parts people would not be familiar with vehicles and parts that have not been mainstream for close to 1/2 a century.
I agree Rory.
For a long time I have not expected the counter help to know exactly what I am looking for, nor have I expected them to have any helpful knowledge concerning the old cars I am fiddling with.

My astonishment came from none of them even knowing what Holley was.
I did not expect them to know a 1966 Shelby 289 came stock with a Holley 715 CFM, LeMans bolw carb.....but I did expect them to know what a Holley carb is....even in the most general manner.
Nope, no clue, and this got my attention.

I have been dealing with people who don't know what I want at the store for a long time, but in the past they has at least a passing knowledge and hints of an idea what I was talking about when it came to general information.
You know, a Mustang is a Ford without being told.
Headers are part of the exhaust system.
Carbs are part of the fuel system...and so on.

Well, not anymore, at least in my general metro area.
Dealing with someone who works at an auto parts store, but does not know what a Holley carb is....no specifics, just a general idea and an ability to look it up, is a lot like someone who works at a music store that does not know who The Beatles were.

Oh well, yet another thing telling me my arms are getting shorter because I am one day closer to being a dinosaur....At least I'll get to be a T-Rex at some point, which might be fun for a while.

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 06:23:50 AM »
When I need a part from a "fast food parts store" I'll look up what I need on their website 1st. Then I'll take the information to the store and tell the parts guy what I have and came up with this part number for it. Then I'll ask him to double ck my number to make sure its right. The number usually sends him right to the page and he confirms it. Saves me a lot of headaches.

ch3no2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2022, 02:47:13 PM »
Go to Taco Bell. You'll likely get more knowledgeable parts service than any auto parts store.
lol. My granddaughter works at Taco Bell. You would be lucky to get Taco Bell info let alone auto parts info.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 08:07:44 PM »
I went into an Auto Zone in Central S.C. when we where on a road trip to see my son . we had a miss in our aviator and I was going to get them to check with their scan tool . they let me barrow it . plugged it in the port under the dash , would not work. went back in and told them. the lady behind the counter ask if I had a blown fluse, told me to check the cig lighter , I did thinking what the hay has that got to do with it. buttt that was the problem with the port and found the number one coil was bad . out smarted by a young lady in a parts store . restored some of faith in some young folks .