Author Topic: Carburetor pad angle  (Read 1282 times)

jmlay

• View Profile
Carburetor pad angle
« on: May 18, 2022, 09:51:43 PM »
While this may be the route some would take I have opted to install an overdrive trans rather than the C6. Consequently a custom trans crossmember will be required. Not having a reference, I would like to solicit from others the measured carb pad angle and frame rail or rocker angle measurement. With this info I hope to ensure the shaker sets correctly. I realize adjustments will likely be required in order to ensure driveline angles are within limits.

Thanks,
Mike

StarlinerRon

• View Profile
Re: Carburetor pad angle
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 12:28:52 AM »
With engine front mounted in car w/o the carb place a level on the carb pad front to rear. Put a jack under the trans tailhousing and lift until the level is centered. Then build c/m to match allowing for some compression of the rubber mount.
Good luck,
Ron.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 04:42:23 AM »
Best place to check engine angle is at the balancer 3 deg up at the front face of the balancer is 3 deg down at the out put shaft that is pretty much std you can download a angle finder app for your phone that can help.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 06:34:48 AM »
Best place to check engine angle is at the balancer 3 deg up at the front face of the balancer is 3 deg down at the out put shaft that is pretty much std you can download a angle finder app for your phone that can help.

I agree, carb pads aren't always the same.  Pan rail, balancer, even the head with a valve cover removed. 3 degrees is pretty much standard.  That being said, "equal to the pinion angle under load" is the right answer, but hard to measure where that is.  3 degrees will get you as close as Ford was
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 07:45:48 AM »
For my own clarification (I've seen these discussions come up before), is the 3 degrees down in front relative to the earth or to something else on the car (e.g. the bottom of the frame rail)?  Even on level ground, it seems like things like worn front springs, big tires in back, etc. would affect things.  So if measuring the bottom of the frame rail shows the front end down 1 degree, would you shoot for the pan rail to be down in front 4 degrees from level?

I realize it sounds kind of absurd to get down to this detail, but if we're only talking a specification of 3 degrees, being off 1 degree would amount to 33%.

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 09:16:06 AM »
I use only custom (hand built) cross members and anything from 3~4 degrees tail down works.  In a car, ends up with the carb pad on the selected intake more or less level.  Level is relative since the stance of the vehicle, tires, work surface, etc are all in play.  Also the intake.  The intake I run on the race car now has zero angle.  I raise the tail housing of the trans into the tunnel, center it, tuck it up as much as I think necessary while leaving a bit of clearance, check where the header collectors land and work around that.  Whatever angle that ends up it what it is. 

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 10:29:35 AM »
For my own clarification (I've seen these discussions come up before), is the 3 degrees down in front relative to the earth or to something else on the car (e.g. the bottom of the frame rail)?  Even on level ground, it seems like things like worn front springs, big tires in back, etc. would affect things.  So if measuring the bottom of the frame rail shows the front end down 1 degree, would you shoot for the pan rail to be down in front 4 degrees from level?

I realize it sounds kind of absurd to get down to this detail, but if we're only talking a specification of 3 degrees, being off 1 degree would amount to 33%.

Pat

Relative to a known plane i.e. the frame. Regardless of the frame sitting level the measurement is the difference between the two. Engine center line, or carb pad which ever you are wanting to control vs frame. Frame at 6 degrees down carb pad at 3 degrees down leaves you with 3 degrees of angle at the carb pad. Last one I did ended up somewhere 2 degrees based on the crank and 3 degrees on the carb pad. Which to have the carb pad perfectly level would have taken 4 degrees on carb and 3 on crank. But I wasn't concerned with the carb being perfectly level just not way off, more worried about crank centerline for drive line and packaging in the chassis reasons. But it can be easier to first level the frame on jackstands to 0 degrees.

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 11:24:37 AM »
Note: I just realized I did not post this on the forum I intended. However, I value input from this forum as well.

With the above being said it would be helpful to this forum to know a bit more information on the specific vehicle in order to obtain specific answers. This is a 69 Mustang with shaker & C6.

I would like to ensure carb angle of the stock intake remains the same after the installation of the OD trans to ensure the shaker set at the appropriate hight & angle. I hope to make any required adjustments to the spring pads to ensure appropriate driveline angle when the time comes.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:39:05 AM by jmlay »
Mike

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 07:13:04 PM »
Being a Mustang,I’ll tell you what I’ve done in the past.
Level the rocker with the door open.
Most Ford intakes with an angled carb pad are 4-5deg angled down in front,so if you level the rocker then level the carb pad you end up with 4-5deg transmission down.

Has worked great so far for me.
It also worked with my 64 Comet.
Lance H

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 12:49:58 AM »

Pat

if you place your angle finder on the balancer face side or the side that your crank pulley bolts on and place your angle finder vertical because the balancer is directly inline with crack it is also directly inline with your output shaft. on the balancer pulley side that will be (eg +3deg or 3 deg up angle. At your out put shaft that will be -3 deg  or 3 deg down angle) 1/2 of a deg + or - is a std happy range to be in. engine mounting angle has nothing to do what angle the car body is on

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 07:56:01 AM »
Thanks BigBlueIron and Jb427 for the info measuring.

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana