Author Topic: Help with cheater slick selection  (Read 2120 times)

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
Re: Help with cheater slick selection
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2022, 06:21:31 PM »
If you get that thing to hook with those gears, you will be leaving the line like a 120 car freight train leaving the station. And with a 150' track, the race will be over before you have time to get up any speed. I recommend setting up a separate pumpkin just for the even with 5.13's or even deeper so you can launch hard and fast. 

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2022, 11:45:50 AM »
I'd do like Joel says. If you launch at say five grand on slicks with that sort of gearing it will bog badly. You may be faster with the street tires spinning like the Greer,Black and Prudhomme.. and certainly more entertaining. For 150 foot drags even 6.00 gears wouldn't be too low... but driving 80 miles on them will seem like an around the world trip.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2022, 12:59:18 PM »
Some clutch slippage and a vac. secondary. make the bog work for you. I love my close 4 sp. and 3.50 gears, although not the hot ticket for hole shots, it sure is fun to grab gears.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2022, 10:32:04 PM »
Back in the mid-60s, I was regularly street racing my '65 Mustang. I ordered it with the K-engine and a Top-loader. Within a few days after getting it, I took the back seat out and replaced it with the fiberglas Shelby deck. I put the Shelby 'glas hood on too. I installed a Cobra intake manifold and a 715 Holley. And a set of Doug's headers and a Mallory ignition and a cam from a local outfit that was available from Gratiot Auto Supply. And finally I installed a Paxton VS 59 blower and did some suspension work. The car weighed 2800 pounds in final form.

There was enough traffic on Telegraph Road that trying to catch a light was a bit difficult but it was fairly easy to come up on a 396 Chevy II and set things up for a roll. I'd choose to be fairly high in first gear, probably about at 45 MPH. But the chevrolet would be into second by that speed and I'd still have usefulness before having to shift. I was running Pirelli Cinturato tires---225-15s as I remember. And a 3.50 gearset in the axle was just right with the close-ratio trans. The Paxton was designed for the FoMoCo racing program and would make more than 20 pounds of boost.

Chevy IIs never had a chance. ;)

KS