Author Topic: Awesome racing so far  (Read 1008 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Awesome racing so far
« on: April 28, 2022, 07:36:06 PM »
Ok, so I know this isn't most of you guys flavor and I know how many of you feel about 1/8th mile drag racing but I gotta say it's been an awesome start to the PDRA season so far and what's even better is quite a few of these guys are showing up at smaller grass roots type 1/8th mile tracks for testing and grudge runs. I have already been to kinston Nc, Hertford Nc, and colonial beach Va this year while some of these guys test and grudge and do quick 8 racing on these sketchy little tracks. I'm talking 3.50's  pro boost cars, 3.60's pro nitrous cars, top sportsman cars that regularly run in the 3.70-3.80 range , and my fave, the mountain motor exstreem pro stock guys running 4.0's on all motor.  All blasting down these narrow little worn out 1/8th mile tracks and putting on one hell of a show. Colonial beach (custom T's motorsports park) is off the chain when the fast guys show up.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Awesome racing so far
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 08:26:58 PM »
I don't know all the in's & outs of the racing circuit, but I'm guessing NHRA is driving a lot of these guys to smaller tracks for the thrill of competing without being "ruled" to death. Seems to be a big trend, probably for the better of the racing community.

A local track to me, La Rue, which is/was basically a hole-in-the-ground track, has shut down to revamp and re-do the track, which is a 1/4 mile track. I never went there because the track has been pretty sketchy for a long time now. It'll be nice to have something local, within a half hours drive to me, to take the car to test 'n tunes and get some stuff sorted out.

How's the engine doing, Keith? A couple years ago, you posted a lot of the stuff you were doing, which was always impressive work, but haven't seen anything in quite a while.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 09:03:55 PM »
The local tracks need all the love and support they can get. I'm all for it!
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 10:03:26 PM »

How's the engine doing, Keith? A couple years ago, you posted a lot of the stuff you were doing, which was always impressive work, but haven't seen anything in quite a while.

Its going,,  kinda slow. Been a few set backs , lost some help. Just got the ol engine back together.  I had cut the whole front end from the fire wall forward off the car and re did it.  That's all done so I'm gonna put the old engine back in soon. Waiting on a new 1 piece front end, it's about to come out of the mold now. Suppose to pick it up on the 14th. Looks like I should be out testing sometime in June, hot as hell ofcourse lol. New engine is setting in my bedroom floor in pieces. Waiting on a crank so I can get the short block together then I'll be ready to move on to the top end once Jay is able to finalize his rockers and intake manifolds.  Mostly been working on a friends top sportsman car. Trying to get it ready for PDRA in Maryland.  I'm still at it, once I get back to work on my own stuff I'll post a little.. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 10:23:26 PM »
My boss has a small 1/8 mile track in PA called South mountain raceway
A couple of weeks ago he had those guys at his track.
A small tire shoot out and a big tire shootout.
A couple of guys from street outlaws were there.
These cars move.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 12:23:24 PM »
Close to Carlisle?
(which I have to re-learn on how to pronounce correctly every time I’m down there).
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 05:11:19 PM »
There's more of that around here.  I'll be at a bracket race tomorrow with TDRA and a small tire shootout adder.  Lubbock is kinda sketch and only has 1/8 mile of run, but they still have the "small tire/big tire" people come run.  Only 1/4 tracks left that I know of are Motorplex, Pine Valley and maybe Penwell.  Everything else left is 1/8 mile. 

Having been involved with a popular 1/8 mile track for 18 years, I can say maintaining a track cost huge $.  It will eventually need to be surfaced or ground.  Last time our track was ground, it was about 800' of concrete and IIRC it was around $60,000.  One reason why many of the older tracks have been shortened to 1/8 mile and are still maybe not the place you want to run your hard tail dragster. 

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 05:52:30 PM »
South Mountain is a great track. Mike is a terrific fellow. We went there on the Sunday after the FE race after first going to Numidia and finding out they cancelled due to predicted weather. South Mountain had a nice turnout and lots of Fords. Stuff like a Coyote Stock Fox Mustang testing , running 6.40 and launching near 8 grand! The people were friendly, the track is very quaint , historic and cool with the stream that runs through and bridges to and from the staging lanes.

I can imagine some of the real fast cars on these little tracks would have to be quite thrilling kind of like the 1960's when Chris Karamesines and TV Tommy Ivo and others were running match races on dirt ovals and seriously sketchy strips.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 08:15:05 PM »
South Mountain is a great track. Mike is a terrific fellow. We went there on the Sunday after the FE race after first going to Numidia and finding out they cancelled due to predicted weather. South Mountain had a nice turnout and lots of Fords. Stuff like a Coyote Stock Fox Mustang testing , running 6.40 and launching near 8 grand! The people were friendly, the track is very quaint , historic and cool with the stream that runs through and bridges to and from the staging lanes.

yes its a nice place and yes Mike will go out of his way to make you happy. Its a comfortable track very family orientated.
My 2 girls like going up there. Now I am 5 hours from there so I go up the day before and hang out.

I can imagine some of the real fast cars on these little tracks would have to be quite thrilling kind of like the 1960's when Chris Karamesines and TV Tommy Ivo and others were running match races on dirt ovals and seriously sketchy strips.
Close to Carlisle?
(which I have to re-learn on how to pronounce correctly every time I’m down there).

Yes only 20 minutes from there. You from that area. If so when I go there we can meet over there. If I can get my motor back and in the car.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 08:20:35 PM by Stangman »